Anyone using Jarrow Formulas' PhosphOmega?

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Has anyone used Jarrow Formulas' PhosphOmega as an omega-3 source for your kitties? My cats are totally not fond of fish oils and salmon oil, and I've yet to try krill oil (in part due to the cost, but mostly because of sustainability issues). So I've been on a hunt for good, "non-fishy" omega-3 sources that might work for the kitties... Any opinion on this product? 

Thanks!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Has anyone used Jarrow Formulas' PhosphOmega as an omega-3 source for your kitties? My cats are totally not fond of fish oils and salmon oil, and I've yet to try krill oil (in part due to the cost, but mostly because of sustainability issues). So I've been on a hunt for good, "non-fishy" omega-3 sources that might work for the kitties... Any opinion on this product? 

Thanks!
Isn't that product just fish oil???
Contains: Fish (sandeel).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the process of making fish oil, but it says

PhosphOmega[emoji]174[/emoji] is derived from fish meal
:dk: Don't know what the difference is, but many salmon oils claim to be sustainable.

This is the one I use:

http://purealaskaomega.com/salmon-oil
http://www.alaskaproteinrecovery.com/salmonoil

It has 100mg EPA and 120mg DHA per 1000mg capsule.

According to the Pure Alaska Omega, there's a real difference in quality as re: processing. Given what we know about the rendering process, I believe it (which is why I use the one I do. :lol3: ).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's from fish meal, and apparently doesn't taste "fishy". It's that fishy smell and taste of fish oils and salmon oil which put my cats off, so I need to find an omega-3 option which is more palatable...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the process of making fish oil, but it says
:dk: Don't know what the difference is, but many salmon oils claim to be sustainable.

This is the one I use:

http://purealaskaomega.com/salmon-oil
http://www.alaskaproteinrecovery.com/salmonoil

It has 100mg EPA and 120mg DHA per 1000mg capsule.

According to the Pure Alaska Omega, there's a real difference in quality as re: processing. Given what we know about the rendering process, I believe it (which is why I use the one I do. :lol3: ).
Is this better than the NOW Krill oil? I certainly like the price better.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on what you're using it for. :lol3: The only reason I don't feed krill oil to all the cats is that I can't afford it. The krill oil has something in it that really helps with joints, because I saw no difference in Flowerbelle running and jumping around with the salmon oil, but I do on the krill oil. So right now, I'm giving Lazlo and Flowerbelle the krill oil. I gave it to Chumley and Billy for a while, but I found out that it's better to limit the amount of omega 3s for FIV+ kitties, and Billy didn't lose weight faster with the krill oil.

So I split a 1,000mg salmon oil capsule between 6 cats 3x a day (which means they each get 500mg daily), and Lazlo and Flowerbelle get the 500mg of krill oil daily.

I think krill has more astaxanthan or whatever it is. I think salmon oil has some phospholipids - but clearly (from Flowerbelle's behavior) there IS something different about krill. :nod:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, it's from fish meal, and apparently doesn't taste "fishy". It's that fishy smell and taste of fish oils and salmon oil which put my cats off, so I need to find an omega-3 option which is more palatable...
Are you able to just pill them? Flowerbelle and Lazlo don't like the krill oil, so I just pill them with the small gelcap.

The problem is that any omega 3 a cat can use is going to smell fishy. Any plant-based omega 3 isn't going to be usable by kitty, because they lack the digestive enzyme needed to convert ALA into EPA and DHA.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try very slowly adding the fish or krill oil to their food. Start with just a tiny bit then slowly increase over time. They will give them a chance to get used to the new smell and taste.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips, folks!

So, last night, I got my hands on a sample pack of Jarrow Formulas' PhosphOmega ... and whaddya know, the furkids lapped it up - like they never do for salmon oil and fish oil!

Guess that solves my wee problem :) Well, provided they don't turn fickle on me!