Anyone Used Ace To Calm Their Kitties?

shesmylight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i can't remember the whole name of this pill, but I got it from Hikari's vet a few days ago.
She and I are making a move to be with my future husband. We are moving all the way to MN so we will be going on a plane. The vet gave me this pill I am supposed to give her half of, it's called ace something. I read about it and it said it was supposed to relax her for 6 to 8 hours. I got pill pockets to try her on to see if she would take the pill in one. I gave her one of the soft treats by itself in her food bowl. She would not touch the food until I took that evil thing out! lol
Have any of you given this to your cat, and how did they react? I thought of crushing the pill and putting it in a bit of tuna. Problem is, what if she has to use the loo while on the plane due to eating the tuna? I was going to put some towels in her soft carrier just in case she has a bodily reaction to something on the plane...but we all know how noxious the odor is when our cats eliminate! I wouldn't want to make others on the plane ill from that...even if i am used to it, some may not be!
Thanks for any help you can provide.
London and Hikari

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of Ace. Vet gave it to her for travel, and it made her meows softer, but she was still stressed. I prefer gabapentin for travel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shesmylight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of Ace. Vet gave it to her for travel, and it made her meows softer, but she was still stressed. I prefer gabapentin for travel.
Thank you for your frank answer.
Unfortunately, I do not think there is time for me to get that for her. I am not sure what to do at this point. I did get some feliway calming spray for the inside of the carrier...but not sure how much good that will do for a 3 hour flight!
i am worried about her and i don't want her to be too stressed or upset. If she causes a disruption on the plane she won't be allowed to fly with me.
She goes where i go...so if she doesn't go...
:(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a pill popper (like this: Lixit Pill Popper, Purple) if she won't take the pill in food. Most pet stores should sell a similar product.

Does she tend to get overly stressed when she goes places? If not, she may be fine without the sedative. If she does need the pill, be careful about keeping her warm/cool while she's under the influence, because sedatives make it harder for the cat to self-regulate their temperature.

For inside the carrier, I'd recommend something disposable, not towels. Puppy housetraining pads are good. That way if she soils it you can just ask the flight attendant for a diaper disposal bag and get rid of it, instead of dragging a nasty towel along. And bring plenty of extras!