Anyone use Gabapentin/prednisolone?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet prescribed Gabapentin and Prednisolone for Lucy since she's having a bobbing head and a few silent/rigid seizure type of events. When Lu was taking the pain med (the one that starts with an O...the name has slipped my mind), she had none of these but after three days, she can't take those any longer. Gave her the first dosages. I swear it seems to have made things worse. I can't really tell if she had a seizure....she was laying in what looked like a weird and uncomfortable position (on me...she needs to be on me at night...for comfort I imagine. But her head was towards to foot if the bed and I did not want to interfere with it if it was a seizure. She went to drink water tonight twice within 10 mins of each other and each time was a good 2-3 mins. It was odd. Though, I know it can cause things like this, she had just taken the meds a couple of hours earlier. Then, when she turned around when she was done with the water and started walking away, she did what looked like a cross between a stumble and shake but she was able to recover ok. I can't tell if this is part of a neuro issue, a side effect, or pain that's causing all of this. Can these meds do this or could it be a result of the pain because she's off pain-meds?

She is licking her front legs and paws constantly. I mean...they are shaking wet. Both of them. She's been doing that off and on but tonight seemed to be even more-so.

I truly don't think she feels well, though, and I'm trying to figure out if it's meds making it worse or a condition. She's eating a TON of food, too...since like 10, she's eaten a can and a half of Fancy Feast (in three hours, which is a lot for her. If I put it down, she's going to eat.

I am so panicked that I'm ready to pack her up and take her to an emergency vet. She is now just laying here on me with her head down. I'm not thinking I'm going to give her anymore of those meds. That was truly was scary.

They can't get her in for extractions until the 22nd and I cannot let her live like this for that long. I'm seriously considering euthanasia. I'm am out of options and she is almost 20yrs old. It's just too painful to watch. :(

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet prescribed Gabapentin and Prednisolone for Lucy since she's having a bobbing head and a few silent/rigid seizure type of events. When Lu was taking the pain med (the one that starts with an O...the name has slipped my mind), she had none of these but after three days, she can't take those any longer. Gave her the first dosages. I swear it seems to have made things worse. I can't really tell if she had a seizure....she was laying in what looked like a weird and uncomfortable position (on me...she needs to be on me at night...for comfort I imagine. But her head was towards to foot if the bed and I did not want to interfere with it if it was a seizure. She went to drink water tonight twice within 10 mins of each other and each time was a good 2-3 mins. It was odd. Though, I know it can cause things like this, she had just taken the meds a couple of hours earlier. Then, when she turned around when she was done with the water and started walking away, she did what looked like a cross between a stumble and shake but she was able to recover ok. I can't tell if this is part of a neuro issue, a side effect, or pain that's causing all of this. Can these meds do this or could it be a result of the pain because she's off pain-meds?

She is licking her front legs and paws constantly. I mean...they are shaking wet. Both of them. She's been doing that off and on but tonight seemed to be even more-so.

I truly don't think she feels well, though, and I'm trying to figure out if it's meds making it worse or a condition. She's eating a TON of food, too...since like 10, she's eaten a can and a half of Fancy Feast (in three hours, which is a lot for her. If I put it down, she's going to eat.

I am so panicked that I'm ready to pack her up and take her to an emergency vet. She is now just laying here on me with her head down. I'm not thinking I'm going to give her anymore of those meds. That was truly was scary.

They can't get her in for extractions until the 22nd and I cannot let her live like this for that long. I'm seriously considering euthanasia. I'm am out of options and she is almost 20yrs old. It's just too painful to watch. :(
If you can afford to take her to the ER please do.. I understand just how scary some meds can be and how much it makes us worry for them.. before you put her down consider taking her to the ER if you can .. It is very scary I know and when you love them as we do you cant help but to panic..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually got Lucy calmed down and to sleep. She seemed to recover and wanted to sleep. She couldn't keep her eyes open and she is still sleeping. I have put email into the vet's office about this, but I truly think Lucy is in pain, as a whole. When there is something wrong like this, I've always taken my cats to Michigan State Univ small animal clinic. It's 250 to get through the door, but I know within a short period of time (within a few hours max). I did not do it this time because funds were set aside for extractions, but quite honestly, I think Lucy is stressed and tired...and we are too. I'm not sure switching to the vet that we did was anymore help than the one we left. A cat with an urgent medical issue and they cannot/will not rearrange a schedule for urgency? If a vet called me and told they have an urgent case and would I mind moving my routine procedure to another day, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It doesn't appear they are doing any of that and I'm not going to let Lucy wait that long. They wanted to refer her to a nuerologist. I can't do that. More doctors, procedures, meds...it'd be too much on her, I think. :(. Her licking paws looked as if she stepped out of a shower and a spot on the down comfort was noticeably wet where age was laying. She had beads of saliva hanging from her chin (not frothy...just liquid beads from producing so much). She just was not looking good and I was going to take her to the ER, but she put her head down to rest and she slept soundly for a few hours. She is sleeping again now. I think I might try doing that now, too, while things are stable. If she is acting that same way when she wakes up, I will take her in, for sure. Not sure what they can do for her, though....stabilize her? This is one thing I've never seen before in a cat. It's very, very scary.