Anyone travel a lot?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I adopted Juno during the first year of Covid. I was in a new job and maybe "misunderestimated" how much I would eventually have to travel when (three years later) things got back to normal. I'm now in a phase where I have to travel two to four times a month. If it's just for a quick overnight, I have four auto-feeders I can set out. If it's for two or three days, I am super lucky that my mom can swing by once a day to play and set out feeders. If it's longer, I take her to my mom's, though she HATES the transition (getting put in carrier and car ride). Last month, I had two four-day trips separated by 6 days and I decided to keep her at my mom's instead of ferrying her back and forth to avoid that stress (even though I super missed her while I was home in between).

Can any relate? If so, did your kitty do ok? Were there any things that helped make it less stressful for them? On the plus side of too many work demands, my weekend routine is now roughly the same as my weekday one when not traveling (at desk all day, with Juno on her window perch above), so at least she gets some routine on rain-check? But Juno has learned to dread the Red Suitcase, and it breaks my heart. Would love to hear from anyone who's had similar issues, even just to commiserate.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to travel for work for years, trips that could be as long as five days. I set out several bowls of water and a huge amount of dry food. I had one or two adult cats at time and they did just fine.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have to travel too often, but I think you do have to weigh whether your girl would rather stay at home than go to your mom's. Some cats don't have much issue with a change in scenery. Other cats really hate it and hide and are stressed the whole time. I had 2 that were very shy around others so they just stayed home. I'm sure it was a bit quiet/boring for those days, but I think they preferred that over going anywhere else. Also, if it helps at all... I have an auto-feeder that can last for almost 2 weeks without a refill. Someone would just need to scoop and/or change out water depending on your setup.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't travel, at all. But I'm on the opposite side of your dilemma.
We offer boarding for cats (and dogs), and we have some cats who frequent our facility. Once they have been here several times, they seem to come around almost immediately.
Are you able to set up a spot that's "hers" at your Mom's? You could bring her litter, box, a bed, blankets, toys, or anything else she likes and she could call that room "hers" until she's ready to come out and explore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't travel, at all. But I'm on the opposite side of your dilemma.
We offer boarding for cats (and dogs), and we have some cats who frequent our facility. Once they have been here several times, they seem to come around almost immediately.
Are you able to set up a spot that's "hers" at your Mom's? You could bring her litter, box, a bed, blankets, toys, or anything else she likes and she could call that room "hers" until she's ready to come out and explore.
I think she does OK once she's at my mom's. She still does sometimes hide under the bed and bat/hiss at my mom, but she also snuggles with my mom and has a nice routine. It's the car ride that she hates. She hates it when I take her from my mom's house too, even though it means going home.

I worry about leaving her alone for too many days in a row. I'd have to switch her to dry food only, and I worry she'd get lonely or sick without anyone noticing. I did have a cat sitter come stay over when I went on a two week vacation, and it worked out well, but I usually don't get enough advance notice of my work trips to make that feasible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would cameras in a couple places around your home, that you could check on your phone, help? You could see how she's doing, how she's behaving etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would cameras in a couple places around your home, that you could check on your phone, help? You could see how she's doing, how she's behaving etc?
You know, that's a great idea to consider. I'm generally not a fan of having cameras in my unit that are hooked up to the internet for cybersecurity reasons, but if I only use them when I'm gone, then the benefits might outweigh the risks.