Anyone Knows About Mainecoon?

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I've adopted maine coon kitten male from mainecoon breeder today.

I have doubt about weird situation.

First, my breeder wanted to meet in public place and then give me kittens
I wanted to see my kitten's parents in person, but he doesn't want it because he had experienced bad things in past.
He just showed me pictures of kittens parents. Honestly, I do not trust his words.
Also, kitten's parents weight over 30 pounds.

Second, breeder's all cats are registered to CFA, ,but this paper seems to be not proper paper.
third, my breeder doesn't care for my kittens to get neuter. He told me that if you do not want to get him neuter, you don't have to.
Also, my kitten is pretty smaller than other mainecoon he was born july 2

Do you think this kitten is purebred mainecoon?
These are kitten's parents and my kitten picutures

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How did you find this breeder?
Do you have a contract? I'd be interested to know if the contract includes breeding rights since the breeder has said he doesn't care if the kitten is neutered. Also, it there a health guarantee?

I have to say the form raises several red flags for me.

First of all, I would expect the information on an official CFA kitten registration form to be typed, not hand written.
The litter registration number on this form is not a valid CFA litter registration number.
I did not find this cattery name on the list of CFA catteries.

It's also a bit odd to include the NYC LLC as part of the cat's registered name, but I supposed that could be valid.
For Breeder, it should be the breeder's name, not the name of the cattery.
If the parents are CFA registered I would expect them to have full names that start with the cattery name, not just a single word name. The sire and dam should also have their CFA registration numbers on the form.

The color description of Creamy White is not a recognized color in any CFA breed. If anything it would be Cream and White, and from what I can see in these pictures this kitten would more likely be Cream Tabby and White (can't see enough of the pattern to tell if it's Mackerel or Classic Tabby).

It's not unusual for breeders to meet at a neutral location because many of them have their catteries in their homes and don't want strangers coming in. It does make it difficult for buyers who want as much information as possible before buying a kitten or cat. You could ask for the CFA registration numbers of the parents so you could look them up on the CFA website yourself to make sure they really are registered.

The kitten in the pictures is awfully young to be able to tell if he's a purebred Maine Coon. He certainly has some of the characteristics, but needs to develop more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a contract? I'd be interested to know if the contract includes breeding rights since the breeder has said he doesn't care if the kitten is neutered. Also, it there a health guarantee?

First of all, I would expect the information on an official CFA kitten registration form to be typed, not hand written.
The litter registration number on this form is not a valid CFA litter registration number.

It's also a bit odd to include the NYC LLC as part of the cat's registered name, but I supposed that could be valid.
If the parents are CFA registered I would expect them to have full names that start with the cattery name, not just a single word name. The sire and dam should also have their CFA registration numbers on the form.

The color description of Creamy White is not a recognized color in any CFA breed. If anything it would be Cream and White, and from what I can see in these pictures this kitten would more likely be Cream Tabby and White (can't see enough of the pattern to tell if it's Mackerel or Classic Tabby).

It's not unusual for breeders to meet at a neutral location because many of them have their catteries in their homes and don't want strangers coming in. It does make it difficult for buyers who want as much information as possible before buying a kitten or cat. You could ask for the CFA registration numbers of the parents so you could look them up on the CFA website yourself to make sure they really are registered.

The kitten in the pictures is awfully young to be able to tell if he's a purebred Maine Coon. He certainly has some of the characteristics, but needs to develop more.
Yes He provides health garauntee.
I am afraid that asking about detail because He was mad at me that I asked him a lot of questions
He said if you don't want to get him, let me know I will refund.
this is his facebook Mainecoon registered kittens ny state and nj state
could you check please?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid that asking about detail because He was mad at me that I asked him a lot of questions
He said if you don't want to get him, let me know I will refund.
To me this is a MAJOR red flag! While breeders don't want to have their time wasted, they should welcome questions. I always felt that it was a sign that the potential owners took cat ownership seriously and were willing to learn. There was really nothing on the FB page that provides information about this person.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sungjae pae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for replying. I do not know how to reply on all of your answers. I really appreciate it.
Honestly, I do not care whether my kitten is registered or not, but I care about purebred of mainecoon.
The one thing I doubt is my kitten is smaller compare to other's mainecoon.
My breeder said "He will catch up, do not worry."
I hope he is a purebred of mainecoon. I spent 1000 bucks to adopt him

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet receipt is a rather hefty prices. Your 1000 dollar payment is of course in part supposed to be a repay for the costs.

I know fancy vets take more than in the low costs clinics. The cats are typically having insurance. And the buyer of a pedigree cat will pay. So they dont have any reason to held the costs as low as possible.

Still, I find the priceing hefty. It doensnt even say in clear about a good vet check up, its most about taking blood samples (really dont saying much in a kitten), vaccinating and deworming.

Anyway, IF you want to check up, the vet clinic is another source for checking up. They prob wont answer questions about individual patients - for humans they wouldnt! but at At least, control if its their usual priceing.

The supposed parents are surely MCO, Im not entirely sure of the kitten. Of course he could be regarded as pet quality. If so, he wouldnt necessarily look typical.

The breeder being angry you are asking, is a strong warning sign. Him not wanting to deal with you may be his personage. But his using his angriness is a typical trick of the bully and scammer.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying. I do not know how to reply on all of your answers. I really appreciate it.
Honestly, I do not care whether my kitten is registered or not, but I care about purebred of mainecoon.
The one thing I doubt is my kitten is smaller compare to other's mainecoon.
My breeder said "He will catch up, do not worry."
I hope he is a purebred of mainecoon. I spent 1000 bucks to adopt him
I answered your other post also but didn't read this one first. Male Maine Coons cost more than females because they are in more demand. IF you have breeders rights then $1000 is reasonable. In my area you can't get a Coony for that price from one of the top area breeders. I do think it makes a big difference what area your in. How many breeders in your area is a big factor I think. Most breeders in my area run $1250 and as high as $1750 and some have a waiting list of up to 6 months and longer if your looking for specific colors, patterns, etc. Some breeders take deposits and some don't. One breeder in my area suspends deposits periodically on males because he just can't keep up.

As far as size of your cat. He may catch up and he may not. One breeder I visited his cattery told me that he had a runt and just wasn't gaining weight. He had someone that had purchased several cats from him and they were looking for another one with certain markings similar to the cat they currently had. Just so happened that the runt had those colors. He just gave the runt to her. A year later she sent him a picture and he couldn't tell which one was the runt, he had to ask. The runt wound up being 19lbs and wasn't fully grown. You just never know!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I meant to add. I agree there seems to be something fishy about the breeder as others have stated above. I do think you have a Maine Coon though if only pet quality.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those papers are completely illegitimate. None of that looks right to me. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Have you reported him to CFA yet or at least contacted them yet? I’m curious as to what they will say. If he was a legit breeder why falsify papers? Perhaps one of neither of the parents were registered but seeing how he’s “cattery name “ doesn’t even exist I’d say he’s lied about most everything as far as registration is concerned with his cats and his cattery.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. If he isnt at all a CFA breeder, but pretending to be a CFA breeder, he will prob become intressant for them and their lawyers. I dont think they want people pretend to be CFA breeders where they arent, and risk to draw the CFA name into filth or at very best, draw pluspoints from their name without paying for it. Its worse than an intrusion into a trademark.

Those papers are completely illegitimate. None of that looks right to me. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. Have you reported him to CFA yet or at least contacted them yet? I’m curious as to what they will say. If he was a legit breeder why falsify papers? Perhaps one of neither of the parents were registered but seeing how he’s “cattery name “ doesn’t even exist I’d say he’s lied about most everything as far as registration is concerned with his cats and his cattery.