Anyone know what pill capsules are feline safe?

sillywoody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to divide a powder prescription for my cat and want to put the powder into smaller pills.

Are 100% gelatin capsules safe for cats? What about ones made for human consumption? Insights appreciated, thanks!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to compound meds for one of my kitties in gel caps....I just used the ones I got from the pharmacy. I don't know what they were made of...they were just the ones they use for us humans. When I asked my vet if I could put all his meds in one or two gel caps to make it easier on him (and me) as he had 7 different meds to take, she simply told me to get them from any pharmacy that compounds medications, she never specified if there were any that were unsafe for cats. They do come in different sizes though so I would recommend you get the smallest capsule possible that will fit the medication.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Empty Capsules on Sale

This is the brand that I have always used with my dog and with cats. The dog had to be pilled, so we used these literally for years with no problem.

On the left side it shows and explains sizes. They are opposite of what you might think in that 00 is the largest and 5 is the smallest. I used 4 with cats, but you might have to experiment. 00 was used for a German shepherd, I should add.

These are available on Amazon and other outlets.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any capsule is fine. I would trust a gelatin capsule over a vegan capsule only because I don't know what's being used in the vegan capsule.

nanniecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to divide a powder prescription for my cat and want to put the powder into smaller pills.

Are 100% gelatin capsules safe for cats? What about ones made for human consumption? Insights appreciated, thanks!
i buy mine fr the vet