Anyone Know Anything About IDEXX Blood Tests

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my hands on the IDEXX Lab Test Directory for 2020 and 2021. The code for a senior screen (chem 25, urinalysis, T4) is 8659999 and they list the cost around $118.

I contacted my vet clinic and asked for the cost and they said they charge over $240. BUT, they also said this includes the FeLV/FIV test and the ProBNP (heart test), but that's not what's in the IDEXX directory. That senior screen does not contain the ProBNP or FeLV/FIV testing.

I cannot figure out how to get this test done without all these added charges. I want a chem25, T4, and urinalysis without paying these ridiculous prices for tests I don't need. They keep trying to get me to do tests that do not include phosphorus and calcium for a cat that clearly has kidney issues.

I feel like I'm dealing with some shady used car salesperson. My vet genuinely cares, is a good person and has always tried to keep prices low, so I don't understand this. The only thing I can figure is that they're incredibly stupid or I'm not understanding something.

Any suggestions that don't involve switching vet clinics?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is it a code issue? I once had a terrible time with a very good doctor who runs a very good office because a code number had changed or something could not be added to or subtracted from a "bundle" of tests because of the code number. Eventually it was solved. Can you access a list of the IDEXX code numbers and read their corresponding tests?

Failing that, given that you did not say that you are using pet insurance ( and I am not sure that codes carry the same weight in that world), maybe you need to push the doctor to do exactly what you want him to do.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would imagine that the vet’s quoted cost for a test includes not only the cost that they pay IDEXX to run the labs, but also the labor and materials costs for the blood draw and shipping/handling, overhead costs for the clinic, and whatever amount the clinic makes from it.
It sounds like your vet is saying that when they do a senior cat screening they also include the heart test and FIV test on top of the idexx “senior panel” - there isn’t one standard senior panel that all vets use, so maybe that’s included in theirs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave the tech the code number and she says, "oh, the senior screen." That's exactly what the test is, but the things she says are included aren't right. I think they are adding the add-on tests to that, but that should be optional for me. I looked up the price for those addons and it comes to the amount they quoted me. The senior screen 8659999 is as common a senior screen as there is. There shouldn't be any issues with just running that test.

They also told me before that IDEXX sets the price. So what I pay is what IDEXX charges. And like I said, I have the current IDEXX directory of their laboratory tests - with prices.

When a cat has kidney issues, especially when trying to diagnose them, it's important to run the appropriate tests. It's strange that so many veterinarians don't understand that. I guess what I can do is provide a list of what I want done (CBC, Chem 25, T4, Urinalysis) and things I don't want (Spec fPL, FeLV/FIV, ProBNP - because we just checked those). Part of the problem is that the communication is being done via email and "phone tag." I'm not allowed to go in there so it's hard to put pressure on them to do what I want.

The techs are awful because when I've asked if the test included phosphorus, they've said it did when it did not. Or some will tell me they don't know, but then not be bothered to help find a test that includes that. That's why I've gone through the hassle of finding all these IDEXX tests. I'm so tired of this crap! I doubt it would be better going to another clinic, but I'm looking for someplace else to go.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with you completely about having a say in which tests are included. What if you, in theory, could only pay for the 4 you want? Does that mean that nothing gets run? Maybe finding another vet is the best solution. As for the techs, it runs the gamut from the really knowledgeable ones who could run the clinic to the ones who "only work there."

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave the tech the code number and she says, "oh, the senior screen." That's exactly what the test is, but the things she says are included aren't right. I think they are adding the add-on tests to that, but that should be optional for me. I looked up the price for those addons and it comes to the amount they quoted me. The senior screen 8659999 is as common a senior screen as there is. There shouldn't be any issues with just running that test.

They also told me before that IDEXX sets the price. So what I pay is what IDEXX charges. And like I said, I have the current IDEXX directory of their laboratory tests - with prices.

When a cat has kidney issues, especially when trying to diagnose them, it's important to run the appropriate tests. It's strange that so many veterinarians don't understand that. I guess what I can do is provide a list of what I want done (CBC, Chem 25, T4, Urinalysis) and things I don't want (Spec fPL, FeLV/FIV, ProBNP - because we just checked those). Part of the problem is that the communication is being done via email and "phone tag." I'm not allowed to go in there so it's hard to put pressure on them to do what I want.

The techs are awful because when I've asked if the test included phosphorus, they've said it did when it did not. Or some will tell me they don't know, but then not be bothered to help find a test that includes that. That's why I've gone through the hassle of finding all these IDEXX tests. I'm so tired of this crap! I doubt it would be better going to another clinic, but I'm looking for someplace else to go.
What I meant was more that what my vet likes to check across the board for senior cats may differ slightly from what the vet down the road likes to check, hence the variation.

It sounds like there’s not much you can do besides going to a different vet if you’ve already communicated this stuff to them. I do think that vets can be (completely understandably imo) defensive about people coming in with a list of exactly what they want done because at the end of they day they’re the medical doctor with the training and clinical experience and the client isn’t and some of those people can be very difficult to work with as clients, but it sounds like you’ve been clear in your requests and they’re just kinda unorganized.

There are definitely vets/clinics that are a lot more cognizant of people’s limited means to pay for vet care and in my experience at least they tend to be better at finding ways to reduce the cost for people (ie do we have to run the whole panel or can we do just the two values we need?)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry if I missed something in these posts, but the simple solution is to ask for a rundown of what the tests are that your vet standardly runs and the breakdown of what each test involves and how much each individual test costs. No vet has to run all of those tests you mentioned every time, so I am guessing whatever lab they are dealing with might give the vet some 'package' deal. You can't go by what you find on the internet related to searches on IDEXX testing and assume it applies to your vet and the lab they use.

Btw, my vet uses Antech, and the Super Chem includes phosphorus. I think you need to find out what lab your vet uses and that might help immensely.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on the hospital what they have to pay per test. So unless it’s a price book from the hospital it could be different.
Mark up of 250% on lab fees is common. Think about it. The vet has to pay for staff, insurance, overhead costs etc. they need to be paid.