Anyone have Side effects with dewormer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister has a kitten, pure Persian, the kitten is small for his size, and we found out he does have a larger heart than normal. He is between 4 and 5 months old. He has been to the vet and had xrays , they listened to his heart, checked lungs etc.

Lungs were clear, heart sounded normal, but he does get where his heart races sometimes, and he gets out of breath. He was a real runt, but has been growing, eating well, and a really nice hair coat coming in.

We know he has issues, but the Revolution dewormer he was given, was a dose that would do up to 5 lbs, and they never weighed him, they sent it home with my sister. He only weighs about 11/2  lbs, is my guess. I think he had a definite reaction. More lethargic, not eating as well, gums and tongue were darker, he had more heavy breathing, lying around more, she was afraid to lose him last night.

The vet said his temperature was almost too low when she took him in on Monday, he said it was almost hypothermia, about 37.5 C and to keep him warm, but the vet at the same clinic she called during the night, said that is not that low, and he may have been over heated when she had him on heated gel packs, and he was in a box and started panting and acting in distress. We got him settled down and resting comfortably about 4 am this morning.

He had the dewormer on Friday, today is Tuesday, so our question is, now that he has the dewormer in him, and is not a happy camper, how long does it take to the effects to wear off, and he would feel better? The vet said there is nothing they can do now that he has been dewormed. Anyone who has had reactions from dewormer in a cat or kitten, and remembers how long symptoms last and any hints would be greatly appreciated. The vets all deny the dewormer could be causing any of this, but I can google it and it is all over the internet, just not how long it lasts, and how to help the kitten feel better.

Finger crossed...

Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had this happen to me.  I know the Revolution can affect cats with health issues.  I know it's supposed to last 30 days which means it will stay in his system a little longer than that so I would guess it will take at least a month for the effects to fully wear off.  He should gradually get better I would think.  Unfortunately I think vets just like human doctors get used to giving routine medications like the Revolution and it becomes something automatic without really thinking about it.

chromia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dewormer medications usually say if symptoms don't elevate within a couple of days/week, wait 30 days before giving them another treatment.

So, I think it definitely stays in the system for around 30 days like the person above says.  I feel like any side effects should ware off in the first week.  I just gave both my cats dewormer 2 weeks ago and I noticed a slight increase in them using the liter box the first week or so, but nothing really has changed since. 

I really hope your little guy gets better! Good luck!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The side effects (from what I've seen at the Vet clinic I work at) can last anywhere from a few days to a couple of days or more.  However most of the time the lethargy goes away after a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tim Bit didn't make it, Thanks for your replies. We had him at the vet twice, after  my initial post.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss.  I would report the reaction to both Zoetis (company who makes Revolution) as well as the FDA.  IMHO the vet should NOT have given the kitten the Revolution.  The kitten had health problems.  Part of the prescribing information says:   Do not use in sick, debilitated or underweight animals (see SAFETY)  https://www.revolution4cats.com/rvgame/full_infill.pdf‎   & again from their website: Important Safety Information: Do not use on sick, weak, or underweight cats. Use only on cats 8 weeks and older.  https://www.revolution4cats.com/default.aspx

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Poor little guy, that is such a shame.

I was going to tell you that some of my cats have had a similar reaction to Profender de-wormer....but I guess there isn't much point now.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry.  I second reporting this.  The last time I looked at Revolution which was quite some time ago there was 1 death reported and it was a debilitated cat.  The more reports the more attention and publicity the risk gets with vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.