Anyone Have Experience With The Pu (perineal Urethrostomy) Male Surgery?

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Our four-year-old male cat spent two days in the ER this week for a urinal blockage, was discharged and 12 hours later was brought back for another blockage and is staying there for another couple days while they monitor him.

We are hoping and praying that medicine/medical food/a transfer from dry to wet food will really help him and do the trick long-term. That'd be ideal!

However, we have done some research about a PU (perineal urethrostomy) surgery that would essentially turn his "male part" into a female one to help urine flow easier long-term. The ER suggested this as a last resort if we want to go that route. But, the cost of this procedure is extremely high (estimated $4500) and there's no guarantee that he'll be all set after that. He could get UTIs, blockages, infections, etc.

I've heard good things about the surgery but if I'm going to spend $4500, I can't feel comfortable knowing there could still be issues afterward. I was hoping to get some community feedback from those who have gone through it.

I love my cat like a son (as you can all understand) but, for that price and the reasons above, if he continues to experience blockages after already spending $4,000 at the ER this week...I fear I may have to make "the call" if things don't improve. It's horrifying to even think of but $10K for a non-guarantee is very, very scary.

Thank you all for your time <3

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
When my boy was about two he had the PU surgery (this was before I got him). According to the medical records I received when I adopted him, his vet advised that he be put on daily canned food, which he was, and when we adopted him, we continued with mostly wet food supplemented with kibble. He has been free of any issues.

I'm sending tons of thoughts and prayers to you and your cat :vibes::heartshape:

Last edited:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t forget there’s never a guarantee where living things are involved. The best you can do is make sure the vet who does the surgery has done a lot of them with reasonable success. Find out how many patients he’s operated on went on to block again. Maybe find a vet who specializes in surgery. Good luck. I know how expensive it can be. And scary. And discouraging.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My male cat had Pu surgery in May 2017. He was 3 years old. He blocked and we were hoping he would be ok. 48 hours later, he blocked again and we decided to do the pu surgery. It was his only option. I was not ready to let him go.

The after care was rough. Cisco had a few complications. But in the end, he recovered and did really really well.

Unfortunately he blocked again this past April. It is believed that the Prozac he was on caused urinary retention that led to a blockage. When he blocked the first time, it was a mass of crystals. This time it sediment.

I stopped all dry food. Cisco is not a big water drinker. I add 5 T. to his food (split between 3 meals) per day. I do not use prescription food, just high quality wet food. Water water is your best friend and no dry food. What kind of food is your cat eating?

As mentioned above, there are no guarantees. I could never had put my boy down at the age of 3 without first trying.

I now have him on a cocktail of supplements that seem to have stabilized him again.

If I had to do it all over again, I still would do the surgery. Even with some complications and reblocking 2 years now, it was still the best decision.

kittysmother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had the PU surgery done on our 9 year old cat a few weeks ago. It's going well, but his recovery has been stressful on us and our two other cats. I am able to stay home with him and watch over him. We do not regret doing the surgery or the hours we've put into nursing him back to health, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. It's not just the stress of the surgery, but the recovery. I feel like I'm working in a nursing home. Stress of watching him heal, stress in watching him do things that could undermine his own recovery (stepping in his poop, knocking over his litter box, not being able to groom and scratch itches, not being able to eat wet food without his cone removed, vomiting in his cone...)these are things I could assist with since I've been home with him all day. If I had to work he wouldn't have gotten the same care. He's worth every penny and worry though!

kyrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy had surgery earlier this spring, hes 5, and he hasnt had any urinary issues since. However, he is constantly licking the area and the vets cant seem to figure out why. Going to the vet every month for more meds (Gabapentin) and trying other meds and creams. Goinf back in next week where they will sedate him and check out the site closer or Ill have to bring him back to the surgeons which is 12 hour round trip.

Hes worth it and I would do it again, just hoping they figure out the licking.