Anyone have experience with pet cleaning wipes?

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a pretty sick kitty who, from splashes of meds that have missed their mark, is getting a bit sticky! I noticed today a small mat under her chin (she is medium haired) that I cut out with scissors, but want to clean her and also work out the matted hair closer to the skin that couldn't be cut out (really a very small area, maybe the size of a dime or less, but don't want to leave it and have the mat grow!)

So since she can't be bathed with water right now (being treated for an inner ear infection) I was thinking of trying pet bath wipes. Does anyone have experience using them? Do they seem to work for you? 

Any other ideas if you don't like using the wipes?

Thanks!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have used them often.  I've found them good for cleaning kitties' messy little faces.  
  I had a white cat who needed to be syringe fed sometimes and the wipes were great for cleaning up her face after sloppy feeding sessions.  

I also use them when my cats are shedding, just to wipe down some of the fur always flying around.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great! Glad they worked so well for you! Wanted to ask first since they are kinda pricey for wipes ;) but will definitely pick some up tomorrow at petsmart!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle pet wipes. They work pretty well for cleaning up messy faces, paws or bottoms. I also use them after brushing to catch the loose hair that didn't get into the brush. 

I will say that a damp paper towel works just as well for most things, but the wipes really help with reducing the smelliness of an old, sick cat who doesn't groom herself well.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried pet wipes for my old chf cat - he had lots of liquid meds and, like your girl, ended up rather sticky. I have to say, the wipes weren't terribly effective for me. I didn't push the issue, however, as at that point Cali didn't have a whole lot of time left.

I had to clean Asha's chest up after she came back from her last vet visit. I found a warm, damp washcloth was the most effective option. I've used pet wipes before, but they're really overpriced. I now go for unscented baby wipes (I use a brand called Water Wipes and they're hypoallergenic and free of all nasties) or a damp washcloth.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have a pretty sick kitty who, from splashes of meds that have missed their mark, is getting a bit sticky! I noticed today a small mat under her chin (she is medium haired) that I cut out with scissors, but want to clean her and also work out the matted hair closer to the skin that couldn't be cut out (really a very small area, maybe the size of a dime or less, but don't want to leave it and have the mat grow!)

So since she can't be bathed with water right now (being treated for an inner ear infection) I was thinking of trying pet bath wipes. Does anyone have experience using them? Do they seem to work for you? 

Any other ideas if you don't like using the wipes?

Thanks!
I use them often also and like them a lot. They are very convenient. I like the Target's house brand- Boots and Barkley. They are $3 and change I believe. They smell nice and are great for all areas that need a quick wipe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

seaturtleswims

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121  That's a steal for $3 pet wipes- wish there was a target close by!

@Columbine  and @momto3cats  the pet wipes ended up being kinda pricey. I had no idea they ran for $10-$13 a pack. Might just stick to ye old wash cloth like you suggested ;)

Thanks!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

@Kat0121
 That's a steal for $3 pet wipes- wish there was a target close by!

@Columbine
 and @momto3cats the pet wipes ended up being kinda pricey. I had no idea they ran for $10-$13 a pack. Might just stick to ye old wash cloth like you suggested ;)

Thanks!

what about hypoallergenic baby wipes?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pampers-Sensitive-Baby-Wipes-320ct/19225242
Those baby wipes have aloe and chamomile in them, both of which can be toxic to cats. You're better off sticking with plain warm water.