Anyone Have Experience With Dcm?

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike has been diagnosed with DCM. She is also in the early stages of CHF. She has an appointment with a cardiologist in 2 weeks. Until then she has been put on Furosemide (lasex) and Vetmedin. Her appetite has dropped the past two days, to where she is only eating about 3oz. a day. I have called the vet to see if they think increasing her current meds would help, or perhaps adding an appetite stimulate. I am currently waiting for them to call back.

The vet hadn't been able to provide much information on Spike's condition. They are waiting until the cardiologist appointment. Until then, does anyone have any recommendations on food that might be beneficial? Any additional meds that could slow the progression?
20180524_082100.jpg

Thanks in advance from little Spike.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I think I know that the one is chronic heart failure (is that right?) but what's dcm?

Hang in there, Spike buddy!!

Can you finger feed? Or utilize a popsicle stick to handfeed? Maybe pate foods, --fancy feast? Bonito flakes as an enticing topper?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I know that the one is chronic heart failure (is that right?) but what's dcm?
Dilated cardiomyopathy, I think.

weebeasties weebeasties , I am so sorry you are going through this! I wish I could help. :hugs:
((hugs!))

@Boris Diamond has had some experience with HCM, I think -- I don't know if he has any relevant advice that might apply to DCM?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike has been diagnosed with DCM. She is also in the early stages of CHF. She has an appointment with a cardiologist in 2 weeks. Until then she has been put on Furosemide (lasex) and Vetmedin. Her appetite has dropped the past two days, to where she is only eating about 3oz. a day. I have called the vet to see if they think increasing her current meds would help, or perhaps adding an appetite stimulate. I am currently waiting for them to call back.

The vet hadn't been able to provide much information on Spike's condition. They are waiting until the cardiologist appointment. Until then, does anyone have any recommendations on food that might be beneficial? Any additional meds that could slow the progression?
View attachment 290406
Thanks in advance from little Spike.
I have never had a cat with heart issues (that I know of), but if your cat's DCM is somewhat related to or can be helped by increasing taurine, the cardiologist might bring that up with you?

I add a bit of taurine powder daily to Milly's food: she eats mainly canned, although at times I focus on freeze-dried and commercial frozen raw. I guess I feel I can never be quite sure of the 'robustness' or dietary value or quality of the taurine that is put in her cans by the manufacturer even though they all put taurine in the canned food, RE: if the cans ever got warmer or hotter in storage in distribution centers or during shipment, plus sometimes I slightly warm her leftover canned food. (Heat destroys taurine, basically.) Check with your vet, but from what my vet told me, a bit of taurine powder added to Milly's food cannot hurt, and seems to help. For a cat with DCM, more specific "dosages" of the taurine as a supplement could help Spike's heart. It's something to put in your notes to ask the vet & cardiologist!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat with heart issues (that I know of), but if your cat's DCM is somewhat related to or can be helped by increasing taurine, the cardiologist might bring that up with you?

I add a bit of taurine powder daily to Milly's food: she eats mainly canned, although at times I focus on freeze-dried and commercial frozen raw. I guess I feel I can never be quite sure of the 'robustness' or dietary value or quality of the taurine that is put in her cans by the manufacturer even though they all put taurine in the canned food, RE: if the cans ever got warmer or hotter in storage in distribution centers or during shipment, plus sometimes I slightly warm her leftover canned food. (Heat destroys taurine, basically.) Check with your vet, but from what my vet told me, a bit of taurine powder added to Milly's food cannot hurt, and seems to help. For a cat with DCM, more specific "dosages" of the taurine as a supplement could help Spike's heart. It's something to put in your notes to ask the vet & cardiologist!
Thanks. Still waiting for vet to call back and will ask about taurine supplements. She eats mostly canned. I had previously asked the vet if it was possible that her body wasn't processing taurine properly, but she didn't think that was the case.

This has apparently been going on for quite some time because the walls of her heart are stretched and very thin. It is not pumping the blood efficiently and beating very fast.

The vet is basically having me keep her comfortable until it is her time. I suppose I am grasping at straws here, but she doesn't appear to be in distress except for her lack of appetite and rapid heartbeat. She is still talkative and jumping up on the cat trees, etc. Perhaps it has been going on for so long that she has learned to adapt and this is her new "normal"? I just want to keep her happy as long as I can.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties !

There's a specialized online community of folks with heart-kitties. They've been active for almost 20 years - and, that's surely where you'll get the most informed help, information and advice. With almost 3.000 members over 20 years, they have lots of experience to offer to you.

They still use their original operating platform, the email list service. I suggest you get a new Yahoo email account to use exclusively for the group - that will help you best manage the back-and-forth info flow.

Their FAQ page is here: Feline Heart FAQ

You'll find the group itself here: Support Group for Feline Hearts - Yahoo Groups Just click on the purple +Join Group button.

About her appetite......first, it seems that most of the commonly-used appetite stimulants do have some heart-related side effects (Appetite Stimulants), though a low-dose steroid might not. On the FAQ page above, in the Table of Contents, look for "Managing a Cat with Heart Disease" and then check these two sections: "Why won't my cat eat?" and "My cat is losing weight. What is going on?" You'll also be able to ask members of that group about whether/not to consider an appetite stimulant. Meanwhile, there are some non-pharmaceutical strategies here: Additional Nourishment. [The "Tanya" site is a goldmine of solid information, most of which is applicable to all cats.]

There's lots there to start out with (maybe even an overload LOL!).

We're staying tuned. I hope you're doing OK:redheartpump:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi weebeasties !

There's a specialized online community of folks with heart-kitties. They've been active for almost 20 years - and, that's surely where you'll get the most informed help, information and advice. With almost 3.000 members over 20 years, they have lots of experience to offer to you.

They still use their original operating platform, the email list service. I suggest you get a new Yahoo email account to use exclusively for the group - that will help you best manage the back-and-forth info flow.

Their FAQ page is here: Feline Heart FAQ

You'll find the group itself here: Support Group for Feline Hearts - Yahoo Groups Just click on the purple +Join Group button.

About her appetite......first, it seems that most of the commonly-used appetite stimulants do have some heart-related side effects (Appetite Stimulants), though a low-dose steroid might not. On the FAQ page above, in the Table of Contents, look for "Managing a Cat with Heart Disease" and then check these two sections: "Why won't my cat eat?" and "My cat is losing weight. What is going on?" You'll also be able to ask members of that group about whether/not to consider an appetite stimulant. Meanwhile, there are some non-pharmaceutical strategies here: Additional Nourishment. [The "Tanya" site is a goldmine of solid information, most of which is applicable to all cats.]

There's lots there to start out with (maybe even an overload LOL!).

We're staying tuned. I hope you're doing OK:redheartpump:
Thank you so much! I had been googling DCM and not getting a lot of information. Most of it was dog-specific and that the long term prognosis is very poor. I will definitely check out the links. Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I lost my two cats to dilated cardiomyopathy last winter. I'm sorry Spike has been diagnosed with this. One of my boys lost his appetite whenever there was fluid build up in his chest--monitor her respiratory rate when sleeping--it should be around or below 30 breaths/min. Anything higher may indicate fluid build up and the need to increase the furosemide dose. It will very likely need to continue increasing as the disease progresses, and it may take time to get the dose right since she is just starting out, so monitor closely and stay in touch with your vet. If you are not aware, grain-free and exotic diets have been implicated in DCM cases recently (mostly reported in dogs, but some cats have been reported and based on the publications I have read I do believe it could be a problem for cats as well). The legumes in these diets are thought to decrease taurine absorption or increase excretion and low taurine can lead to DCM. Other diets can lead to this as well (homemade and vegetarian). It may be worth a taurine blood test. And it doesn't hurt to add a taurine supplement, so be sure to ask your vet about it. I believe the grain free diet my cats were on contributed to their DCM. Other meds to ask about might be Plavix (to reduce risk of blood clots) and Benazepril or Enalapril (ACE inhibitors).

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weasel21 Weasel21 I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the information. I am calling the vet today about taurine and possibly inceasing the Furosemide. She was given a shot last Monday that was to help eliminate fluid buildup. Her appetite increased greatly for two days, but has been declining ever since. I will ask about the other meds as well - especially Plavix. I am terrified of her having a blood clot while I am at work.
She mostly eats wet food. Some of it is grain free, some not. I like to switch it up. Occasionally she would eat dry, and it was grain free. It is definitely something to think about.

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Generally a furosemide shot would have a short-term effect, similar to the pill, but with a quicker & higher peak effect. It's given for quick relief of fluid, whereas the pill can take about two hours to take effect. If you're comfortable giving SQ shots and after you've learned what normal looks like for her vs. fluid build up, injectable furosemide is not a bad thing to have on hand for emergencies. At some point they build up a resistance to furosemide (it takes a while though, so it's just something to keep in mind for down the road), and the injectable version can be more effective at that point.

If you do end up with the plavix, it is extremely bitter. Don't try to hide it in food, as you'll ruin the food for her; I'd recommend putting it inside of a gel cap and then placing it in the back of her mouth where she won't bite down. I actually did this will all of my cats' meds, to get it into a smaller package with fewer pills. It was a life saver. Also, if the vet didn't tell you (mine didn't), it's best to give the vetmedin on an empty stomach and then wait at least an hour before feeding anything--it doesn't absorb well if there's food given with it.

As far as the food goes, it's probably less likely to be diet related it she's on wet food, unless the company you feed has poor quality control practices and they aren't testing the final product for taurine content (I've honestly lost my faith in most pet food companies, so I wouldn't rule it out). I haven't seen too many wet foods with legume or potato ingredients, though a really high amount of rice bran could have similar effects. There are also some wet foods out there with fine print stating that they are meant to be supplemented with a complete/balanced diet (Applaws is an example I can think of). So be sure to check the label to see if taurine is on the ingredient list or if it mentions being fed as part of a complete diet. Are you heating the wet food in the microwave? That's something that can destroy the taurine in it.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally a furosemide shot would have a short-term effect, similar to the pill, but with a quicker & higher peak effect. It's given for quick relief of fluid, whereas the pill can take about two hours to take effect. If you're comfortable giving SQ shots and after you've learned what normal looks like for her vs. fluid build up, injectable furosemide is not a bad thing to have on hand for emergencies. At some point they build up a resistance to furosemide (it takes a while though, so it's just something to keep in mind for down the road), and the injectable version can be more effective at that point.

If you do end up with the plavix, it is extremely bitter. Don't try to hide it in food, as you'll ruin the food for her; I'd recommend putting it inside of a gel cap and then placing it in the back of her mouth where she won't bite down. I actually did this will all of my cats' meds, to get it into a smaller package with fewer pills. It was a life saver. Also, if the vet didn't tell you (mine didn't), it's best to give the vetmedin on an empty stomach and then wait at least an hour before feeding anything--it doesn't absorb well if there's food given with it.

As far as the food goes, it's probably less likely to be diet related it she's on wet food, unless the company you feed has poor quality control practices and they aren't testing the final product for taurine content (I've honestly lost my faith in most pet food companies, so I wouldn't rule it out). I haven't seen too many wet foods with legume or potato ingredients, though a really high amount of rice bran could have similar effects. There are also some wet foods out there with fine print stating that they are meant to be supplemented with a complete/balanced diet (Applaws is an example I can think of). So be sure to check the label to see if taurine is on the ingredient list or if it mentions being fed as part of a complete diet. Are you heating the wet food in the microwave? That's something that can destroy the taurine in it.
Thank you so much for that information.
As for the Vetmedin, no, the vet did not inform to give on an empty stomach. In fact, she advised me to crumble it up and mix it WITH Spike's food. I have not been doing that because there was no guarantee that Spike would eat it all. I have been breaking the pill in half and smearing it with a little butter to make it go down easier. Do you think that small amout of butter would interfere with the absorption?

Weasel21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for that information.
As for the Vetmedin, no, the vet did not inform to give on an empty stomach. In fact, she advised me to crumble it up and mix it WITH Spike's food. I have not been doing that because there was no guarantee that Spike would eat it all. I have been breaking the pill in half and smearing it with a little butter to make it go down easier. Do you think that small amout of butter would interfere with the absorption?
I don’t think the small amount of butter would be of concern. I sometimes used fish oil on the gel caps for the same reason, then chased with some water. I’ll bet the cardiologist will know more about the specifics of vetmedin. I think getting it down period is more important than giving it without food and many cats are hard to pill, so that may be why some vets say to mix it with food, but giving it on an empty stomach is definitely best and I would ask the cardiologist if you have questions.