Anyone have experience with class IV laser therapy?

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For five months now, Daryl has been receiving class IV laser therapy for a shoulder injury that he sustained before I adopted him.  An animal had attacked him and ripped up his shoulder pretty badly.  X-ray revealed "arthritic changes" to the shoulder and elbow, and he does have limited mobility.  He's only 4 or 5 years old.  We started out at twice a week, and now down to once a week. I felt it helped him somewhat in the beginning, but now he seems to have plateaued.  He doesn't limp like he used to, but he still holds his left paw up when he's sitting sometimes. 

My vet's suggestion is to go back to twice a week.  The laser packages are $145 for a set of 6, so it's been a big drain on me financially.  I was really hoping at this point to only be taking him in every 2-4 weeks, not going back to twice a week.  I don't want to deny him the treatment if I knew for sure it would make a difference.  Just wish I knew.  I'm in such a conundrum over this.  

Does anyone have experience with this type of therapy?  How long was your cat (or dog) on it?  Did you feel it helped?  

I recently put him on Cosequin also. Hoping that will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks MrsGreenJeans!  I did a search first, but I put in IV, so maybe that's why nothing came up.  There are some alternatives mentioned that I will check out, like the Adequan.  I talked to my vet after posting this, and apparently I misunderstood the first time.  She said that if he's plateaued to reduce treatments to once every two weeks.  So that's the plan.  Will talk to her about the Adequan. 

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully SOMETHING will work to give your guy some relief