Anyone Got Ringworm From Their Cat?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat had ringworm a while back, I never got it from him, but my dog did end up getting a mild case of it that went away on its own, I also didn’t get it then. However, ever since Halloween my head has been itchy, pretty bad and just on one side, I was thinking it’s causes my showers are really hot and with the cold weather, I was thinking it is from that, but now I’m wondering if it could be ringworm. I have a lot of hair and can’t see anything. Wondering if anyone here has gotten ringworm on their head and if so is it noticeable, how did you know? I’m gonna see if they will take the woodslamp to my head at work today. I’m hoping it’s just dry scalp. The ringworm came out in my house around late August early September and cleared up fast in the cat and dog, they were never treated cause they healed up so fast. Also I never got any kind of slots on my skin or anything, I figured if it is ringworm I would have spots elsewhere too. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive heard ringworm can take up to 3 weeks to show symptoms.

Ive gotten a fungal infection on my scalp before (that wasnt from a cat), and i got rid of it with sporanox.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I'm going to make everyone crazy now and suggest rinsing your hair with chamomile tea, which is bacteriacidal and fungicidal, as well.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think its better to see a doctor. My infection took ages to treat cause it got misdiagnosed loads if times. One doctor said it was folliculitis and gave me antibiotics, and another said it was dermatitis. And there was another doctor who tried telling me it was an allergic reaction and gave me a steriod cream.

In the end, i had to take itraconazole to get rid of it.

I didnt have patchy hair loss either. It started as a pimple that would ooze pus and itch. My scalp was dry and scaly too, and i lost loads of hair. But my hair didnt come out in patches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!
I had my conworker look at my scalp and it’s weird but there was nothing there, no redness, dryness, no abrasions, nothing. I’m starting to think it has to be my really hot showers and the cold weather. I’ll try talking cooler showers and see if that helps, if not off to the doctor! Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, the chamomile tea is soothing as well, so just keep it filed in the back of your mind.