Anyone experienced with kitty weight loss - What happens with loose skin?

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My most recent rescue (failed foster, oops) Shunso used to be morbidly obese due to him being in a shelter cage eating Friskies for over a year, as they couldn't place him in a home due to endless skin issues and fleas. He has lost A LOT of weight now, and is almost at a good weight, but has a lot of loose belly skin.

Has anyone gone through weight loss with their cats and if so, does the loose skin ever firm up?

He is still young (somewhere between 2 and 4) so I am hoping it will... It does seem to bother him when he grooms or lays down, as a result he always lays on his back. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmmmm,you know, I never wondered, but we DO have at least one cat here that lost probably 13 lbs.  @mschauer, what happened to Mickey's lose skin?  Did it tighten up eventually? 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe he needs a little nip and tuck! 
  Seriously, I have one girl who used to be overweight and is now slim and sleek, and she's got a saggy belly. 

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience with my two 7 year olds that lost several pounds, the excess skin stays. But, I'm sure that the younger the cat, the more likely it could bounce back. But probably not.