Anyone Ever Shave Their Cat?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wondering if anyone shaves their cat? I’m thinking about shaving my 9 month old, his hair is out of control, it’s everywhere. I vacuum everything and then two minutes later everything is covered in hair. He is so handsome I’m hesitant but the idea of LESS hair shedding makes me think about it.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not do that. A totally nude cat would probably have difficulty in maintaining his proper body temperer. And dangerous to you to do.

Have you tried daily combing your cat to remove the shedding fur? Many of the site members recommend a tool called the "furminator". They are expensive if you buy them from a pet shop.Chewy has the best price I have seen.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've shaved a longhair because of mats. If he's longhaired, take him to the groomer and ask what they recommend. I don't recommend shaving a shorthair at all. Get an undercoat rake and a rubber brush and go crazy! Most shorthaired cats like to be brushed, and it really makes a difference in shedding.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I shave rears of kitties, and 1 got half shaved, and my mom had her entire cat shaved before because of flaking and he had no problems. I would do the lion cut then it should be less of a stress on the kitty. U also don't have to have the baby taken bald, u can tell them to leave it longer and they will.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't agree with shaving if there is not a reason (matting, sick, injured, etc), shedding is not a valid reason, get a hairless if you don't want to deal with shedding. Based on the age, could be the cat is just shedding the last bit of kitten fur and getting it's adult coat, so more shedding then normal. During shedding periods you need to brush the cat pretty much every day if you don't want fur everywhere. There are also deshedding shampoos you can use to help with shedding. Basically it helps loosen the fur to come out during the bath.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've given my longhaired cats a sanitary shave and some longhaired cats get the lion cut but there is always hair left on them. I've never heard of a shorthaired cat being shaved unless it was for a medical procedure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to make it clear, my cat is not short hair, he is long hair, currently he has only ever gotten a sani shave on his rear since he would get poop stuck there. I know shedding is normal, I have 4 dogs and two cats, it’s just him and one of my dogs are the worse shedders ever! I shave the dog. The only reason I even shaved the dog was because my vet shaved his lab and said it really helped, they still shed the short hair but it’s not as crazy as if left long. We also have clients that shave their long hair cats too, some cats just shed way more then other no matter how much you brush, same with some dogs.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only shaved my persianbmix, Raistlin, a couple of times, as we had two especially hot summers, I don't have air conditioner in my bedroom and he is afraid of fans. He got the "lion" cut. He didn't look as beautiful as he normaly does, but he did seem to feel grateful for the haircut and seemed to feel "fresher", if that makes sense, as he went from panting to normal breathing again.

However, if temperature there is not hot enough to justify the hair cut, I would try first giving him a good bath with cat's shampoo (and conditioner if you can find it) and brushing him thoroughly while drying his hair. This can help getting rid of dead hair more quickly and it is a chance for you to make of a bath a non-traumatic experience. Just my two cents ;)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a year, beginning of summer/warm weather, Lion cut (leave a ball of fur at the tip of the tail and don't shave above the neck). "Supposedly" this keeps their confidence? I think mostly it just looks cute.
At the start of warm weather so there is plenty of time for it start growing back before it starts getting cold.
And, brush.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
S sydney there's no medical reason u can't shave your cat. My mom's cat was short haired when he was shaved simply for dandruff. Take in to consideration this: if u asked if I should shave your shitzu nobody would bat an eye. Cats aren't normally shaved, or even groomed because they r self grooming mostly, but it doesn't mean u can't. There are a few I have seen on here shaved typically for matting but if u think your cat would do ok getting it done and u know someone u can trust to do it, then knock yourself out. If u have considered the stress factor (even with dogs), cost, and trust (there are groomers hurting animals) and u are ok with it then there's no medical reason u can't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah the weather here is always warm (So Cal).
Also I work at an animal hospital and the guys there shave cats all the time so I trust them. I actually just spoke with one of the best we have and he agreed to do it today, so I know he will be in good hands, and I’ll be there too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my very long haired crabby Siamese shaved every six months because she didn’t allow grooming and matted terribly otherwise. Because of her disposition this required a vet visit, lab work and sedation before they could shave her. If you have yours shaved at a groomer I would suggest you be present to make sure your cat isn’t getting too stressed by the process. While my cat hated the vet visit she seemed to enjoy her short coat and groomed herself much more than when she was long.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah the weather here is always warm (So Cal).
Maintaining body temperature is actually just as important in a hot climate. Your cat's fur acts as insulation against exterior heat in hotter weather as well, so your cat may have trouble keeping his body temp low enough in the summer months if you decide to shave him. I strongly recommend against full-body shaving of cats for any reason other than medical or the cat's quality of life.