Anyone ever seen an entire cat colony follow a person?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of my most vivid childhood memories, and I was wondering if any of you have ever seen or heard of anything like this...

When I was growing up, my family lived in a rural-ish suburban area. One of our neighboring properties was a farm owned by an elderly couple, and the husband died when I was young. The wife continued to live there for several years after.

It was no longer an operational farm, so they had a barn with a large feral cat colony living inside. Our widowed neighbor was their caretaker.

She took daily walks down our street, which was a dead-end street with very little traffic, about a half-mile long. The entire cat colony would follow her down the street and back, keeping distance, but always right behind her. It literally looked like she was leading an army of cats whenever she took a walk.

Some of the cats would stay off to the sides of the road, where there were trees and more cover. Others would proudly march down the center of the street behind her. So basically, the whole street would be occupied by this cat army.

I was thinking about this recently, and thought I'd post it here, because I was wondering how (ab)normal this is. If anyone has heard of such a thing, it would be a TCS member.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. This was around 30 years ago.

Edit: I guess I don't know for sure if it was truly the "entire" colony following her; but it was definitely a ton of cats.

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen a troop of cats like that -sounds great- but I have seen a farmer milking cows, and about 4-5 cats waiting for their turn to catch an occasional squirt of milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen a troop of cats like that -sounds great- but I have seen a farmer milking cows, and about 4-5 cats waiting for their turn to catch an occasional squirt of milk.
Interesting... that sounds funny, too.

If I saw that without knowing any better, I'd think they were eyeing up the cow. I discovered just this week that Willy has a real taste for beef (he had it for the first time this week and has been devouring it).

It's described in another thread I started...
Dealing with dry-food addiction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reminds me a bit off the children's fable, The Pied Piper.
It kind of looked like that, but a cat version.

It was also funny when a car would come by. The street had a speed limit of only 15 mph, and everyone drove pretty respectfully because there were a lot of kids in that neighborhood. So a car would approach slowly, and the cats would scramble to the sides of the road to hide... then after the car passed, they'd slowly regroup in the street.

There were a lot of trees on the sides of the road, so it was like cats disappearing into the foliage, then reappearing en masse.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I am so glad you posted this. It made me really happy, inspired me to write, and wished I could draw!