Anyone Ever Heard of 'Untamed' Wild Pet Food?

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
http://untamedpetfoods.com/raw-frozen-food/

They are based right here in the front range of Colorado.  They are a small 'artisian' dog food maker.  They use exotic meats like Bison, Yak, Elk, etc.  Bison and Elk are readily available here, BTW. 

It turns out they can custom make cat food per the owner's specs using meats and organs.  would need to add the supplements

I can work directly with Untamed or coordinate through a local pet supply.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd check to see how long this company has been in business.  And maybe ask for recommendations from other satisfied users (keeping in mind they won't refer you to unhappy people).

I'm also a little suspicious of nutritional labeling and USDA certification in general (for cats and humans alike), so I would ask for proof of that, i.e., the original report from who ever is doing the analysis.  You don't want to find out in six months that, oopps, the 5% was in fact 7%.

I *do* like that they have access to unusual meats.  But has your cat ever tasted these meats--she/he may not like them.  (Ritz likes red meat, including goat and venison, which apparently is unusual for cats.) 
I would first see if you can get samples of the meat--nothing else, just the meat, and see if you cat likes it.  (As you may know, cats have no need of vegetables or fruit in their diet.) Then go from there, using the percentages of bone/meat/liver-nonsecreting organ that you presently use and ask for a nutritional analysis.  Let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great advice Ritz!  That gives me a place to start at least.  Especially like the suggestions of trying the different meats first and the nutritional analysis.  They are making cat food for a few of the retailer's customers now, but he said I could also contact Untamed myself and they will make just about anything I request. 

That is what I really like is the different meats they have access to. 

Would the equipment they are using to grind be something I need to be concerned with.  The guy is a former butcher, according to his website.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No I don't think you need to be concerned with the equipment, though would need to be concerned with sanitation (bacterial) procedures.  He was after all a butcher at one time.  If you (or the other posters reading this thread :) ) are concerned about mixing proteins, then I would let the butcher know that.  Some members' cats have severe allergies to certain proteins, such that they have to go with strictly single source protein (chicken liver, chicken kidney, chicken meat, chicken bone--you get the drift).  To be obsessive about it (and, aren't all pet owners?), I would ask if they clean the machines between grinding of different types of protein.

I would ask them if they can/will vary the coarseness of ground based on your cat's preference.

I feed Ritz frankenprey, staying away from ground because I want Ritz to chew as much as possible for teeth cleaning purposes.  Were I to go with ground, I would choose the coarsest grind possible (Hare Today has fine and coarse ground, I would like an option of very very coarse).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took a look from the link in your other thread, and my only question is - is it appropriate for cats? :dk: There's a lot of veggies in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took a look from the link in your other thread, and my only question is - is it appropriate for cats?
There's a lot of veggies in there.
No, I wouldn't get the pre-made dog food.  They will custom make it with just meat and organs.  They are looking into developing a cat line.  You should consider being their consultant, seriously!