Anyone ever fed salmon from Hare-Today?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I'm going to try something new.  Since my extremely picky threesome will eat Primal Beef and Salmon, I was thinking maybe I could make my own mixture by buying the finely ground beef/organs/tripe and bone from Hare-Today and mixing in some of their ground salmon with bones.  (and Alnutrion, naturally).  I am somewhat dismayed that their salmon is farm raised, but per that product website, they go into how they are eco-friendly, blah, blah, blah (you can SAY anything I'm thinking).  Anyway, I digress.  Really just wondering if anyone has tried their salmon?

(I sure hope I'm not throwing away good money after bad again
.   Last time my pickies wouldn't eat ANY of the Hare-Today stuff except the duck hearts, and that's mainly why I'm ordering... need more of those.  But don't want to order  too many or they'll get freezer burnt before I can use them all...oh dilemma's dilemma's
)  At least I have a friend feeding raw now who I gave a bunch of my last order to, so I'm hoping she'll want to order more and we can split the shipping cost

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<sniped>  But don't want to order  too many or they'll get freezer burnt before I can use them all...oh dilemma's dilemma's
<snipped>
I just want to start off, by saying, that, this is why I breed my own prey. I can't imagine, how much money, you all throw out and how much time this takes. I just wouldn't have the patience. I MUST COMMEND YOU
. Plus, all the timed meals and such. That is why, I always have out EVO, the Turkey and Chicken dry fromula. That way, if, I am late with the night meal (prey item), they, will be just fine. Just hungry and cranky, but, just fine. Though, sometimes, you would think they where starving, from, all the carying on

Anyway, pardon, my digression above and it's length. Yes, I have fed the Salmon from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow. The F3 Savannah loved it, the two DSH's loved it. My terminally ill, DLH, did not like it. But, that proves NOTHING. That particular night, all she wanted was a mouse and some Instinct Rabbit can.

A much cheaper way, to incorporate fish, in my experience, is, just buy the fish from Costco or Sams club. Once, you are sure the cats like it. But, even if, the cats do not like it, you, could always it

Hope that helps

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sally ! :) I have not tried the HT salmon, but will let you give it a go first. :lol3: Let me know how it goes. Lucky you, that you have a friend who feeds raw too. That way you can just order a small amount on her order to try! :bigthumb:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just want to start off, by saying, that, this is why I breed my own prey.
You know, I have never said anything to you about how you feed live prey to your cats. I try not to read when you post about it because it upsets me so. Really breaks my heart for those little creatures and the torture they endure. I guess it is my fault for reading your posts. I do feed a raw diet to my cats and dogs and also once owned a Tegu lizard that ate frozen mice and pinkies. I have had rats and mice as pets throughout my life, bunnies too. I could never, ever feed live prey to my cats and my lizard never received live mice. In fact, :lol3:, once I saved a baby bunny from our barn cat, chased the cat through a field until it let go of the screaming baby bunny. It's just my personal opinion but I see those little creatures as pets and just could not feed them live. :sniffle:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A much cheaper way, to incorporate fish, in my experience, is, just buy the fish from Costco or Sams club. Once, you are sure the cats like it. But, even if, the cats do not like it, you, could always it
I actually thought about just buying some at the store when it's on sale and putting it in my blender or something to try to grind it up, but not quite sure how well it would "grind" in a blender
Or food processor?  Any thoughts on that? (I don't have a grinder, if you are wondering
)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Lucky you, that you have a friend who feeds raw too. That way you can just order a small amount on her order to try!
Yes, I just don't know if she needs to order right now or not.  I'm still waiting on her response. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually thought about just buying some at the store when it's on sale and putting it in my blender or something to try to grind it up, but not quite sure how well it would "grind" in a blender

I would think, it would come out just fine. Since, Salmon, like most fish is a very soft meat.

Or food processor? 

That, might come out good too. Like, I said above, it should be a very easy meat to grind.

Any thoughts on that? (I don't have a grinder, if you are wondering
)

I think, BOTH, would be fine. If you want, try a little bit in each device and see which one, you, like the consistence of better. Also, I have a grinder in my garage. If, you are in the United States and would like it, I will ship it to. If shipping is crazy then all I ask is, you might pay shipping.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't order fish from any vendor because Ritz is prone to UTIs.  And because one of the main reasons I transitioned her from Fancy Feast Clasic Seafood to frakenprey is because Ritz would ONLY eat fish-flavored canned food.  I'm afraid Ritz would become fish-centric again.  I have ordered Llama and Duck from Hare Today.  And I sometimes put Krill oil on her raw food for the Omega 3.  If she's hungry, she'll eat it.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I won't order fish from any vendor because Ritz is prone to UTIs.  And because one of the main reasons I transitioned her from Fancy Feast Clasic Seafood to frakenprey is because Ritz would ONLY eat fish-flavored canned food.  I'm afraid Ritz would become fish-centric again.  I have ordered Llama and Duck from Hare Today.  And I sometimes put Krill oil on her raw food for the Omega 3.  If she's hungry, she'll eat it.
Well, since they are ALREADY eating Primal Beef with Salmon, they're getting salmon, so it's not like I'll be adding MORE to their diet, just substituting.  But I know what you mean.  I don't want to feed them too much fish.  That's why I don't buy the Stella and Chewy's fish flavors of the dehydrated raw. 
 I have a grinder in my garage. If, you are in the United States and would like it, I will ship it to. If shipping is crazy then all I ask is, you might pay shipping.
WOW
That's VERY generous of you!  I'm betting shipping would be crazy...those things are pretty heavy, aren't they? But hey, still cheaper then buying a brand new one, I'd guess.   I do live in the U.S. (just have my location secret right now due to Secret Santa) and I'll keep this in mind.  Thank you so much for the offer
.  My goal is, though, to convert these furry little beasties to Frankenprey one of these days.  I'm finally getting Callie there.  She's eating bigger and bigger pieces of duck hearts (hey, it's a start
) and I went ahead and ordered some gizzards and boneless turkey thigh chunks and chicken hearts along with more duck hearts from Hare Today.  Obviously I can get chicken breasts and thighs locally (using boneless right now...maybe forever since on the chicken, pieces bigger than a pea seem to not get eaten
(so I get our my trusty scissors and cut them down and then she'll eat them
)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think fish in a blender or food processor would be fine, actually. The meat is typically oily, and the bones soft. :nod:

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW
That's VERY generous of you! 

It is no problem. I have sent stuff to Cyndersmom in Canada. It cost like $50 shipping for $5 items, she, couldn't get. I have sent stuff to LDG. I am pretty sure, more then one time. I REALLY am, not that bad. I promise

I'm betting shipping would be crazy...those things are pretty heavy, aren't they?

Yes, they are pretty heavy. Or, at least, mine seems very heavy. Anyway, as long as, shipping, is under $200 I will cover it. Yes, I can afford to do that

But hey, still cheaper then buying a brand new one, I'd guess.

I won't tell you, what, mine cost. You would DIE!

I do live in the U.S. (just have my location secret right now due to Secret Santa)

Cool cool. Mine is secret cause of AR groups. I had, much earlier this year, my pure exotic cat killed outside in his compound. The group even left a "suicide" note, on the cats behalf.

and I'll keep this in mind. 

Please do, it is just collecting dust! I am a supper neat freak. If, it wasn't so expensive, I would have thrown it away.

Thank you so much for the offer

Very welcome

My goal is, though, to convert these furry little beasties to Frankenprey one of these days. 

I LOVE the term little furry beasties, I am
out loud. Can we share the term
?

I'm finally getting Callie there.  She's eating bigger and bigger pieces of duck hearts (hey, it's a start
)

Indeed it is and we all need to start someplace

and I went ahead and ordered some gizzards and boneless turkey thigh chunks and chicken hearts along with more duck hearts from Hare Today.

Good good. My cats, LOVE TURKEY! However, they tend to eat it so fast, they barf

Obviously I can get chicken breasts and thighs locally (using boneless right now...maybe forever since on the chicken, pieces bigger than a pea seem to not get eaten
(so I get our my trusty scissors and cut them down and then she'll eat them
)

As I have said, many many times, I would not have the patience for all this. I am just glad, my cats, eat the prey items twice a day. Plus, have the Evo Turkey and Chicken dry formula to munch on.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I REALLY am, not that bad. I promise

Did I ever say I thought you were BAD?  I just said I thought it was gross feeding live prey, but "more power to you"

Anyway, as long as, shipping, is under $200 I will cover it. Yes, I can afford to do that

Wow, wow, wow...are you that Powerball winner that still hasn't shown up from last week

I had, much earlier this year, my pure exotic cat killed outside in his compound. The group even left a "suicide" note, on the cats behalf.

That's horrible!

?

Of course!  Glad you like it.
So...I'm still thinking about the grinder.  Might be useful to make Dr. Pierson's recipe even if I never get the other two on Frankenprey.  Today Callie left one little strip of duck heart in her bowl, so I cut it up into little pieces and rolled those pieces in Wholelife chicken powder and tried to entice the boys to try it.  Even my piglet Darko wouldn't have anything to do with them.  But he watched Callie polish them off.  I keep hoping if they watch her enough they'll get the idea
.  I'll let you know after I do more research on how to figure out bone ration on ground stuff. 

Thanks again for the offer.  Oh, my Hare-Today order arrives tomorrow.  Can't wait to try out the new items on Callie. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I REALLY am, not that bad. I promise

Did I ever say I thought you were BAD?  I just said I thought it was gross feeding live prey, but "more power to you"

OMG, I am so so so sorry. I was just teasing. I am so so so sorry!

Anyway, as long as, shipping, is under $200 I will cover it. Yes, I can afford to do that

Wow, wow, wow...are you that Powerball winner that still hasn't shown up from last week

, no  not exactly.

I had, much earlier this year, my pure exotic cat killed outside in his compound. The group even left a "suicide" note, on the cats behalf.

That's horrible!

I tend to agree

?

Of course!  Glad you like it.

I do I do

So...I'm still thinking about the grinder. 

No rush, it will be in the garage, for, a very long time, so, no worries. Just let me know, what, you decide.

Might be useful to make Dr. Pierson's recipe even if I never get the other two on Frankenprey. 

Yes, it might be

Today Callie left one little strip of duck heart in her bowl, so I cut it up into little pieces and rolled those pieces in Wholelife chicken powder and tried to entice the boys to try it.

Cool cool, how did that go
?

Even my piglet Darko wouldn't have anything to do with them. 

O dear
. Just keep trying.

But he watched Callie polish them off.  I keep hoping if they watch her enough they'll get the idea

I have NO IDEA, how, transitioning to raw works. But, I can tell you, the F3 Savannah and completely indoor DLH, learned how to kill from the indoor/outdoor DSH's.

I'll let you know after I do more research on how to figure out bone ration on ground stuff. 

Okay, please do
!

Thanks again for the offer. 

No problem. I just want to see it used.

Oh, my Hare-Today order arrives tomorrow.  Can't wait to try out the new items on Callie. 

Please, let us know, how they like it

Last edited: