Anyone else's cats do the "teacup tail"?

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Boots always does this thing with his tail when you scratch him there- I call it teacup tail because it kind of looks like the handle on a teacup! Sorry for the low quality night time pic! He usually hooks the tip of his tail back up do it looks even more like a fancy cup handle.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL...I think they all do it!  Hekitty does something very similar, and licks whatever is nearest her head like a mad thing.  A neighbor's cat squats and goes "Mrowowowowowowowowowow" as long as you keep scratching!  It's like the dogs shaking that leg, they just overamp on the goodness of it all!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's pretty normal.
My 1 year olds bum goes in the air when I scratch the base of her tail. Which I read means my cat thinks I'm her mum. Which would be OK if I wasn't a dude.
Also she walks her territory (around the apartment) with her tail down because of ferals in the backyard. every time I talk to her tail shoots straight up. Pretty funny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Too funny! But I have always seen them just stick it straight up- I have never seen a cat do that weird loop shape before. He also does this very funny look around thing- he squints and appears as if he's trying to look nonchalant, lol. Like "oh, are you scratching me? I didn't necessarily want it. But hey, it feels nice so you might as well continue."

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you google "cat body language" there are charts that give to info on what that's supposed to mean. I remember tail with a hook at the end supposed to mean "I'm not sure about you".
Maybe your cats really not sure about you. Or we're all over thinking everything.