Anyone elses cat react badly to Feliway?

maddogdodge

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has anxiety issues, we've tried all kinds of things to help him, at the moment the thing that seems to be helping him most is Rescue Remedy.

Vets always tell me to use Feliway to help calm him down... I've tried it on 2 occasions, both had awful results...

First attempt I had the diffuser on for about 8 hours or so while he was locked in my room. He became extremely agitated, yeowling, wouldn't settle, and just generally very upset. I let him out of my room and he wouldn't set foot in my room again until I unplugged the diffuser and the room had aired out.

Second attempt was just a few days ago... He was again locked in my room due to a recent FIC flare up. I plugged it in at around mid-day, he was agitated throughout the afternoon but nothing completely unusual to what he does when he's hungry or wants to be let out or whatever. It wasn't until that night that he went insane. The whole night, he was getting up every hour and would scream at the door, became extremely agitated, started obsessing over climbing onto my desk, even became angry and aggressive (he attacked me twice, hand and face). Nothing I did would settle him down, he just screamed and climbed all over everything in my room all night - I should note that normally he sleeps right through the whole night.

I let him out of my room in the morning and it was like a switch flicked, he calmed down almost back to his usual self.

I unplugged the feliway and cleaned all my bedding, next night with him locked in my room was totally peaceful. He slept right through the whole night with no issues.

Has anyone else had a cat that reacts negatively to Feliway?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
You might find some of the posts in this thread interesting:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/209596/reactions-to-feliway  They describe several negative reactions to Feliway, including the kind of agitation that your cat displayed.  The second post even mentions that Feliway was banned from their cat show halls because of negative reactions to it.

I've not used Feliway myself so can't answer from experience but it does seem that you are not alone in having a kitty who reacts badly to Feliway.