Anyone else's cat obsessed with olive oil?

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So weird lol. I've noticed if I do anything involving olive oil, my cat goes nuts and wants in on the action. Last time, I used some on my hair as an oil treatment and kitty was suddenly very interested in nuzzling my hair. Then today, I made sweet potato fries (coated in olive oil) and I guess the smell was still on my hands from tossing them. Kitty started licking my hand crazily, and wouldn't let me take my hand away! LOL Soo strange! She never ever licks, even if you have treats or something she licks. I put two and two together and realized it must be the oil? Is this normal? Or is my cat just weird? Also, is olive oil okay for cats? I'm not giving her any, but she was licking my hand which had the residue on it so I guess I just want to double check..

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of cats who like olives and will give a catnip like reaction to them.  I don't know what it is about it though!  I don't eat them often so I don't think either of my 2 have been exposed to them to see if they like them.

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would reckon giving them oil would give them the runs big time! Only try this if you have an evacuation plan in case things get stinky :sick::D

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So weird lol. I've noticed if I do anything involving olive oil, my cat goes nuts and wants in on the action. Last time, I used some on my hair as an oil treatment and kitty was suddenly very interested in nuzzling my hair. Then today, I made sweet potato fries (coated in olive oil) and I guess the smell was still on my hands from tossing them. Kitty started licking my hand crazily, and wouldn't let me take my hand away! LOL Soo strange! She never ever licks, even if you have treats or something she licks. I put two and two together and realized it must be the oil? Is this normal? Or is my cat just weird? Also, is olive oil okay for cats? I'm not giving her any, but she was licking my hand which had the residue on it so I guess I just want to double check..
Check out this thread on giving olive oil to cats.    www.thecatsite.com/t/266250/is-it-safe-to-give-olive-oil-to-cats

There are several articles linked in the thread. Very good reading, by the way. And I am not just saying that because I did the looking for pertinent articles to link.