Anyone else's cat interested in water?

megan holly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 month old sits on the side of the tub and refuses to move until I'm done showering or taking a bath. She's fallen in three times and it still hasn't stopped her!!! Lol i swear she thinks something bad is gonna happen to me. She also likes to sit on lap when I'm on the toilet. She's such an adorable little weirdo.

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. My Bengal cross, Lex, follows me into the shower, prefers drinking from a running tap and doesn't shy away during washing-up - he seems fascinated by water. Is your cat part Bengal by any chance? It is typical of that breed, so I've read.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two that are such that they beg for me to flush toilet if they happen to be near when I'm near toilet, they put front paws against toilet, and look into it intensively, then they reach their paw at me and try to rub their head to my knee in their attempt to say that "do that flushing thing".

When I flush it for them, other one flees and other is at edge of fleeing, moving further and then still too curious and moving closer, staring into toilet as it flushes, quite funny actually.

Other one of those don't like getting paws wet, other one walks trough water after rain, it is nothing to him.

Then there is one undersized girl that puts whole paw into water bowl, full length of his leg is wet then and as she has long fur it is quite wet indeed, she drinks in such way, gets whole leg wet, then licks water from fur, she rarely drinks normal way.

Sometimes I bring them fishes that I catch in old washing basin that serves purpose of fish container now, there I put water and fishes and that little girl dives straight in, water splashing around as she tries to catch fish, she can even go low as if attempting to stalk, so that only her nose and parts above are dry, rest of her being wet.

If there would be enough water, she might start swimming, I guess.

Those two interested from toilet are her brothers, mixed breed more or less.

Black one of those brothers also likes to get into bathroom sink and loves to play with dripping water, sometimes even manages to drink, but he mostly just plays with it, kind of attempts to catch water that is running away, he seem to consider water to be just another piece of string, he is not understanding it to be same stuff that is in water bowl, so he snaps it with his jaws like a string and not drinking like from water bowl.
He tends to get bit wet in that and it seems not to bother him much.

I have others too that are from different unrelated cats and they don't like from water such way, they drink it and are not much afraid of it but have no much interest to it, it is just something that sometimes is on ground and they get their paws wet, but given the chance they try to avoid getting their paws wet.

Probably in their genes, afaik kitten time was relatively similar between them all.

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every morning while I am taking my shower, Khaleesi will sit in between the shower liner and shower curtain the entire duration of my shower. As soon as I turn the water off and start to dry off, she jumps in and swats at the drops coming from the drain. She sits and gets her butt and tail and paws all wet, but doesn't seem to care in the slightest. It cracks me up. Here is s video!

aunnatalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like to sit on the edge of the tub when mom or dad is taking a bath and stick just the tip of my tail into the water, or bat at the water. watching the water go down the drain is one of the most interesting things in the world to me. I will also do the same thing when mom is doing dishes, tip of my tail into the dish water.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats and water sounds like a bad mix but really isn't. Now don't try and give them a bath but if it's their water bowl expect anything. I have 7 cats, 4 love to play in their oversize water bowls, paws first. I have one who wants to wash her toys in the water bowl but not sure which one it is. I will find one of their mice in it or one of the puffy soft balls at least 3 times a month in the water bowl. I tried the self water bowls with a gallon bottle on top that went over real big, every night they would knock the gal bottle over and I would have water all over. Lucky for me I tested them in the basement and kitchen where they couldn't ruin the flooring. I actually watch them play with in and saw how they knocked the bottle off. Then they would run and play in the water every time the gal rolled and poured water out. What lead me to those bottled water dispensers was the basic cat water bowls, plastic, beige in color, made by Harts. Each night they would interior decorate where I originally placed the bowls, of course by the time they finished all the water was gone. But now, we have piece and harmony with the water bowls. They are all oversized "big Doggie" water bowls. The one in the guest bathroom is ceramic and real pretty, while the other ones are made of heavy thick plastic/rubber that have a none skid base with a weight inside the base. If they start moving these, I'm moving out. Lol

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maya is fascinated by the sink and shower. She's always been like that but I think it's getting to be borderline obsession. The first day I brought her home, she took naps in the sink. I tried to get her out once by turning on the water and she just licked herself where the water went. :yummy:

Now if I go into the bathroom, even if she's sleeping, she will come barreling through the apartment and hop on the back of the toilet and stare intently at the drain. She used to just wait to lick up the water but now she actually sticks her paws in the stream, splashing and licking. She tries sticking her face in it too. She doesn't seem to mind her nose getting wet.

She stares at me through the shower doors, hopping on the sink, her litter box, the window ledge, everything, trying to figure out how to get in there.

Bonus for me- I found a way to clip her nails without too much struggle!

She doesn't play with her drinking water though. she literally knocked over her cup as I was writing that. I have a cup inside a bowl to make it less easy to tip. She knocked it over and then put it back like nothing happened. I suspect she does that more to be naughty than to play with water.

p.s. Wolfie-my Maya looks just like your Khaleesi!

pixiecat98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My calico cat, Pixie, will sometimes put a piece of food in her water, scoop it out again, and then eat it. She also likes clambering into the toilet and drinking the water, as well as jumping into the bathtub right after it's drained and licking the water that drips down from the faucet. 

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maya is fascinated by the sink and shower. She's always been like that but I think it's getting to be borderline obsession. The first day I brought her home, she took naps in the sink. I tried to get her out once by turning on the water and she just licked herself where the water went. :yummy:

Now if I go into the bathroom, even if she's sleeping, she will come barreling through the apartment and hop on the back of the toilet and stare intently at the drain. She used to just wait to lick up the water but now she actually sticks her paws in the stream, splashing and licking. She tries sticking her face in it too. She doesn't seem to mind her nose getting wet.

She stares at me through the shower doors, hopping on the sink, her litter box, the window ledge, everything, trying to figure out how to get in there.

Bonus for me- I found a way to clip her nails without too much struggle!

She doesn't play with her drinking water though. she literally knocked over her cup as I was writing that. I have a cup inside a bowl to make it less easy to tip. She knocked it over and then put it back like nothing happened. I suspect she does that more to be naughty than to play with water.

p.s. Wolfie-my Maya looks just like your Khaleesi!
Wow the picture in your profile picture sure does look like Khaleesi! The funny orange legs and everything

sez2929

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats love to drink from running or moving water so often they stick their paws in the bowls and swish it about then drink, otherwise a running tap, a glass, the sink etc. My cats do not fear water at all. My queen birman demands to get in the shower with me, dips her entire head under a running tap, is very good if I need to wash her (not that I bathe her often, only if shes gone into something super gross. She plays in her water dish too by dipping in her fabric mice and then waking me up with them on my neck, if I still don't get up she puts her wet paw in my ear and gives me a wet willie, shes a real character. I try to make her kittens not fear it or anything else either. They are always great at bath time, except one, theres always one that's a brat about it.

heavenskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love to run after me and go in the shower with me also when I have to use the bathroom they will lay under the toilet and will poke their head in the toilet while its flushing...lol...they just love running water.

lwbutterfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI I'm new here , but talking about cat"s that love water. I have gray female Tabby/ Bobtail mixed she loves to play in water . So as an cat lover we bath here every two weeks. She very smart well manner misskitty. She 14 years and plays like she a kitten. We sure love her and spoil her too.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love to run after me and go in the shower with me also when I have to use the bathroom they will lay under the toilet and will poke their head in the toilet while its flushing...lol...they just love running water.
Does your cat ask you to flush the toilet when you get near the toilet?

I have one that leans against toilet seat, then makes noises and reaches his paw towards me like saying "hey do make things thing do the flushing again!" It is very hard to resists when he looks with his begging eyes, sometimes he uses his nose to push my hand to right direction, if he thinks I'm not fast enough.

He is quite funny cat as he uses paw gestures as we use hand gestures, for example if he wants to go from the door he reaches the handle and taps it like telling "this one, use this one!" very vocal too as he yowls (can't think anything else that describes those sounds he makes) to get my attention first before doing those gestures.

So because of him my water consumption is way higher I would like it to be :D

Winter time is nice, I have water hole made for them from ice and snow, which I fill up then, so they get ice water crystal clear and cold. However they seem not to play with that water as much.

zootandemo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good on her! My boys takes too much interest in water sometimes; I have to keep the toilet seat down so he doesn't go 'diving'!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a tuxedo cat whose main pastime was water. Running water, bath bubbles, anything. He didn't mind if his tail was in the bath while he was sitting on the ledge of the bathtub. Once he even stepped onto my stomach while I was lying in the bathtub. I spent many minutes trying to very gently yell for help before someone heard me and came in and lifted the cat off.

On a more dangerous note, our house is right on a river. In the spring, when the ice was thawing, he loved to go out and look down through the holes in the melting ice. It was terrifying to see him sitting on a thin layer of ice over fast flowing water. For a few weeks each spring, he would have to go out with me on a leash. And the two of us had to go out frequently since he preferred to do his business outside and never used a litter box.

Last edited:

themeowsercrew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats gizmo n shadow n charlotte are weridos

when the water is running gizzy bites at it shadow lays n the sink with a little wet spots n charlotte plays n the water pan

she puts her toys n the water pan so the others don't play with them

kutiekitty123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OnAContinent, NotAntartica, AboveWater, Somewhere&
Oh yeah! One my cats is two yes old. She sleeps in the sink and shower even when its still wet. When I get out of the shower she grabs and sucks and notes my wet hair since its long. When you turn on the sink faucet she comes running in and even though she's got a big bowl of water, she will mew pitifully until she gets a cup of water. She likes licking ice cubes. Plus I think she's immune to certain chocolate because she steals my chocolate milk and laps as much as she can get!

badkittyclassic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg YES! My youngest is obsessed with falling water!
He will lick the faucet if I don't turn it on in time and likes to play with the shower water and slide all around the tub when I get out. Such a weirdo lol
I invested in a waterfall style water bowl for him because of it. (Best idea ever)