Anyone Else Use Costco Brand Chicken Thighs? Super Affordable!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went this weekend and checked out the chicken. I saw some kirkland bone in chicken thighs! They were $.99/pound! No salt, preservatives and artificial ingredients added. I bought a pack which was almost 11 pounds. What a deal! My turkey and especially rabbit flavors are a lot more expensive so I was happy to find something decent and extremely affordable. I can also get chicken hearts and liver at $1.29/pound so chicken is a budget savor! Anyone else use kirkland chicken?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We love Kirkland chicken, although for us humans LOL I haven't moved into raw yet :)
What a terrific find, good on you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We love Kirkland chicken, although for us humans LOL I haven't moved into raw yet :)
What a terrific find, good on you!
Yes we enjoy them as well. Particularly the packaged chicken breast! Haha.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I went this weekend and checked out the chicken. I saw some kirkland bone in chicken thighs! They were $.99/pound! No salt, preservatives and artificial ingredients added. I bought a pack which was almost 11 pounds. What a deal! My turkey and especially rabbit flavors are a lot more expensive so I was happy to find something decent and extremely affordable. I can also get chicken hearts and liver at $1.29/pound so chicken is a budget savor! Anyone else use kirkland chicken?
Do you grind bone? Or do you de-bone them?

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you grind bone? Or do you de-bone them?
I grind almost all the bone because my chicken recipe is 25% heart from the Asian market. But if you do boneless I did see boneless and skinless dark meat packages as well. I’m sure those are still super affordable and a decent chunk of calories still come from fat. You just have to take into account the extra water in those packages.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I grind almost all the bone because my chicken recipe is 25% heart from the Asian market. But if you do boneless I did see boneless and skinless dark meat packages as well. I’m sure those are still super affordable and a decent chunk of calories still come from fat. You just have to take into account the extra water in those packages.
Thanks. Yeah, I’ve bought the Foster Farms boneless thighs from Costco for $3.49/lb. I’m debating if it’s worth it to debone the 99 centers!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Yeah, I’ve bought the Foster Farms boneless thighs from Costco for $3.49/lb. I’m debating if it’s worth it to debone the 99 centers!
Yeah I don’t recommend it. I deboned 12 pounds of turkey thighs before and it was a lot of work. Wiped me out! And chicken thighs are much smaller so it would make things more difficult and dangerous in my opinion. You should check out the Kirkland boneless dark chicken meat next time. I’m sure it can’t be too expensive. People have mentioned foster farms but I still haven’t seen it at my Costco.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh? What are y'all using to debone poultry?
Kitchen shears are pretty easy.
really, really easy.

I used a knife my first batch. Nope'd right out of doing that again.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
really, really easy.

Well turkey thighs are much bigger than chicken. So I debone them using a knife while they're frozen which is much easier than when they're thawed. But it's still a pain whe you're doing 12 pounds. I did use gaming shears for the few chicken thighs but I can't imagine having to do multiple pounds of that, such a pain and annoying.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
really, really easy.

I use kitchen shears, too. It’s not that it’s hard, it’s just time consuming and tedious. And I spend waaay too long trying to get every little piece of meat off the bone. I’m a bit compulsive. :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use kitchen shears, too. It’s not that it’s hard, it’s just time consuming and tedious. And I spend waaay too long trying to get every little piece of meat off the bone. I’m a bit compulsive. :)
I’m the same way. I just don’t want to screw up the meat to bone ratio by being lazy. Also don’t want to waste money of course. So for chicken thighs I’d rather keep the deboning to the minimum.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thaw my turkey thighs out and leave my hot water running on trickle, to keep running it over my hands after 1 or 2. I couldn't do it frozen. I'm too sensitive.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thaw my turkey thighs out and leave my hot water running on trickle, to keep running it over my hands after 1 or 2. I couldn't do it frozen. I'm too sensitive.
I could see how that’s a problem if you’re a bit sensitive. I just put up with the cold. I tried mixing super cold ground turkey that was ground partially frozen, I regretted it. My hands were freezing and they hurt. Now I use rubber gloves to do the mixing if the meats are still partially frozen.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just our area for some reason. We don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods either. They are also about 60 miles away in the same places.
Wow I see! Well I'm jealous because you guys don't really have pet restrictions. I would love to get a pet skunk but they don't allow that in Texas.