Anyone else on the Site have a Highland Lynx? Best suggestions for Exercise?

cyndilaupurrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just moved to a new place a few days ago, my landlord who lives upstairs has one and so have invited him(Houdini ) to come down and visit my Cyndi and so far they seem to becoming fast friends.

I have some raw video of them playing together and will post when I get a chance. He plays rough with her but she keeps coming back for more..lol

branden pelok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 highland lynx's - they're not that old yet but they love that yellow nylon circular toy with the rotating mouse beneath it...

(https://www.bing.com/images/search?...cfff8b8e45f1254de9affc2aae11f3fo0&ajaxhist=0_)

They are also big fans of an old fishing pole - 4' long pliable plastic rod, thick cord for line (something like the line you'd use to put up a tent flap) on which I tie a small stuffed animal.  They'll clobber the stuffed animal, but its easy enough to replace it and they chase around after that thing like mad beasts.

When all else fails, I use the red-dot laser.  Instant cat frenzy :-)

northlandstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

We seem to have people from all over on this site. I'm wondering if anyone else has a Highland Lynx breed cat? I LOVE this cat. It's such a unique breed. She has a lot of characteristics like a dog (fetching, sleeping by my feet, running to the window to get the scoop on any possible intruders, has her own pet stuffed animal, somewhat fearless of strangers) and some other interesting traits like she will NOT back down when playing (she will run after me and tackle my legs if I walk away from engaging her) or when she wants something, and she must dominate my other cat when she feels like it, even if it is just getting the best spot on the bed.

Anyway, my real question is, if anyone else has this breed, is she loves to exercise and has LOTS of stamina. Does anyone have any clever play activities they use? My cat LOVES chasing the red laser dot, to the point of addiction. As soon as she hears the noise of the chain on the laser pointer jingling, she comes running and demands the dot. So funny. She will run full gallop from one end of the apartment to the other until she gets winded. So, that's one solution, but I'm looking for any other good suggestions.

This is a picture of Bigfoot (She's polydactyl) with her 'pet' stuffed doggie she cuddles with. She was trying to keep me from going on a trip by invading my suitcase. LOL!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on exercise!

northlandstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi . . . A year ago June, my husband and I purchased a Highland Lynx from a breeder (who went out of business); we didn't know anything about this breed, but we fell in love with his beauty. His name was Denali and he was a "Snow Lynx" (beautiful creme color with blue eyes). From Day 1 he was absolutely wonderful, but we could see he was different from regular house cats. We had one other cat (a tuxedo cat) who we've had for 4 years. She likes to hunt and is good at it. At that time we had also just bought a Toy Australian puppy who was also our joy. Obviously, we love animals. Our property is 2 acres surrounded by a protected environment which is mostly trees and wetland. We also had a large fenced yard for the dog. Our Lynx was named "Denali" and as the weeks and months went on he exhibited all the traits of this species: voracious appetite, acted like a dog and allowed our puppy to play with him constantly. He didn't mind rough play and seemed not to realize that our dog was a dog. They became best friends in every way. However, he was somewhat aggressive with our other cat and intimidated her. But, eventually he would want to go outside and follow her around.

It was last June - getting to be summer- and both cats always wanted out early morning. I had kept a close eye on Denali when he was outside because he was so very sweet and I did not know if he had a strong survival instinct. Also, he weighed quite a bit at the end of the first year, was very strong, but not a lithe as our other cat who only weighs 7 pounds. But, Denali could jump onto our 5-foot fence with no problem and loved to investigate, but stayed close to home and learned to come when I called.

The June morning I mentioned, I let them both out about 4am. Later, when I got up I went out and called both of them, but Denali was nowhere. He simply vanished without a trace. We now know and believe he was taken by a coyote, which seem to be abundant around here. If I ever get another one, it will be an inside cat for sure.

As far as toys, he loved some little colored felted balls I bought on Amazon. He was quite amused with a lot of things and loved to knock things off of counters all the time. Nevertheless, we adored him and I miss him so much! I just don't want to get another one with the cat we now have, as I believe we might lose her too. Someday maybe . . . . .

Lucky are people who get them and protect them from the wild. Good luck with your girl!!!

Northstar