Anyone Else Get Super Clingy And Obsessed When Their Cat Is Ill?

UnderneathTheStars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wonder if I'm crazy or if this is something that other people go through. I don't have human children. Instead of human kids, I decided I wanted fur-kids so to me they really are my family.

Those of you who have seen my previous posts know I'm caring for an ill senior cat who I recently adopted. I've spent the last few weeks giving her medication, cleaning her eyes and nose, giving her lysine, and making sure she eats small meals every few hours to bring her weight up. I've been back and forth to the vet for multiple reasons. Luckily, she is improving and she is just the sweetest cat ever.

Now the problem is I have a hard time leaving her alone for more than a half hour. If I go grocery shopping I get anxiety wondering if she is ok. Is she lonely? Does she have enough food? Is her nose super stuffy and needing a cleaning?

Now she is eating by herself, playing, jumping around, and overall being a kitty again but I still worry a ton. Tonight I have my ten-year High School reunion and I really want to go but I dread leaving her alone.

How do I stop myself from being such a worry wart?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Your situation is understandable. You have a lot invested in your cats. A nanny cam that you can monitor with your cell phone should be fine. Cats, especially recuperating cats, need rest. Also, they pick up super easily on our anxieties, so the more calm and confident we are, the more secure and safe they feel. Although they are so dependent on us, they are stronger emotionally and more self-reliant than dogs; and what we cant do for them ourselves, we can find the resources who can.
You can prepare for the reunion and go enjoy yourself. If you cant do the nanny can, maybe a friend or family member can catsit (make sure they dont open any outside doors or windows while you are gone. :cheerleader:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're strange at all. Toffee felt a bit under the weather last night and even though he only had a minor negative reaction to the heat, I was still really worried about him. When my aunt's cat was ill, she gave him fresh human vegetables instead of cat food, as she was worried about him too. I think it's completely normal to feel anxious and worried for cats when they're not well - I agree that some sort of monitor cam sounds like a good idea if you're going to be out of the house.