Anyone else feel the 4.8 magnitude Earthquake centered in New Jersey today?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
At work here in Allentown, PA. and awhile ago I heard some rumbling, thought someone was moving stuff around upstairs but all of a sudden lots of workers talking about it, turns out it was a quake in New Jersey! I called Deb at home to make sure she was okay and she was, felt it too but thought it was workers fixing the street like they were doing yesterday, said Simba and Samantha jumped off the sofa, a few things fell off the fireplace but other than that all is okay. Very strange, lots of the women here at work are freaked out by it, but there's nothing we can do about it, it happens and hopefully that's the end of it.

Anyone else experience it this morning?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a friend from Philly message me. No one in my house felt it. I was going in and out of the house to treat my roses. DD said she was dancing in her room and DS had dozed off. But I don’t think anyone else has mentioned feeling this one locally either. Some of my relatives did feel it well where they live.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. Happened about 10:23 a.m. here in Hunterdon County, NJ. Grumbling, rumbling for a short while. Himself says he felt the floor trembling. Nothing fell, doors, didn't move. One cat ran from my study, other cat kept sleeping on a chair. Centered near Whitehouse Station, about 2 miles deep (Ramapo fault, probably) and 4.7 intensity.

When I went to the IGA in town about an hour later of course we chatted about it. Was told that the whole store (it's small) shook and bottles on shelves clinked together but nothing fell.

Now we wait for the (partial) eclipse on Monday. What exciting times we are living in!

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest did and my oldest didn’t even though they’re in the same school. My husband and I were home and didn’t feel it. A few minutes before my cats were running around like they had super zoomies and afterwards poor Bruno kept walking belly to the ground with big eyes and came to me and barfed some spit. He’s still very skittish but his brother Baby D is unfazed.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An aftershock at 5:59 p.m. 7 km SW of Gladstone NJ at a depth 9.4 km and magnitude 4.0

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Apparently, I did not feel it in Los Angeles, but I do have two friends in Pennsylvania. The one in Mount Bethel felt the whole house shake and the one in Bangor did not feel anything. Of course there can be a lot of variables that go with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently, I did not feel it in Los Angeles, but I do have two friends in Pennsylvania. The one in Mount Bethel felt the whole house shake and the one in Bangor did not feel anything. Of course there can be a lot of variables that go with that.
I go to Bangor on a pretty regular basis to pick up a client who lives there, I work for Sights for Hope in Allentown, PA. and she is one of the farthest away clients that I pick up, takes me about 45 minutes or so to get to her!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm outside of Philadelphia. People in my town felt it, and had stuff shaking. I was leaning against my dishwasher,waiting for the microwave to stop, and thought that I'd accidentally started the dishwasher, which is impossible, since the buttons are in the inside. It was just a small noise...if that's what it was.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in north NJ and sure felt it. I knew right away because I've felt them here before here though not that strong. It lasted a long time for us and our almost 100 year old home rumbled and groaned a bit LOL, stuff shaking but nothing fell. One of the cats got out of sorts over it for a bit. I happened to be on a Zoom call and the other person in NYC felt it also.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The USGS website is showing what must be 30 or so aftershocks. Are you feeling those? It seems unusual for an east coast quake. I don’t remember others having aftershocks.
IMG_6557.png

I'm outside of Philadelphia. People in my town felt it, and had stuff shaking. I was leaning against my dishwasher,waiting for the microwave to stop, and thought that I'd accidentally started the dishwasher, which is impossible, since the buttons are in the inside. It was just a small noise...if that's what it was.
The closest one I’ve experienced didn’t have a lot of shaking but it was loud. My kids and I all looked at each other confused. It sounded like someone had pulled one of the big big farm machines that go by right up to our house. That’s what I thought it was at first. I felt more rocking with the one that damaged stuff in DC and that was farther away.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of these numerous after-shocks are less than 2.0 magnitude. Keep in mind that it is a logarithmic scale so each "jump" is a factor of 10 e.g. 3.0 is 10 times as intense as 2.0, and 4.0 is 100 times as intense 2.0. Thus Friday's surprise earthquake of 3.8 was about 100 times as intense as these numerous aftershocks which are 1.5 / 1.7 / 1.8 etc..