Anyone else dealing with Uveitis in cat's eye?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I noticed that Sylvester's left eye, the one that he has the Uveitis in, wasn't opening all the way at times, but we saw some white stains around it and figured it was from the Prednisone drop that Deb gives him every night so we didn't put any in last night but instead put in "Refresh" to soothe his eye. Well, this morning it looked worse, mostly closed and had a clear discharge, so he had to go to get checked so we took him to the "Emergency" vet where his opthomalogist is even though she wasn't there, we figured if there were any issues they could talk to her and describe it if needed which they did call her, and they were bombarded with emergencies, several people we know had their pets put down as we saw them crying when they were leaving so it was not a pleasant day, we spent 9.5 hours there and they told us that he has an ulcer on his eye, would give us antibiotic drops to put in but that the opthomalogist (who actually runs the practice we found out today) will be in tomorrow so instead of bringing him home we decided to let them keep him overnight, they are open 24 hours a day everyday so he will be observed, let her look at him and make sure they are doing the correct thing because it is VERY hard to get in to see her, and we should be able to bring him home tomorrow most likely with an E-collar on, he's never had that but they don't want him to scratch his eye but I will talk to her tomorrow about that, we never had a cat wear one so we'll see, but the little guy for some reason developed an ulcer although she said it is superficial so we caught it early, and I think I remember her telling us months ago that sometimes they do develop these along with the Uveitis, and the tech tonight told us that a lot of times they happen even without trauma, so we just have to treat it and go from there, and I'm glad that we got him in right away although we lived there for the day!

I miss him already, and after losing Sabrina and Sugar recently this is just added stress that we don't need, but they'll take care of him....

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you could let her stay. I just got back from the e-vet and it’s a 8-10 wait. I decided to call and see if they can get her in early on Sunday. I felt so bad for some of the people in the waiting room.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That sounds stressful for you, but I'm glad he's getting good care. I hate leaving them overnight! I remember leaving one of my cats at an emergency vet for a few nights, and I got a print out of his records. A tech checked him literally every hour. Temp, heart rate, eating, drinking, stool quality, etc. and it made me feel really confident in them. (Of course, that clinic isn't there anymore.)
My dog (who has sense passed away) experienced a non-minor emergency in the middle of the night last week. I called 3 clinics. Not one of them had anyone on call. The lack of emergency care is downright disturbing. I'm glad Sylvester is somewhere safe and will come home soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Since March we have been dealing with Sylvester and Uveitis in his left eye, we took him to our vet and then to an opthomalogist and he has been getting Prednisone drops and seemed okay. But two nights ago I noticed his eye not always open and it had some white stains on his lid and under his eye so we thought it was from the drops which are white staining it and keeping his eye shut so we gave him Refresh drops instead of the medicine, but yesterday morning it was closed with a lot of dishcrge so we spent over nine hours at the emergency vet, they stained it and said he had a superficial ulcer and they kept him overnight so the opthamologist could see him this morning just to make sure they are diagnosing it correctly and giving us the correct course of treatment. I am wondering if anyone else has had to del with this issue, and what experiences and treatments you have used that work? They ran extensive bloodwork on him and x-rayed his lungs in March to rule out any issues and it was all clear, and we were told that many times this issue just happens and they never fully understand why it develops, so we are a bit puzzled. I know where he lived before we got him he didn't get the proper nutrition as he was forming and growing up so I wonder if his immune system was comprimised? But he sure gets good nutrition and fish oil and vitamins now!

ANY help would be appreciated, thank you!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds stressful for you, but I'm glad he's getting good care. I hate leaving them overnight! I remember leaving one of my cats at an emergency vet for a few nights, and I got a print out of his records. A tech checked him literally every hour. Temp, heart rate, eating, drinking, stool quality, etc. and it made me feel really confident in them. (Of course, that clinic isn't there anymore.)
My dog (who has sense passed away) experienced a non-minor emergency in the middle of the night last week. I called 3 clinics. Not one of them had anyone on call. The lack of emergency care is downright disturbing. I'm glad Sylvester is somewhere safe and will come home soon.
I am sorry that you lost your dog, so sorry....

When I saw his eye aboput 6:45 yesterday morning I called this place and asked if the opthamologist was in and they said "no", so I told them I might try to get in at our regular vet and they said that was fine but we were welcome to bring him in to them too. Deb and I talked about it and thought it would be better to take him to where the opthamologist works so she could at least talk to the vet about him if needed and we didn't know if we would get in at our vet anyway so we took him to the emergency clinic but I called ahead as the girl told me to do so they could put him on their schedule and I am glad that I did, when we walked in there were many people there already, and as time went on we heard that woman tell a walk in that they were on "pause" because of emergencies and too many people and it would be an 8-10 hour wait! I said to Deb "I doubt that" but here it was true as we got there around 10:10 and left at 7:33! They were telling people about other urgent care places to go to, and even called one to see what their situation was like and one of the other ones were also on "pause", so it was just nuts everywhere all the way around!

When we were leaving there were 3 young people working there at the desk and I asked again about people being there overnight and checking on him and the one young fella said "we'll take care of him, we love Sylvester".

So do we! :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your wife and you acted quickly to bring Sylvester to the ER vet especially since your ophthalmologist is on staff. I hope Sylvester will be able to come home and recuperate soon. :lovecat: Please keep us updated on his progress.

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I just called to check on him, the woman said the opthamologist is "in another room" checking on animals and will call me back and then said "he's doing well, we're just a little nervous" and my heart sank thinking she meant THEY the vets were nervous about his condition and I asked "what do you mean you're a little nervous?" and she said "no, I maen Sylvester is a little nervous, a different place, lots of smells and noises".

My gosh lady, DON'T do that to me!!!! :headshake: :mad2:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay the Opthamologist just called me and said he is okay, she put some kind of a contact lense thing in his eye and "he likes it and feels better", said it is most likely a viral infection which stumps me since I give him and others MANY supplements for immune system health, but we have to give him antibiotic drops 3 times a day or at least 2 depending on how he "behaves" with us and also another drop which I don't know what it is but that is every other day for 10 days then she wants to see him in 2 weeks and said "these things just happen, we'll get him through it".

So I'm off to get the little guy, I just want him HOME with us!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He's home, as soon as I opened the carrier door he ran downstairs and hid which we knew he would do. Coming home he was panting because he was upset and then he laid on his side which of course makes me think he is having a heart attack and I almost have one too, but I know they will do that but man that was upsetting. He has not been overnight at a vet's office since we got him 6.5 years ago and he had to be boarded, plus dogs barking and doors slamming and odd smells, he'll hide for a bit but then with time he will come out again. I just hope that he allows us to administer his new drops!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello -

Here is a list of TCS threads/posts in order of the most current first (so your two posts show up at the top);
Search Results for Query: uveitis
Thank you! I appreciate it! She does have on his report paperwork that he will have to be treated for it long term but we stopped the Prenisolone for now and have to give him antibiotic drop and another kind of some "new" one, she'll see him again in two weeks and we'll go from there. He's upset as all get out as am I, but we'll both calm down I hope lol! :eek2:

Just in time to get upset watching the Broncos on TV tonight, right lol?!!!! :p

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol: :thumbsup: Awww said:
He actually came out already!! I was sitting on the sofa watching some of the Eagles game and I noticed a cat walking up towards me and it's him! I had put some treats down behind the sofa where he was "hiding" so that might have drawn him out, but I was scratching his neck and he was loving it, and then he actually jumped up and snuggled with me as close as he could get to me, and was purring his little head off!

I just love this little guy....:rbheart:

Now let's hope he cooperates with us giving him the new drops!! :clapcat: :help: :please: :eek2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
the Opthamologist just called me and said he is okay, she put some kind of a contact lense thing in his eye and "he likes it and feels better"
A Persian cat we raised from a kitten many moons ago scratched his cornea. He was strictly indoors so we never could figure out what he did or how it happened but we also had to bring him to an ophthalmologist. The doctor put a contact lens on his eye and it healed nicely. We never had that happen again nor did he have another problem with his eye. I hope the same is true for Sylvester. :crossfingers:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
A Persian cat we raised from a kitten many moons ago scratched his cornea. He was strictly indoors so we never could figure out what he did or how it happened but we also had to bring him to an ophthalmologist. The doctor put a contact lens on his eye and it healed nicely. We never had that happen again nor did he have another problem with his eye. I hope the same is true for Sylvester. :crossfingers:
This makes me feel better about this, thanks! He also is indoors only, so who knows?

And the paperwork says it is some sort of "bandage" but she said "lense", but obviously it must still allow the drops to penetrate his eye so it can heal? I'm still waiting on her return email explaining it better.

And he is out already! About 2 hours ago he just walked up to where I was and I was scratching his neck and then he jumped up with me and couldn't get close enough to me, snuggling and purring his little head off! He's so happy to be home, and I do believe he knows we just wanted to help him!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, this is wonderful news!!
He's in the window behind me looking out like always, and a few minutes ago Deb said "Vester, can I put your drop in?", he went to the couch and looked up and she dropped it in like nothing, let's see if that luck continues lol!!! :clapcat: :lol:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with uveitis years ago. I don't know what caused it, likely a cornea scratch since back then I let my cat outdoors (I have since reformed.)
He did go to an ophthamalogist for the rest of his life and was on prednisone drops for the rest of his life. The drops controlled it well and it wasn't bad to put them in.
He finally passed from pancreatic cancer at age 15 years, nothing to do with his eye. So he had a good long life.
That's my experience, I don't have any knowledge to add.
I hope he does well!

Just in time to get upset watching the Broncos on TV tonight, right lol?!!!! :p
I watched it and felt better at the end!