Anyone Crochet?

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anyone here crochet? I've been learning thru youtube videos. I'm working on a flower granny square afghan right now. The flowers are different colors with a dark purple center and a white background. For my next project I think I want to do something bright like this http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/hexagon-howto.html. I love the hexagon look. Question is, where do I find such bright colors? Joanne's selection the last time I was there was mostly boring colors. Michaels seemed the same way. Also, is acrylic better than cotton, or vice versa?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
walmart here has lots of bright colors....

I like blends

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heres the one I've been working on (I need to cut my tails off). Since I took the picture and started piecing them together they are a round bigger than seen in the picture. The pattern is a sunflower pattern I found on Youtube that had step by step instructions.

I just want something with more color in the next project

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never stopped to think about Walmart. I might have to look there.

Also wanted to add that I used Vanna's Choice for that one. I think I need to use something that isn't as soft next time. I'm not sure if I like it.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've gotten a lot of knitting and crochet supplies at http://www.herrschners.com and found that they have a huge variety. As far as the type of yarn/thread you use, it depends on what you're making and what feel you want. Also consider ease of washing. I love working with wool, but it probably needs the most care. Cotton is very easy to just throw in the washing machine, but it isn't as soft as acrylics. I think the colors in cotton also tend to be more muted, or maybe they just fade faster.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jo Ann here has a much wider variety of colors than Michaels.

Good luck!! I wish I knew how to Crochet!!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with looking at Walmart. They always have tons of different colors. They also have a bunch of different colors of the cotton yarns (peaches and cream, etc) which I prefer to use. Hubby bought me a couple skeins of fat yarn from walmart for xmas. I can't wait to get around to using it. I'm going to make myself a scarf.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Michael's I used to design at always had a good stock of yarn. Sorry you had no luck near you! There's a local store here in Memphis called "Yarn2Go" it's really neat! The first flower shop I ever designed in was next door, so we got to know the owners of the yarn store well. I'm sure that they would be happy to take pictures of their selection and email them to you/ship things out! They're wonderful people! http://www.treasuresof.com/View.aspx?treasureId=6246

Have you tried Hobby Lobby or Garden Ridge if you have one near you? I would also look on Esty as well!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've crocheted for years and years, and I tend to stick with acrylic. I like Red Heart Super Saver yarns - they change their colors often so you have to buy all you need at once or risk not having enough to finish a project, but they have some really vibrant jewel tones.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I've crocheted for years and years, and I tend to stick with acrylic. I like Red Heart Super Saver yarns - they change their colors often so you have to buy all you need at once or risk not having enough to finish a project, but they have some really vibrant jewel tones.
I love the Red Heart colours as well. I've ordered my bright colours in the past from Annie's Attic in Texas. I just couldn't find the vivid colours I wanted for baby afghans anywhere here in Canada. It was still cheaper for me to order from Texas. I love Annie's Attic.

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently I have started to knit & crochet again, after not doing any for many years. There is a Knitter's group here at the complex. We knit or crochet chemo & premii hats, walker bags, lap robes and whatever. Yarn is donate and we have a lot to choose from. We take donations for items to put money to use for those items not donate. We meet 2 twice a month. You can do one item or many. I am finding out a lot about yarns. I crochet afghans in the 'ros. I have one I did for my Mother and it is over 50 years old.

Kato help me crochet the blue & white afghan and thinks it belongs to him. I will check and put it on. JoAnns, Michaels & Wal-mart all carry yarn. The selection of colors & type varies with each store.An example Wal-mart in Mountain Home has a good selection of yarn. The Wal-mart stores in Boise do not. There is one Jo Ann in Boise, I haven't been able to see what they have. There 2 Michaels in the area, yarn slection is fair; scraping is being push right now. A new craft store open around Christmas, I think that may be my selection for my own project.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies! I purchased a few Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn skeins from Michaels (I was dissapointed in Joann yet again when I went). I went online and bought some other colors that I couldn't find here and will hopefully get them in a few days. I made a few hexagons with the ones I have so far and joined them. I think this yarn is easier to work with than the Vanna's choice or maybe it's because I went from a J hook to an H? I'll take a picture when I get home.

My inspiration:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/464932@N23/pool/

is the hexagon love pool on flickr, but I really love this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feitoam...ool-464932@N23

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but it's so purty and colorful!!
My boyfriend told me all the different colors are ugly and so I asked if he had a choice what would one look like?...His response was all black and the blackest black I could find. That's just no fun in my opinion. Haha. I think he just says things to get me riled up.

penstemon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kato found one of the round inner circle in my yarn bag and decided it is a favorite toy. It is brown, he throws in the air catches. It is nice soft so it doesn't hurt his mouth. Great toy. I was doing to do one several years ago.