Anyone Any Experience With Splints On Cats?

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My poor girl pagan, was in our garden enjoying the sun when our neighbours son walked by with their little French bulldog, of course the dog wanted to play chase with pagan, naturally she hissed and tried to scratch the dog. Well the boy panicked and kicked my poor baby girl! I ran over and scooped her up and inside the house, but I could immediately see she was injured. So she's now had x-rays and she has a dislocated elbow and torn ligaments, she has been sent home wearing a splint with bandages and is booked in for surgery in 5 days time, which will be a total of 9 days since the incident happened. The problem I have is that she won't keep the splint on, she lays down and kicks it straight back off again with her hind legs! I'm worried she's doing more damage to her joint and ligaments, and I'm worried her leg won't be able to be saved!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitten, i am so sorry that happened to her. I have never had a cat with this issue, but i would think the splint is important. I think i would call the vet and ask their opinion. There may even be a different splint they can use on her that will not come off so easy, im sure they will have see this happen before.

im guessing she is your avatar? Pretty little girl!

Best of luck to her, i am sending you guys all my best wishes for a full recovery! :vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it's too late to reach your Vet today, I'm wondering if you can use tape or Coban to try to keep it on her? Or cover it up with a sock or something similar and tape THAT on? At least until you can talk to your Vet?

Are you keeping her on "bedrest"? She might as well get used to it, because after surgery she will need to be confined to a small area, perhaps a dog crate or something similar so she can't jump and injure herself while she's healing. But it will need to be large enough to house a bed, litter box and a toy or two and food and water dish, naturally. Here's a thread that discusses recovery: Kitten Fractured Back Leg, Have To Keep Her In A Cage For The Next Few Weeks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank
Poor kitten, i am so sorry that happened to her. I have never had a cat with this issue, but i would think the splint is important. I think i would call the vet and ask their opinion. There may even be a different splint they can use on her that will not come off so easy, im sure they will have see this happen before.

Best of luck to her, i am sending you guys all my best wishes for a full recovery! :vibes:
Than

Thank you so much, I'm hoping they put a different one on her after her surgery I'm so scared she'll damage it further. My avatar is actually pagans little niece her name is Scarlett thank you she is a little beauty.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about the splint, i bet they will have good advice or a different one they can use! And crating her may be necessary, not fun, but it works.

And yes Scarlett is a pretty! When you get time put some photos of Pagan up in the new member section, if you have not, so we can all oooh and ahhh over her too :)

You are doing the right thing, getting her the vet care she needs. Cats are very resilient little creatures, normally they heal up and do fine, despite their active little personalities. :) They just give us a few more gray hairs in the process.
Keep us updated on your little girl!

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's too late to reach your Vet today, I'm wondering if you can use tape or Coban to try to keep it on her? Or cover it up with a sock or something similar and tape THAT on? At least until you can talk to your Vet?

Are you keeping her on "bedrest"? She might as well get used to it, because after surgery she will need to be confined to a small area, perhaps a dog crate or something similar so she can't jump and injure herself while she's healing. But it will need to be large enough to house a bed, litter box and a toy or two and food and water dish, naturally. Here's a thread that discusses recovery: Kitten Fractured Back Leg, Have To Keep Her In A Cage For The Next Few Weeks?
Thank you I wasn't aware she should be on bed rest they didn't tell me that. I think I will try the sock that seems like a good idea, the vet we use won't be open again til Monday morning so I will give them a call then.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talk to your vet about the splint, i bet they will have good advice or a different one they can use! And crating her may be necessary, not fun, but it works.

And yes Scarlett is a pretty! When you get time put some photos of Pagan up in the new member section, if you have not, so we can all oooh and ahhh over her too :)

You are doing the right thing, getting her the vet care she needs. Cats are very resilient little creatures, normally they heal up and do fine, despite their active little personalities. :) They just give us a few more gray hairs in the process.
Keep us updated on your little girl!
They certainly do put years on you don't they, but they are so worth it, I will call the vet back on Monday morning when they open again. I have photos of all my cats on the new members forum, but I'll upload a more recent one of pagan

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, pretty baby! I have a tuxedo cat too, i think they are so beautiful. I wish i could give her a big pet and some love. Sending her hugs and snuggles! :hugs:

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, pretty baby! I have a tuxedo cat too, i think they are so beautiful. I wish i could give her a big pet and some love. Sending her hugs and snuggles! :hugs:
I'll give her some love from you, thank you so much, I just love her little face she's so precious :hearthrob:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you reached out to your neighbors about their son's behavior? Now that your cat is stable, that would be a serious concern for me.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you reached out to your neighbors about their son's behavior? Now that your cat is stable, that would be a serious concern for me.
Yes I did but they more or less told me that their concern was for their dog (the dog wasn't hurt at all) and that it's ONLY a cat and they are vicious animals anyway. :bawling:

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your neighbors seem to be the only vicious animals involved in all of this. I hope Pagan heals nice and quick and isn't too traumatized from the experience.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's ADORABLE :loveeyes:.

BTW, I can see why you're having a hard time keeping that splint on. It almost looks like you need to rig up something to it that goes over her shoulders like a harness or something. Hopefully you're Vet will come up with something better after her surgery.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's ADORABLE :loveeyes:.

BTW, I can see why you're having a hard time keeping that splint on. It almost looks like you need to rig up something to it that goes over her shoulders like a harness or something. Hopefully you're Vet will come up with something better after her surgery.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, because she just kicks it off with her hind legs. I tried it though, I taped another bandage around the splint and brought it over her shoulders and back over her chest but she still kicked it off and was then left with the splint hanging around her shoulders like a necklace, lol, she's like a little Houdini :gaah:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would file a police report, just in case something happens again. I would also not let her outside unsupervised.

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I would file a police report, just in case something happens again. I would also not let her outside unsupervised.
I was wondering if i should involve the police, is that what you would do? They wouldnt normally be outside its just it was a beautiful day :sniffle:

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if i should involve the police, is that what you would do? They wouldnt normally be outside its just it was a beautiful day :sniffle:

HellsBells80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE ON PAGAN:
So Pagan went in for her surgery to repair her elbow this morning, and I've had a call from the vet to say there is no cartilage left around her elbow that they can use to repair it. So the only option left for her is a lifetime of pain or amputation. I made the decision to amputate . My poor beautiful baby girl, my heart is breaking for her I've cried all morning I'm so sad for her. Will she learn to manage on 3 legs now? Did I make the right decision? :confused2::sniffle: