Anyone able to feel thyroid bump in Cat with Hyperthyroidism?

jakigrrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All-

Back in August I felt a lump in my cat Maeby's throat and immediately booked an appointment. In my mind, best case scenario was hyperthyroidism. When I got to the vet, she couldn't feel it but her thyroid T-4 level came back at 4.1. Vet said they start watching thyroid with T-4 levels over 4 and since she had gained weight and had no clinical symptoms, we set up a follow-up in November.

Last week (mid October) we decided she was showing enough symptoms to take her back early. This time the other vet felt the bump and said it was moveable so she wasn't sure it was thyroid and we might want a scan because her T-4 wasn't alarming (from the first test) and she gained a little weight. However, her T-4 came back at 7.8 this time. A 3rd vet (sigh) called me with the results and said sometimes the thyroid growth can occur in the tissue below the thyroid, but she hadn't felt the lump and couldn't speak to it. Finally, the original vet advised we start her on meds. She said not many cats actually have lumps that you can feel with hyperthyroidism but in her opinion, starting meds and not getting an ultrasound at the moment was the best course of action.

So, naturally, I'm obsessively googling what a thyroid lump feels like in cats and not coming up with much.
Has anyone else had cases where they could feel a lump on their cat's thyroid?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, as it progresses you can sometimes feel that. We could with Lily. He also said that hyperthyroid cats can have bite of thyroid growing elsewhere, and that's why surgery doesn't always work but can still help reduce the issue.

Plus surgery, you can check if it's cancerous, which is rare but happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jakigrrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s good to hear, they made it seem very rare. What did Lily’s feel like? Did you end up doing surgery?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
J jakigrrr I didn't know the subtle signs of hyperthyroid, so it was quite progressed when diagnosed. Her heart rate was too high for surgery. It went down, but she ended up with a chronic URI. I know now it was fungal but didn't then and was at a different vet who refused to consider that because she "only went in an enclosed garden".

It was like a small lump.

If I had been with my current vet, they are cat only so I expect they would have followed proper medical procedure (as per VCA recommended actions) of keeping her on antibiotics for 2 weeks post symptoms for the first infection, and known that a fungal infection may not show on slides and tried the medication. Then we likely would have done surgery to limit the amount of medication she would need.

Lily's hyperthyroid needed a large dosage per day to get under control. Sometimes as you add medication, the thyroid picks up pace again. It was also recommended to me that 1st stage renal food may help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jakigrrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
J jakigrrr I didn't know the subtle signs of hyperthyroid, so it was quite progressed when diagnosed. Her heart rate was too high for surgery. It went down, but she ended up with a chronic URI. I know now it was fungal but didn't then and was at a different vet who refused to consider that because she "only went in an enclosed garden".

It was like a small lump.

If I had been with my current vet, they are cat only so I expect they would have followed proper medical procedure (as per VCA recommended actions) of keeping her on antibiotics for 2 weeks post symptoms for the first infection, and known that a fungal infection may not show on slides and tried the medication. Then we likely would have done surgery to limit the amount of medication she would need.

Lily's hyperthyroid needed a large dosage per day to get under control. Sometimes as you add medication, the thyroid picks up pace again. It was also recommended to me that 1st stage renal food may help.
Poor girl! Sounds like a stressful time and it sounds like most people find out when their cat loses weight.

Maeby is only 3 days into meds so I’m hoping for steady improvement and no surprises!