Anybody use royal canin indoor adult?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since they are out of production for my oral care they suggested indoor adult as a substitute. I wonder how the size of the kibble compares? Anybody know?

btw the factory says no production on the oral care until at least after the end of 2022. But they were quick to say “we have not quit production of this product “.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, cannot help you with this issue.. RC is a pain. I contacted them again, about my cats prescription food. You got more information than I did.

Same old line.. “we have not quit production of this product “. I say Bull..... This started when MARS purchased the company!!

They were quick to tell me to switch to the dry food... That it is still in production----however, you cannot find it on their website.. Makes me feel that it is not being produced anymore....

Honestly, I do not think there is much difference in the size of the oral vs regular dry food. I think the regular food is just a bit smaller and a bit less hard..... The crunching is what cleans the teeth---if you are of that belief..

((hugs)))

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dental diets and most dental treats don't clean teeth, kind of like you crunching on hard pretzels to clean your teeth instead of brushing. TCS has an article: Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth? – TheCatSite Articles

Royal Canin is not considered to be a very good brand because of the poor quality ingredients.

Can you brush your cat's teeth instead? That is the best way to remove plaque from the teeth. Many cats love the CET poultry flavored toothpaste. There are videos you can watch to see how tooth brushing is done on cats. You can try dental gels and such that are directly swabbed onto the teeth. Some people say that dental additives that are added to the bowl of water helps but cats don't drink enough water as it is, especially if on a dry food only diet, so a few laps of water a day isn't going to do much.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they are out of production for my oral care they suggested indoor adult as a substitute. I wonder how the size of the kibble compares? Anybody know?

btw the factory says no production on the oral care until at least after the end of 2022. But they were quick to say “we have not quit production of this product “.
Why is the vet suggesting royal canin oral care? Does he have a medical condition?

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The idea behind an oral care diet is that the tooth has to go so far through the kibble before it breaks and the fibres in the kibble scrub the tooth as the cat chews. The kibbles, as such, are quite large, which is also good for a cat who needs to slow down their eating. Royal Canin recommending the Indoor formula as a substitute suggests a few possibilities - one, they want to keep you eating their food, so they're suggesting another recipe with a larger kibble. Two, they've put some sort of oral care component into their Indoor formula and you should compare the ingredients, and/or contact them again to confirm this. Three, their oral care kibble wasn't any great shakes anyhow. If you are specifically looking for an oral care diet, try Science Diet Oral care or Hill's t/d instead.

scritch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My understanding is that they haven't quit production, they've just paused it due to supply chain issues. They're primarily recommending alternatives within their brand that will meet similar needs, but aren't necessarily 1:1 comparisons.

If your cat really needs an oral care diet, another option to consider is a different brand's equivalent.