Anybody here allergic to their cat?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently stuck living in my brother's home and the only way I can keep my cat is if they stay in my bedroom. My allergies sometimes get pretty bad. I finally gave in and used an inhaler for the first time in my life today. I don't know if I have asthma, but the more I am around them the more irritated my lungs feel so my regular doctor prescribed me albuterol and breo ellipta (which i haven't tried yet.) Has anyone tried relying on medications? Will this even work since I will still be around what is causing me allergies?

I was reading online to get advice and the only advice I can find is to re-home the cats. I posted my own thread that I had to delete because people were calling me stupid and saying I would kill myself because of the cats.

I don't know what to do anymore. I have fought so hard to keep these cats. But I am struggling to breathe. When I went to an allergist last year she told me the only real solution is to rehome them. Sometimes weeks go by and I can breathe just fine, but sometimes it gets pretty bad.

I don't know what to do. I can't even imagine giving away my cats. I don't know anyone that can take them in. I've had the thought of just building them a catio attached to my room, but then that means they would be outside all day. And they wouldn't see me much.

I found a website called curex where I can try taking allergy drops, but I read that takes time to work and I am not sure if my insurance would cover it. But I signed up anyway to see what happens.

I dont know if I should ask my brother if I can just sleep in the living room. But I feel like that just puts me in the way, and the couch isn't that comfortable.

I tried using an air purifier but for some reason that seemed to kick up the cat hair and make things worse. I am going to try daily vacuuming and using the air purifier again.

I am just posting this to see if I can someone with severe allergies that managed to keep their cats.

I dont know if its gotten worse, or if my anxiety is making my symptoms worse. I am feeling so lost and need someone to talk to.

edit: I am googling masks that might help block allergens just to see if I can try sleeping with a mask. LOL I even googled to see if there was anyway to buy some kind of pod that would block all the air from outside the pod. I am aware of how crazy I sound. But honestly, I will try anything at this point. So please be kind, I think I am having an anxiety attack. Maybe if I can hold out long enough that I can start the allergen drops and they can start working. I am willing to try everything I can before I get to the point of rehoming.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWLBVF2/?tag=thecatsite

I bought this, but I dont know if it would be okay to sleep in. Not sure if its safe to have air blown into my face while I sleep.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are allergic to our cats. Allergists hate when people own cats I think.

We have a HEPA filter air purifier which helps SO much. (Yes it will kick up the hair if it's there as it is moving the hair. I recommend doing a VERY thorough vacuum before turning it on)

Also the vacuum having a HEPA filter helps a lot. We have a small vacuum for hardwood and a big Eureka Pet Vac for the furniture.

Allergen covers for your mattress and pillows. Ones that are certified for bed bugs are legitimate. These help with dustmites AND cat allergies. You can get a dustmite duvet cover as well.

A good brush, especially to use during shedding seasons. We use a silicone mitt glove and a fine tooth one. We either take them outside to do it or vacuum after.

Using another sheet over everything on your bed and removing it before sleep helps. Also having the right type of sheets helps. We've been collecting actual cotton sheets with a high thread count as they don't hold cat hair like jersey or polyester ones do. We've been getting them used, as we certainly can't afford $100 sheets.

We got a chom-chom for their pet furniture. It's amazing. 10/10 the best $25 we ever spent.

Would your insurance cover allergy shots? My friend says that worked well for her. I don't have insurance so I haven't tried this.

I'm also wanting to try this suppliment for breaking down histamines in the body. I've heard it works very well for reducing allergen symptoms. Histamine can build up in the body. What to Know About Diamine Oxidase (DAO) for Histamine Intolerance.

I know people have also had great luck with low histamine probiotics. Histamine Intolerance Probiotics: Low Histamine Probiotics List

Purina has a food that is supposed to lower the amount of allergens a can gives off. My cat is allergic to beef and can't have it. Purina Pro Plan LiveClear Indoor Adult Dry Cat Food - Turkey | cat Dry Food | PetSmart

burts bees has a dancer reducing spray and wipes. Dander and saliva are usually the cause of allergies, as well as the allergens like pollen and dust that stick to your cats hair. So the food and wipes combination may help best. Burt's Bees Natural Pet Care | Our Products

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are allergic to our cats. Allergists hate when people own cats I think.

We have a HEPA filter air purifier which helps SO much. (Yes it will kick up the hair if it's there as it is moving the hair. I recommend doing a VERY thorough vacuum before turning it on)

Also the vacuum having a HEPA filter helps a lot. We have a small vacuum for hardwood and a big Eureka Pet Vac for the furniture.

Allergen covers for your mattress and pillows. Ones that are certified for bed bugs are legitimate. These help with dustmites AND cat allergies. You can get a dustmite duvet cover as well.

A good brush, especially to use during shedding seasons. We use a silicone mitt glove and a fine tooth one. We either take them outside to do it or vacuum after.

Using another sheet over everything on your bed and removing it before sleep helps. Also having the right type of sheets helps. We've been collecting actual cotton sheets with a high thread count as they don't hold cat hair like jersey or polyester ones do. We've been getting them used, as we certainly can't afford $100 sheets.

We got a chom-chom for their pet furniture. It's amazing. 10/10 the best $25 we ever spent.

Would your insurance cover allergy shots? My friend says that worked well for her. I don't have insurance so I haven't tried this.

I'm also wanting to try this suppliment for breaking down histamines in the body. I've heard it works very well for reducing allergen symptoms. Histamine can build up in the body. What to Know About Diamine Oxidase (DAO) for Histamine Intolerance.

I know people have also had great luck with low histamine probiotics. Histamine Intolerance Probiotics: Low Histamine Probiotics List

Purina has a food that is supposed to lower the amount of allergens a can gives off. My cat is allergic to beef and can't have it. Purina Pro Plan LiveClear Indoor Adult Dry Cat Food - Turkey | cat Dry Food | PetSmart

burts bees has a dancer reducing spray and wipes. Dander and saliva are usually the cause of allergies, as well as the allergens like pollen and dust that stick to your cats hair. So the food and wipes combination may help best. Burt's Bees Natural Pet Care | Our Products
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out. You helped calm me in the middle of an anxiety attack.

I do have a bed tent over my bed to keep the cats off the bed and keep the pet hair away. But of course, this wont block the cat dander.

I just started taking - Quercetin with Bromelain, for the past couple of days.

I cant change my cats food, because they get home made food. :(

thank you for all the products you suggested, I am looking into them right now.

What air purifier do you have? I have to toss the one I have. Its giving off a weird smell.

And again, thank you for helping to calm me. When someone on reddit it told me I was killing myself it triggered a panic attack.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you’ve found what you needed (hooray!) but as a host who has repeat-visiting guests with young children AND a father both allergic to my cat, what worked in their case was simply repeated exposure. Obviously their allergies perhaps weren’t as severe as yours, but thought I’d add this in b/c it might help others. The first time, the kids & dad toughed it out, getting coughs and rashes and everything: I was impressed! (And I had cleaned the house within an inch of its life beforehand). The next time: nothing. They were able to pet the cat (during shedding season) and even said they might get a cat of their own! They actually looked relieved and, proud of themselves. I don’t know why this worked for them…I wish I did! Anyway good luck w/ it all…it is brave and kind of you to own a cat, despite everything.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out. You helped calm me in the middle of an anxiety attack.

I do have a bed tent over my bed to keep the cats off the bed and keep the pet hair away. But of course, this wont block the cat dander.

I just started taking - Quercetin with Bromelain, for the past couple of days.

I cant change my cats food, because they get home made food. :(

thank you for all the products you suggested, I am looking into them right now.

What air purifier do you have? I have to toss the one I have. Its giving off a weird smell.

And again, thank you for helping to calm me. When someone on reddit it told me I was killing myself it triggered a panic attack.
It's really important to have the allergen covers, especially if you have a tent over your bed, because it's sunlight that kills dust mites. Dustmites can survive even if you make your bed with just a light blanket on it. (I'm very allergic to them).

I got a purifier from Costco, and one from Staples. I didn't want to mess around with Amazon products. They each have a carbon filter, and a HEPA filter, but the one from Costco has a dust screen which you can clean more frequently and save your HEPA filter.

I really cannot express either that anyone with athsma or cat allergies who has a cat should be getting a HEPA filter for their vacuum. Otherwise, your vacuum can be blowing allergens around since they are so small.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you’ve found what you needed (hooray!) but as a host who has repeat-visiting guests with young children AND a father both allergic to my cat, what worked in their case was simply repeated exposure. Obviously their allergies perhaps weren’t as severe as yours, but thought I’d add this in b/c it might help others. The first time, the kids & dad toughed it out, getting coughs and rashes and everything: I was impressed! (And I had cleaned the house within an inch of its life beforehand). The next time: nothing. They were able to pet the cat (during shedding season) and even said they might get a cat of their own! They actually looked relieved and, proud of themselves. I don’t know why this worked for them…I wish I did! Anyway good luck w/ it all…it is brave and kind of you to own a cat, despite everything.
Unfortunately repeated exposure has only made my allergies worse. I have had these two cats for more or less 10 years. the difference is that I now have to share a bedroom with them. Which i read online is a horrible thing to do if you have allergies. However, you are right that it does work for people with milder allergies. I have seen it happen to many family members. So I don't want my post to scare away others from adopting. Overall I have pretty serious issues with allergies. I even have scarring down my esophagus due to food allergies that cause food to get stuck when I eat a trigger.

It's really important to have the allergen covers, especially if you have a tent over your bed, because it's sunlight that kills dust mites. Dustmites can survive even if you make your bed with just a light blanket on it. (I'm very allergic to them).

I got a purifier from Costco, and one from Staples. I didn't want to mess around with Amazon products. They each have a carbon filter, and a HEPA filter, but the one from Costco has a dust screen which you can clean more frequently and save your HEPA filter.

I really cannot express either that anyone with asthma or cat allergies who has a cat should be getting a HEPA filter for their vacuum. Otherwise, your vacuum can be blowing allergens around since they are so small.
I will look into allergen covers. I just bought a hepa air purifier that I pick up tomorrow from target. I am not sure if my vacuum has a hepa filter but I will check.

I am feeling better this morning, I slept with a mask and used the mask I got from amazon with the hepa filter and I am breathing easier today. I think the medicine I took yesterday helped to calm my lungs. I think the worse mistake I make is that as soon as I start feeling better I start being less careful and don't wear a mask around the cats or change my clothes if I pick them up. My cat recently had surgery so I have been handling her more and taking her back and forth to the vet.

Thank you again for helping to calm me. I haven't had such a bad panic attack in a long time. I want to try doing allergy drops rather than shots. It's convenient because I can do it from home. I am hoping I can figure out a way to do this.

edit: i found some pillow covers and something I can put over my bed. I will have to wait about 3 weeks to be able to buy them. Money is tight and I had to budget in the air purifier that I bought today. :sigh:

edit 2:

https://www.bjs.com/product/name/3000000000003293278
it doesnt seem like my vacuum has a hepa filter. And I recently bought it a few months ago. :sigh:

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm very allergic to Abby. I do get allergy shots, but they only help so much. I keep her off of my bed. I take Xyzal. I wash my hands after touching her, her bowls, toys, etc. Using a neti pot periodically may help.

There may be some ideas for you in this article as well:

Living With Cat Allergy – TheCatSite Articles

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found that you can get replacement HEPA filters for your vacuum! https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B093T9M1H3/?tag=

I hope these ideas help for while you're living in your squished space with them. I think you might have to consider if this is a permanent living arrangement how well it will continue working for you long term, depending obviously on how well everything works and your cats' life expectancies vs how many symptoms you're comfortable managing daily.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very allergic to Abby. I do get allergy shots, but they only help so much. I keep her off of my bed. I take Xyzal. I wash my hands after touching her, her bowls, toys, etc. Using a neti pot periodically may help.

There may be some ideas for you in this article as well:

Living With Cat Allergy – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you for the link! I have already read up on the efficacy of allergy shots/drops and I know it takes a long time to build up immunity. but I think it's worth it to at least try. Ive heard of the neti pot but never thought to try it.

I found that you can get replacement HEPA filters for your vacuum! https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B093T9M1H3/?tag=

I hope these ideas help for while you're living in your squished space with them. I think you might have to consider if this is a permanent living arrangement how well it will continue working for you long term, depending obviously on how well everything works and your cats' life expectancies vs how many symptoms you're comfortable managing daily.
Thank you for the help! I will buy it with my next paycheck.

I don't know how permanent my situation is. I am trying to switch jobs, but the cost of living in Miami is so high that I don't know when it will happen. But I am doing everything I can to increase my pay. I've gone to so many job interviews. I am currently only making $20 an hour and that's not enough to live on my own in Florida. I heard that not even 25$ an hour is enough to live alone anymore. I am not sure what to do to change my situation. My health isnt that great, so I don't know if I have the physical or mental health to get a second job. I struggle with depression and anxiety and don't want to push myself too far.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
terestrife terestrife That's super understandable. Cost of living is so high everywhere right now. I could not live on my own either, but I am married.