~Anybody have a Hedgehog?~

draquiden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't posted here yet, but have read the boards quite often... We have a hedgehog... Snowball is an albino hedgehog that has lost both eyes due to cancer...

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this thread makes me ALMOST want to go to the breeder in NH and pick one up!!! I really think I'd like to have a hedgehog.......

furry ferals, I hope that you can try to have a gentler tone next time you post. it's always really difficult to just 'know' what tone a person is trying to speak in when we're typing.

mom_2_3, have you seen the breeder's site in NH? does it look any good to you? it's kind of strange to look at because they just have so MANY...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Renovia...I dont think Ive seen that site in particular. Im in Southern Indiana and I got my girl from a small KY breeder who only has 3 females and 1 male. I checked online locally for breeders but came across large scale breeders which I really didnt want to find my baby. While there are larger breeders who do know what they are doing etc, the smaller breeders have more time to socialize babies, have less health problems etc so that was the route I went.

They are really neat pets. Snowball is simply adorable. I constantly have something going on at my house throughout the week for the kids of the neighborhood and they are so facinated by Zuri they can barely keep their mind on the task at hand.

Im sorry if I snapped back in my post. Just irratates me when people use such harsh tones. Its true you catch more flys with honey than vinegar. If you want people to know the right way teach them the right way dont pound it into their heads. Just my opinion.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did it take long to litter box train him? i read on that nh site that basically it's a crapshoot if they can do it or not. i'm also scared that they might hibernate....they seem really finicky about heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl Zuri was introduced to litter soon as she was up running about. It all depends on how you do it because I know of people who dont use litter and just allow them to "go" somewhere off in the corner in the bedding material they use. The breeder I got her from said when they are little just scoop up their droppings and put them in the litter box in their cage. They tend to go in the same place and also go where there is other droppings. My girl is fully litter trained. She does not go anywhere else but her little corner ferret litter box. I used all natural cat litter, NOT the clumping type. She is still a baby but she is a pro at it already. YES they do have to stay above 70 degrees. Alot of people use the snuggle safe disk for cat beds etc in their cage when its cool. I just keep our little girl in one of the warmer rooms of the house close to a vent. When it gets hot enough that I need air on then Ill simply use a heating pad under her cage or get a reptile heater. There are a few options for keeping them warm. Most of the time its around 72 degrees in my house anyway. If its much colder than 70 degrees then usually my FAMILY is complaining so I dont have to worry bout it much.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know that we keep our house kind of cool - what climate are they actually used to . . . . .

do you really keep her in her cage all day while you are out and she's ok with that???

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by mom_2_3;

~WOW that was alittle nasty of a reply to people who were only trying to HELP.
No,Not nasty,I don't take issue with people not knowing something.

Originally Posted by mom_2_3;

FYI not sure about where YOU are but I have been researching Hedgehogs for some time and depending on what website/book you pick up on them it will tell you different things. Some I have read say they are nocturnal. Others Diurnal....and I QUOTE from the site I get most of my information from
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/introduction.shtml "Besides having a peaceful and humorous nature, hedgehogs readily lend themselves to just about anyone's lifestyle and schedule. Being diurnal (awake parts of both day and night) just like house cats,
nearly everyone can find a time of day in which to enjoy them."~
However I am a stickler for facts and people knowing and NOT correcting something.
Which is the reason for my post,Since some people tend to believe what they read and since you had the opportunity to put the record straight even knowing what you know,but didn't,Then I will correct any misinformation I see.It's Nothing personal or any malice intended.

If anybody does not like the way I write or speak then just take it with a pinch of salt,I don't mind,I really don't have the time to waste on public niceties
Just because something is written on a public forum wether or not it is a cat forum is irrelevant,because Misinformation regarding animals wherever it is,costs lives.

I know some people would like to change the definitions of the English
language but I'm afraid that will never happen.
Well....not so long as there are the British.

This is the definition of nocturnal for the benefit of anybody who
does not know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnal

Yeah,I live in the UK,where hedgehogs roam free in their natural wild environment.Where they are on the verge of being classified 'endangered'
Where some people still think of hedgehogs as vermin,Where some people think
it ok to deliberately run them over with their cars and where some drunken yobs
think it ok to play late night games of football with them and drop them off motorway bridges and where too many misinformed householders think it ok to leave bread and milk out for them all summer and then wonder why the 'hedgehog in their garden'does not come out of hibernation.Nice place for hedgys eh?

Hmm talking about misinformation,I must go back to that site you said to correct them over their use of the term 'English cousins' when referring to the British hedgehog.

Nice Hedgys btw

Originally Posted by Renovia;

furryferals, I hope that you can try to have a gentler tone next time you post.
it's always really difficult to just 'know' what tone a person is trying to speak in when we're typing.
Hmm yes,it is difficult,almost impossible if you can't hear their voice.
maybe if I used more of these

But I wouldn't want people getting the wrong Idea.....
(no sarcasm intended)