Anybody Else Dealt With Tenosynovitis?

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My doctor has told me it's a cousin to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. But apparently, it's an inflammation in the lining of the tendons that attach your thumb to your wrist.

My job is such that I use this hand constantly all day with a mouse, a stapler, grabbing small plastic totes, and opening pill bottles. Sometimes as much as 12 hours a day of this.

This is my second flare-up in the last 3-4 months. I understand surgery comes somewhere down the line, but I was curious if anyone else here has dealt with this before. If so, have you had the surgery, or what steps did you go through before getting to the point of surgery? For my first flare-up, I was given the immobilization splint and a course of steroids, which helped. However, the splint is so restrictive that I find it very difficult to work at all with it on (i.e. I have to remove it when I have to write, which is often).

The surgery sounds so simple and easy that I am tempted to ask for a referral to a surgeon without having to try all the other "steps" first. Also, I have met my health insurance deductible for the year, so surgery would be cheaper this year than it would be if I were to wait another 6 months, etc.

Can anybody offer any personal experiences here?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've not had this exact issue, but I do get pain and inflammation from my thumbs partially dislocating (I have hyper-mobile joints, so they slip in and out a fair bit). I got this support - Neo G Airflow Wrist Support. It makes a big difference to my pain, but is flexible enough to still give me use of my hands. It might be worth a try, especially if you don't want to jump straight into surgery.

Having said that, I might be tempted to at least get a surgery referral. The consultant can then talk through all the options with you, likely in more detail than your regular doctor can. I'm pretty hesitant about surgery myself, but I'm all for referrals, which give you the information you need to make a truly informed decision. Hope that helps a little :crossfingers::vibes: