Any veterans here?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a veteran but looking out for one, my neighbor, helping him fix up his house, donating firewood, and just generally making sure he’s AOK. He’s tough & self reliant, as most vets seem to be, but likes a visit, and help w/ driving as his eyesight’s none too good. Sometimes I think he’s too stubborn for his own good, but not my call, and I accept that It’s part of the friendship.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a vet, but my father was Air Force and grandfather in both World Wars. Also had ancestors in the Seminole Wars, but I don't think it counts since they were on the Seminole side.
HUGE respect and sincere thanks to any who ever served in any of our militaries.
Also respect for any first responders or police.
(I think Memorial Day should include them)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Four years- 1967 to 1971; Hospital Corps, USN.
As an addendum, both Michele and I lost uncles in WW II. Her mother's brother was killed when a kamikaze hit his ship, the USS Belleau Wood, while one of my father's brothers was killed near the end of the war, but on which ship I never was able to find out, so Memorial Day carries a special meaning for us.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't come from a family with a long military tradition. My grandfather was gassed in WW1. He had health issues the rest of his life and died in his early 60's. I barely remember him, just a few little flashes of memory with no context. My grandmother outlived him by 30 years.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Four years- 1967 to 1971; Hospital Corps, USN.
As an addendum, both Michele and I lost uncles in WW II. Her mother's brother was killed when a kamikaze hit his ship, the USS Belleau Wood, while one of my father's brothers was killed near the end of the war, but on which ship I never was able to find out, so Memorial Day carries a special meaning for us.
which countries did you serve in?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't come from a family with a long military tradition. My grandfather was gassed in WW1. He had health issues the rest of his life and died in his early 60's. I barely remember him, just a few little flashes of memory with no context. My grandmother outlived him by 30 years.
Well, if I were to fire up the Wayback machine, my 3x great grandfather joined the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War; my 3x great uncle fought in the War of 1812; my great grandfather fought for the Union in the Civil War, and my father, while rejected for service for being too old and having a heart murmur, had 3 younger brothers serve in WW II, while both of my brothers served- the elder USN 1958 to 1962, and the younger US Marines 1973 to 1977.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I served in the USNR as a Hospital Corpsman '73-'76. Only duty station was Naval Hospital Annapolis,Maryland. '76-'94 in the USCG as a Storekeeper. Duty stations in Omaha,NE , Petaluma,Ca, Sitka,Ak, Washington DC, Topeka,Ks, Marcus Island, Japan, Clearwater, FL and Naples,Italy. My Father and 2 uncles served in WWII.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was attached to oceanographic survey ships, USNS Harkness and USNS Chauvenet , We visited the following areas, Panama I camped on an island off the Colon side. Also visited the Philippines, Australia, Singapore and Kenya. Saw Japan in transfer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was attached to oceanographic survey ships, USNS Harkness and USNS Chauvenet , We visited the following areas, Panama I camped on an island off the Colon side. Also visited the Philippines, Australia, Singapore and Kenya. Saw Japan in transfer.
They say join the Navy and see the world. At least when I was in about the only place for most of the people in Army to go to in that part of the world was the south side of the DMZ in Korea. That was the height of the Cold War so most people in the Army went to Europe, usually West Germany. Alaska and Hawaii were classified as an overseas tour unless someone was from either state. If someone was from one of those states then it didn't count as an overseas tour.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They say join the Navy and see the world. At least when I was in about the only place for most of the people in Army to go to in that part of the world was the south side of the DMZ in Korea. That was the height of the Cold War so most people in the Army went to Europe, usually West Germany. Alaska and Hawaii were classified as an overseas tour unless someone was from either state. If someone was from one of those states then it didn't count as an overseas tour.
Did you get separation pay for being stationed in AK or HI? If our address started with FPO, for Fleet Post Office, we got an extra $25 per month 'sea pay'. As an E3 making less than $150 a month in '68, that was a nice bump up.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There wasn't separation pay. People stationed overseas got a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA), more if they were legally living on the economy. For people in a country with another currency the COLA changed each month depending on how strong the dollar was. I think people stationed close to the DMZ in South Korea got a hardship pay. That tour was only a year, always unaccompanied. People with families got priority placement for family housing when they came back to the States.

The thing with overseas tours people always came back to the States after the tour and were guaranteed at least 12 months stateside before going overseas again. If someone was from Hawaii they could go somewhere overseas after their tour because for them that wasn't an overseas tour.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my grandfather was KINd of a vet— he was trained to be part of the equestrian military in WW1 but wasn’t very good. They switched him over to naval, but just as his boat was leaving he fell through an open hole in the boat and broke both legs! Spent the rest of his time hallucinating on painkillers and flirting with the nurse!