Any tips when I'm away from home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying Handsome Kitty! 

I see you have a large turbo tracks! My cat would prefer it if it has interchanges like yours... I'll try to get one with cross roads.

As for the wand teasers, it may be the way my friend moves it then... at least my cat didn't run away or look especially scared when he used the teaser. I think he looked nonchalant.

I'll keep looking for a good basket too! 
 I'm already busy preparing for my busy weeks, but this is fun 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF you look at the link, the turbo tracks has 4 or more options for setting it up.  I just happened to find a 2nd one on clarence at home goods.  My 19yo put them together.  He rearranges them for fun.

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

IF you look at the link, the turbo tracks has 4 or more options for setting it up.  I just happened to find a 2nd one on clarence at home goods.  My 19yo put them together.  He rearranges them for fun.
Thank you for the reply Handsome Kitty! 

I'm not sure which link you mean... you mean your photo or the URL Winchester shared? I think I'll have a good time building up the whole highway too! 
 Hope my cat enjoys as much!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the reply Handsome Kitty! 

I'm not sure which link you mean... you mean your photo or the URL Winchester shared? I think I'll have a good time building up the whole highway too! 
 Hope my cat enjoys as much!
I was referring to Winchester, but I just looked and it didn't show the configurations.  Here is a link to Amazon that does. 

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I was referring to Winchester, but I just looked and it didn't show the configurations.  Here is a link to Amazon that does. 
Thanks for the link Handsome Kitty! 

I'm planning on ordering the Turbo Track online along with other toys and supplies. With a few sets we can make a decent highway, but I should start small in case our room doesn't fit in this large toy!

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of these are suggested by others already, but I do want to elaborate:

1) Feliway is worth a try. Just keep it plugged in.

2) Grab an old shirt you don't wear anymore. Work out in it, do yard work, sweat in it. Make this shirt your "sweat" shirt. The nastier the better. This shirt is now saturated with your scent. Don't wash it. Rub this shirt over his body before you go out. You can also do this periodically when you're at home (once every day would be just fine). Put this shirt near where he likes to hang out, or his sleeping bed if he has one. 

You are trying to mingle your scent with his, which is what he misses the most when you aren't around. Cats with SA needs to feel reassured, and your sweaty shirt helps him do that. 

3) You can also train him to expect you to come home. You can make this a routine. Dress up and pretend that you're leaving. Do the usual stuff you do before you leave; take your purse, put on shoes, nice clothes and on your way out the door, just talk to him. Don't make a huge deal or fuss over it. Something as simple as "I'm heading out, be a good boy, kay?" would work. Head outside and close the door.

Now wait 5 minutes. Come back inside, and reverse everything you just did. Again, don't make a big fuss over it. Do this for a few days; once a day or once every other day is fine. Gradually increase time outside to 7 minutes, then 10 minutes, up to, say, 30 minutes. You want him to get used to the fact that you will always come home.

4) Recording your voice is a good idea. If you like, you can also invest in an answering machine and call home and talk to him.

5) Leave some soft classical music on the radio when you're not around (or even when you're sleeping). This works in conjunction with Feliway so that he doesn't feel so stressed.

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1) Feliway is worth a try. Just keep it plugged in.
Yes, I want to see what happens when we use Feliway before I'm really busy. My concern is... I did a little research and some people claim to have experienced burning smell from it. Maybe I should use Feliway diffuser while I'm home to leave the effect, then turn it off while I'm out?
2) Grab an old shirt you don't wear anymore. Work out in it, do yard work, sweat in it. Make this shirt your "sweat" shirt. The nastier the better. This shirt is now saturated with your scent. Don't wash it. Rub this shirt over his body before you go out. You can also do this periodically when you're at home (once every day would be just fine). Put this shirt near where he likes to hang out, or his sleeping bed if he has one. 

You are trying to mingle your scent with his, which is what he misses the most when you aren't around. Cats with SA needs to feel reassured, and your sweaty shirt helps him do that. 
Thanks for the advice! I'll put my clothes on the cat tree, where he usually sleeps. My cat never uses his bed. This is easy and effective, though my friend might wonder if I've gone crazy on seeing the nasty shirt! 

Good thing it's much easier to sweat in this season. It takes forever for me to sweat in winter...
3) You can also train him to expect you to come home. You can make this a routine. Dress up and pretend that you're leaving. Do the usual stuff you do before you leave; take your purse, put on shoes, nice clothes and on your way out the door, just talk to him. Don't make a huge deal or fuss over it. Something as simple as "I'm heading out, be a good boy, kay?" would work. Head outside and close the door.

Now wait 5 minutes. Come back inside, and reverse everything you just did. Again, don't make a big fuss over it. Do this for a few days; once a day or once every other day is fine. Gradually increase time outside to 7 minutes, then 10 minutes, up to, say, 30 minutes. You want him to get used to the fact that you will always come home.
Regular practice will be useful for both of us. I'll have many short walks then! 

Usually my cat doesn't look frantic when I leave, but often hides somewhere like behind the curtains and just curls up. It's as if he is afraid someone might invade his territory while I'm away.
4) Recording your voice is a good idea. If you like, you can also invest in an answering machine and call home and talk to him.
5) Leave some soft classical music on the radio when you're not around (or even when you're sleeping). This works in conjunction with Feliway so that he doesn't feel so stressed.
I read classical music helps not only humans, but animals and plants. I could hardly believe how the music affects plants, but it should be soothing to animals. The music should mask scary noises from the outside too.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll prepare as much as possible before leaving home for a few days. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, I want to see what happens when we use Feliway before I'm really busy. My concern is... I did a little research and some people claim to have experienced burning smell from it. Maybe I should use Feliway diffuser while I'm home to leave the effect, then turn it off while I'm out?
I've never had mine burnt out. Those are probably defective diffusers or improper usage of electrical devices. Best effect is achieved when it's left plugged in continuously (one bottle lasts around 30 days).

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had an issue with Feliway diffusers either :) They're perfectly safe as long as they're used correctly (meaning keep an eye on the amount of liquid in the bottle ;) )

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've never had mine burnt out. Those are probably defective diffusers or improper usage of electrical devices. Best effect is achieved when it's left plugged in continuously (one bottle lasts around 30 days).
I see it wouldn't be good to unplug before I go out, when my cat needs it most! Though I'm a bit worried because I can't return home immediately if anything happens... I'll see if my cat does anything to the diffuser (bat, lick, rub against it etc.) He is often interested in something odd.

I don't think the burning incidents happen regularly either. If they do it's too big a problem not to be widely known.

And don't do stuff like plug into a socket together with 32 other devices. 
I'm sure I don't because we don't have 32 devices to be connected in our room! 

haycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never had an issue with Feliway diffusers either
They're perfectly safe as long as they're used correctly (meaning keep an eye on the amount of liquid in the bottle
)
Guess the burning issues aren't so common! I do have to make sure the bottle isn't empty though! It's so easy to forget something when I'm busy