any tips for getting one cat to let the other one onto and into the bed?

Floyd and hendrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there. hendrix here. does anyone have any tips for getting my brother floyd to quit claiming our human's bed? she has tried treats and playtime but floyd either swipes at me when its lights out or i just leave the room when telepathically told to and go to my bed in another room. when we first got adopted, we were both up on the bed but bossy pants seems to have claimed our sleeping human as his. thanks in advance. meow

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Sorry no one has responded to your post yet! The only suggestion I have to offer is to put Floyd in a carrier on the bed, give him treats, and let Hendrix come up on the bed - knowing Floyd is 'constrained' and cannot swipe at him. That's all I know to suggest. Hopefully, other members who have had something similar happen will come along soon with some other ideas!

Btw, how long ago did this change happen? And, anything else you can think of that was going on at the time that might have impacted Floyd to have a change of heart about sharing his nighttime bed with Hendrix? Look for clues, as that is likely the key to the change. Simple things that humans take for granted can affect a cat's behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Floyd and hendrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
great thanks for the tips. yeah the carrier might be worth a try and he will hate it so much he will get the message. he also likes to jump up my back and hang out up in the wardrobe, so i could encourage that more.
yeah the only reason i can put down to the change is that they are only 5 months into being adopted and settling in to their new home and sorting out their turf zones. hendrix has cptsd and can be bullied sometimes but i have seen him asserting himself in some funny ways.
yeah, he might be quite happy sleeping in 'his' room and on 'his' bed and my human projections could think that he wants to be there on the bed more than he does ha ha meow

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cats.

We have a similar problem. When we first got them, they shared the bed.

But as they became more comfortable in the house, one slowly became the boss.

Arnold will absolutely not let greg on the bed if im on it. In fact arnold becomes quite agitated if greg even comes into the bedroom if im there.

It may be that floyd is claiming you as his property in the bedroom, as im guessing he sleeps with you.

Ive tried to put greg on the bed when Arnold is in the bedroom, but greg becomes upset, starts to growl and runs away. Hendrix may feel the same way.

I can say the longer it goes on, the harder it will be to fix.