Any thoughts what colours Skye's kittens will be?

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My baby is due her own babies any day now and the wait is driving me to distraction. To pass the time, does anyone want to guess at what her litter might look like?

Mum is Skye, my unusual little Scottish fold. I think she is a cream/blue with medium length ticked fur and golden eyes with a green ring around the pupil. Her mother was a golden ticked Scottish fold with very, very green eyes and her father a blue British Shorthair. According to her mothers paperwork she comes from a long line of grand international champions.

Dad is this handsome, seal pointed, bicolour fellow. 

Any guesses?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma seems to me to be a diluted tortie, with some white.  Dear dad carries white too, and black.

The girls will tend to be torties, diluted or not.  Boys will tend to be black / grey with white.  That is what I think.

If momma happens to be a point carrier, there may also be one or two points.   If she isnt no carrier, there will not be any pointed kittens.  Although half of the kittens will be carriers.

Scottish folds and straights arent renown to be points.  But not brits either.  And here we do have a pedigreed british gentleman, whom is a point, bicolor at that.

And as he is used in the breeding of  Scots, NOW there will be the point gene in this gene pool.   If there wasnt any before, now will be.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Skye looks like a blue ticked tabby to me, not a tortie -- a lot of blue tabbies have cream undercoats, and that's what I am interpreting her as, at least. So black base, dilute gene, agouti, ticked tabby.

Father you said is a seal point bicolor, so black base, white spot gene, no agouti, so unknown on tabby that I can see, points.

Both cats have a black base, so all kittens will be black-based kittens. That one is easy.

Skye has the dilute gene and the father doesn't, so some kittens will have the black diluted to blue -- so some black kittens could be blue.

Tabby -- I'm shaky on tabby genetics, but I think there are two genes that control this? One is the agouti, which controls whether or not they have a tabby pattern. The second one, the T, controls what type of tabby. From Skye, we can guess that she is Aa since one parents was a ticked tabby and the other was not a tabby. Dad would be aa since he is not a tabby, so some of the kittens could have tabby markings, and some might be solid.

If the kittens are tabby, they have a chance of being a ticked tabby like Skye, but they do have a chance for being other tabby patterns. The father could be carrying tabby patterns different from Skye, and since I think ticked is the most dominant type, Skye could be carrying other types as well.

Father has white spotting, not sure if SS or Ss. If Ss, some might have white, some might not be white. If SS, all will have some white.

I am really, really iffy on colorpoint genetics, but I don't think any of the kittens will be pointed. The colorpoint gene is recessive, so the kittens may carry the colorpoint gene, but won't be colorpoint themselves -- only way is if Skye is a colorpoint carrier, which is probably unlikely.

So my guesses are black and blue kittens, some tabby (and possibly ticked tabby), some solid, and some with white. Blue tabbies could have a cream or lighter blue/whitish undercoat, black tabbies will have brownish undercoat.

I suck at eye color genetics, especially when eye color is tied to colorpoint, like with the Dad, so can't help you there! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, this was all so interesting! I do think Skye is a blue ticked tabby; she looks like the google image results for that at least. According to Skye's paperwork she does have at least one distant relation who was a colour point - her great, great grandmother I think, but I have no idea if that means anything. I'll be sure to post pictures with the results if Skye ever gets around to having them, haha.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lots of photos!

Well I ended up with a rainbow litter of five! So proud of Skye. Any pointers on what coat colours I have would be a great help so that I can properly describe them to potential owners. I know I want to keep one but I don't know how to decide!

Kitten number one is identical to Skye so far, so I'm calling her a blue ticked tabby. I haven't managed to get a good shot of her yet; she's the one in the middle of the bottom row of this photo. The blue of her coat is mixed with a creamy undercoat which is softer than the white of the other two blue-based kittens -

On the top row of that photo are my two blue and whites. The one on the left has a tabby marked face (which is more cream than white) like her mum while the one on the right has a strong white blaze like her dad. Closer photos of the one with the blaze - 

This is the tabby-face from the side, in-between her mum's front paws.

And here is another shot from above. The one with the blaze has less white all over, while the tabby face has a little splodge of white on her back which is what I'm using to identify them from behind, haha. Both of them have stripes on their grey patches. They may also have ticked fur?

My other two were a surprise. I have a black boy and a golden and black boy. Obviously the black one is easy to identify. He has very shiny silky fur, but in one of the photos I caught of him he seems to have faint stripes on his legs. The photo I have is blurred but you can see some colour difference just on the upper part of his leg.

And then we have the little chipmunk who is actually the biggest of the bunch so far. His fur is gold and black with strong markings on his face. You can see him in some of the group shots but here's some more pics.

(You can see in this photo the slight difference in the blue colour between the two on the left and the blue ticked tabby in the middle)

We think he might be a throwback to Skye's mother, who looked like this:

So, any thoughts on what they are and how they might develop? :) And for fun, which one would you keep?? I'm fielding lots of offers from people looking to give these babies a home and will probably need to decide soon which of the four will be staying with me. I'm tempted to keep them all to be honest, haha.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if any of them will have folded ears too?? I'm in love with Skye. She's such a teddy bear looking thing.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We won't know until they're about 3 weeks which are folds. Skye is such a floomf, we love her so much. 

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Skye looks like a blue ticked tabby to me, not a tortie -- a lot of blue tabbies have cream undercoats, and that's what I am interpreting her as, at least. So black base, dilute gene, agouti, ticked tabby.

Father you said is a seal point bicolor, so black base, white spot gene, no agouti, so unknown on tabby that I can see, points.

Both cats have a black base, so all kittens will be black-based kittens. That one is easy.

Skye has the dilute gene and the father doesn't, so some kittens will have the black diluted to blue -- so some black kittens could be blue.

Tabby -- I'm shaky on tabby genetics, but I think there are two genes that control this? One is the agouti, which controls whether or not they have a tabby pattern. The second one, the T, controls what type of tabby. From Skye, we can guess that she is Aa since one parents was a ticked tabby and the other was not a tabby. Dad would be aa since he is not a tabby, so some of the kittens could have tabby markings, and some might be solid.

If the kittens are tabby, they have a chance of being a ticked tabby like Skye, but they do have a chance for being other tabby patterns. The father could be carrying tabby patterns different from Skye, and since I think ticked is the most dominant type, Skye could be carrying other types as well.

Father has white spotting, not sure if SS or Ss. If Ss, some might have white, some might not be white. If SS, all will have some white.

I am really, really iffy on colorpoint genetics, but I don't think any of the kittens will be pointed. The colorpoint gene is recessive, so the kittens may carry the colorpoint gene, but won't be colorpoint themselves -- only way is if Skye is a colorpoint carrier, which is probably unlikely.

So my guesses are black and blue kittens, some tabby (and possibly ticked tabby), some solid, and some with white. Blue tabbies could have a cream or lighter blue/whitish undercoat, black tabbies will have brownish undercoat.

I suck at eye color genetics, especially when eye color is tied to colorpoint, like with the Dad, so can't help you there! :)
I think you got quite a lot of correct guesses!