Any Thoughts (my Former And Current)?

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, all. Recently, I began to think about my cats, and wonder about their lineage. Mostly, this is for my own amusement, but part of me also wonders if knowing more about my current kitty's background could help me to provide her with better healthcare, etc (I know in dogs, for instance, different breeds have very different expectations with health, disease, etc). Both of my cats have been rescues, and are undoubtedly mixed breeds, but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts that could lead to a more accurate guess than the seemingly generic Domestic Long Hair and Domestic Short Hair distinctions they came with.

This is Denver, my former cat. I lost him a month ago after 13 years together. If he was 2, as I was told, when he came to me, he lived to be 15. He was never formally diagnosed with anything, but my vet believed that he had cancer. In his prime, he was 12 lbs, and although he had long hair and a big bushy tail, I always wondered if only one of his parents were long haired. He was sweet, and a very friendly, social cat. He didn't like to be picked up, but loved to sit on laps when it was his idea, which it was more often than not. I've considered both Main Coon and Long Haired Tabby (although I'm not sure the latter is much more accurate than DLH).

Next is Patches, my current little girl. She came to me a week after losing Denver, so she's new. I'm still learning her ways, behaviors, etc. She's a year and a half old, and she was described as a Domestic Short Hair Tortoiseshell. She's smaller than Denver at 8 lbs and a considerably smaller frame. Her head is smaller and her face is less (full) than Denver's was. Her coat is beautiful, and very soft. So soft that anyone who's met her has mentioned it. Her tail is long and quite thin. So far, she's less cuddly than Denver was, but she loves attention, and she follows me all around. She's much more vocal than I remember Denver ever being, and certainly more so than he was in recent years.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Others will advise better than I but in the meantime, I'd say Denver, with his chunky muzzle, had Maine Coon influence but 12lbs is a bit on the light side for a male MC. Some say the average is 13 to 18lbs so he wasn't far off. Tabby refers to the markings and is not a breed. RIP sweet Denver.
I can't help with Patches but she's lovely.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful Denver. He really was a handsome boy, and I can tell, even from the pictures, that he was very sweet. :rbheart:

I agree with Mightyboosh’s assessment that he might have had some Maine Coon in him. I think that that is his closest lookalike, anyway. He has a nice broad muzzle, and such thick fur. I wish I could have cuddled him. He was so lucky to have you throughout his life. :hugs: :angel:

Patches is a pretty girl! Her description would be tortie. For breed; I would say Domestic Shorthair, but maybe another poster can see something else that I can’t quite put my finger on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! Is it likely that one of Denver's parents were Maine Coon, or more just that it was somewhere distant in his lineage, and he was a very typical mixed breed house cat who's closest look alike was MC (not that he wasn't gorgeous regardress!)? He was sweet and cuddly!

If we call Patches a Domestic Short Hair, is that actually a breed, though? Or is that a fancy way to say she's a mixed breed house cat?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In terms of using the title "Domestic Shorthair" - it doesn't mean mixed breed, ie. a mix of 2 different breeds of cat. It means a natural cat.

Cats haven't been selectively bred into different breeds for very long, it's not like dogs where some breeds originated a couple of thousand years ago or more - so a lot of cats are just natural cats - and that is wonderful :)

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! In reality, it doesn't matter. I love my cat the same no matter what. But, I do find it interesting to learn more about the cats I've kept. I'm definitely more familiar with dog breeds than cat breeds, and I certainly think breeds differ more in dogs than in cats. But, recently I've become interested in trying to learn more about the particular cats I've kept, especially if it may help with health care down the road.

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, does anyone think Patches has any Rex in her? I believe I read that Rex breeds can have the Tortie pattern, and her coat seems to be very short, plus her tail is very thin. I know her ears aren't big enough for a Rex, but I also know she's not purebred.