Any suggestions? FIC - interstitial cystitis

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Annabelle, who will be 7 yrs in April, is a tortie rescue. We adopted her along with 2 other torties in Sept of 2016 from a local shelter. All 3 had a lot of issues, but after 3 month, we managed to get them all in good health and healthy they remained since. Last Nov Anna was treated for a UTI with Convenia. This seemed to solve her problem, but then Dec 17th, the constant box use (with little to no urinating) returned. I brought her back to doctor & after testing which included guided cystocentesis, lab analysis, urine culture, MIC, and ultrasound to look for blockage, the diagnosis was Feline cystitis (FIC). The lab tests and ultrasound did not reveal any abnormalities at all. The was again treated with Convenia and the problem appeared to be solved. Another month has passed (dec 17 - jan 19) and as of noon today the problem reappeared. She runs to the box every 5 minutes thinking she has to urinate, however only a few drops come out. Has anyone else experienced this? Nothing has changed in the house. The girls get along great, all are indoors and in otherwise good health. We have a quiet non stress home, retired with no children (except the tortie girls who are everything to us!)
Food has not been changed. They get a good quality kibble and split a small can of wet food per day. Very routine. There is always fresh water (filtered...never from the tap). The litter box is changed regularly (2 to 3 days) and contains plenty of litter (non-clumping, low dust clay)...I should add that it is scooped after each stinky use. The 2nd bathroom is theirs (yes, privacy!) and it is easy for us to manage/maintain. The cats have run of the house, plenty of toys, and as I said they get along great until this problem emerges. It seems her sister, Isobel, can smell the difference in her urine (perhaps it gets stronger smelling) and strangely gives her a hard time...as if we brought a new cat into the house.
Any ideas? Could this be something else, perhaps overlooked? I insisted on the ultrasound after the "UTI" returned in December because I feared a blockage or worse yet TCC (we lost a tortie to this awful cancer 12 years ago, which was initially treated as a UTI).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is the 3rd month of re-occurance. I am waiting on a call from the vet about giving her another dose of Convenia if they will do that for her.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So when they did a urine culture they didn't find any bacteria but they gave an antibiotic (Convenia) anyway? FIC is normally inflammation of the bladder, and as far as my reading tells me, the cats are often given pain meds and an anti-spasmotic and/or anti-inflammatories to get through the episode. Did they do that?

Here is an article on FIC for you to read up on: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

BTW, just as an FYI, one of my cats had a UTI awhile ago, and the first antibiotic he was put on didn't even begin to touch it. He was on it for 14 days, then was tested again to see if it was gone. Nope. So we had a culture run and there were only two antibiotics out there that would erradicate this particular bacteria. We put him on another 14 course of one of them and voila. All gone.

As for her stress factor, it could be anything, literally. Another cat who is roaming around outside for instance. A school bus that stops somewhere on your street. We have these issues and one of ours goes nuts. I'm kind of surprised he doesn't have FIC, honestly. Maybe he doesn't because he is on strictly wet food with extra filtered water added :dunno: ? Who knows. All I know is that I monitor his output like a hawk. And the fact that one of your other cats picks on her during an episode isn't unusual either. Cats know when other cats are "vulnerable".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this info. I am going to bring this up when I get her in to see the vet. Yes they did give her 5 days of a anti inflammatory/pain med, but it was not on my receipts so I could not say what it was. began with an "m". That was in December's visit. it helped her by the next day. Her appointment is not until first thing Monday, the earliest they could see her. Sadly I am having a tough time being pleased with any vet. Just lacking confidence in them.They say it is trial and error, but I don't by it. Sometimes we feel like an ATM. Thank you again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps, you can ask the vet for more of the anti-inflammatory meds until you are able to get Annabelle to the vets on Monday? Cystitis, if that is in fact what she has, is very tricky to treat. So often it is deemed idiopathic - as you will see when you read the link above - and when so, it takes a long time to test/experiment on how to treat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isobel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is the 3rd month. It reappears every 30 days right now. She is such a sweetheart too, I feel so bad for her. Wishing they would take her sooner, surely at least a med until they see her to get her feeling better. She is back to the box every 15 minutes. bloody urine, just drops. :-(
I read the helpful info on the FIC. Appears we are going to have to be patient with getting her stabilized. There were no crystals or bacteria (minute trace, but nothing grew at the lab) in the urinalysis. The ultrasound did not show any blockages or growths which was my big concern.