Any Recommendation Of Medication For Liver Problems?

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat is diagnosed with liver inflammation or fatty liver with diabetes recently.
He is not taking the Zentonil (tablet) and RxVitamin Hepato (capsule and liquid).

I have tried many ways to mask using pill masker, pill popper, mix with food and also covering with his favourite treats. As my cat is senior, 10 years old, he usually chew a little of his food before swallowing and when he taste the bitterness, he starts to salivates badly. Now, he is quite scared of seeing/smelling medicine or syringe.

Is there any recommendation of better tasting or easier way to medicate him so he is not so stress. I do not wish to make him so stress that he cannot even eat his normal food.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm not sure how you're going about it, but you can't just cover a pill with food and let them lap it up. Dogs are very good at swallowing things that way, but for some reason cats aren't. You have to work on your own pilling technique.
  • For me, I set them on a counter where they can't back away, brace/cradle the back of their head & neck with one hand.
  • Then, using a free finger of the hand that I'm holding the pill in, I wriggle the side of their mouth to get them to crack it open.
  • As soon as they crack their mouth, I pop the pill in as far back as I possibly can, super quick.
  • Close the chin quickly (and gently, not too tight) and rub the neck to get them to swallow. It usually takes just a few seconds.
  • Once they swallow, I offer a small, moist treat and set them down at the water dish.
This is a skill that you will need when you have aging animals that need medication. It's worth putting the effort into developing a technique for the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm not sure how you're going about it, but you can't just cover a pill with food and let them lap it up. Dogs are very good at swallowing things that way, but for some reason cats aren't. You have to work on your own pilling technique.
  • For me, I set them on a counter where they can't back away, brace/cradle the back of their head & neck with one hand.
  • Then, using a free finger of the hand that I'm holding the pill in, I wriggle the side of their mouth to get them to crack it open.
  • As soon as they crack their mouth, I pop the pill in as far back as I possibly can, super quick.
  • Close the chin quickly (and gently, not too tight) and rub the neck to get them to swallow. It usually takes just a few seconds.
  • Once they swallow, I offer a small, moist treat and set them down at the water dish.
This is a skill that you will need when you have aging animals that need medication. It's worth putting the effort into developing a technique for the long run.
Thanks furmonster mom furmonster mom for the detailed steps.
It could be me who is butter-fingers when pilling him and also him being a spoiled child at home throwing an angry fit when he sense medication is coming.

I have been trying to soothe, coax and lower any elements of fear for the medication by waiting till he is comfortable. Currently, he is given fluids twice daily and insulin injections. Some times he got wary when we are "taking things out", thinking we trying to jab him or give him more horrible medicine.

I supposed I will try daily on your suggested technique and see if it helps to reduce his stress on taking the medicine.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes practice and patience...
We've had several elderly cats over the years and while my dear Hubby did eventually develop the skill, he was quite the fumble fingers for a good while.

Though, to be fair, I've actually been pilling cats since I was a teenager. Back then, I'd kneel on the floor with my knees out in a V, tuck the cat with it's back to me between my knees, lean over them and do the crack mouth/pop pill. I was good at it, but it was a little awkward. When I figured a way to do it on the counter, so I could actually look into the mouth, it went much smoother.

Another technique that is a favorite for a lot of people is the "burrito wrap". You can usually find examples of that on YouTube. I was never very successful with it; as soon as the cat saw the towel, they'd run! So I developed my own way to do it as quickly as possible.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It takes practice and patience...
We've had several elderly cats over the years and while my dear Hubby did eventually develop the skill, he was quite the fumble fingers for a good while.

Though, to be fair, I've actually been pilling cats since I was a teenager. Back then, I'd kneel on the floor with my knees out in a V, tuck the cat with it's back to me between my knees, lean over them and do the crack mouth/pop pill. I was good at it, but it was a little awkward. When I figured a way to do it on the counter, so I could actually look into the mouth, it went much smoother.

Another technique that is a favorite for a lot of people is the "burrito wrap". You can usually find examples of that on YouTube. I was never very successful with it; as soon as the cat saw the towel, they'd run! So I developed my own way to do it as quickly as possible.
furmonster mom furmonster mom , i hope i can develop this skill soon. My cat will wriggle in and out and spit out the pill, then whines very loud in distress. I have tried a burrito wrap and second person holding him.

His liver medicine for Zentonil is big, so we got to break into 2 and plus his liver tonic makes 3 pills to deliver daily. When we manage to get one in, he struggles a lot for the next 2, but that is we even get one in.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks furmonster mom furmonster mom for the detailed steps.
It could be me who is butter-fingers when pilling him and also him being a spoiled child at home throwing an angry fit when he sense medication is coming.

I have been trying to soothe, coax and lower any elements of fear for the medication by waiting till he is comfortable. Currently, he is given fluids twice daily and insulin injections. Some times he got wary when we are "taking things out", thinking we trying to jab him or give him more horrible medicine.

I supposed I will try daily on your suggested technique and see if it helps to reduce his stress on taking the medicine.
Are you around during the day?
I wonder if randomly "taking things out" and doing nothing would help him relax a bit.
For awhile, syringe medicating one of our cats was a dreaded nightmare. I still hate being the "bad guy" but anymore it's a normal routine, he got used to it. He doesn't love it but doesn't fight anymore.
Is your cat a foodie? We medicate before giving food and use food as a reward. Our cat with daily meds gets them first thing in the morning, and knows when we bring out the meds and syringe it's a sign that food will be here ASAP....but I know with insulin sometimes WITH food is best and if for whatever random reason they don't eat and have been given insulin, that can be a huge problem.
You said he was diagnosed recently. He probably isn't feeling his best to begin with and this new routine is probably upsetting him (and you!!)
Keep your wits about you, keep your head, and go about this with a loving "I know you don't love this but it's for your own good" and remain cheerful and calm...if possible! =)
Once he's feeling better, he may be more OK with this. Cats that don't feel well usually aren't the most cooperative. And by the time this happens, this medication thing might be considered be old news and a part of life that he's OK dealing with, hopefully!

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your cat is experienciing health issues regarding his liver and you're having difficulty medicating him. Here is an Article which may be helpful:
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills

Best of luck, please keep us updated. Sending special thoughts your way. :vibes:
Hi neely neely , thanks very much for the link, i will give those which i have not try before a go.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you around during the day?
I wonder if randomly "taking things out" and doing nothing would help him relax a bit.
For awhile, syringe medicating one of our cats was a dreaded nightmare. I still hate being the "bad guy" but anymore it's a normal routine, he got used to it. He doesn't love it but doesn't fight anymore.
Is your cat a foodie? We medicate before giving food and use food as a reward. Our cat with daily meds gets them first thing in the morning, and knows when we bring out the meds and syringe it's a sign that food will be here ASAP....but I know with insulin sometimes WITH food is best and if for whatever random reason they don't eat and have been given insulin, that can be a huge problem.
You said he was diagnosed recently. He probably isn't feeling his best to begin with and this new routine is probably upsetting him (and you!!)
Keep your wits about you, keep your head, and go about this with a loving "I know you don't love this but it's for your own good" and remain cheerful and calm...if possible! =)
Once he's feeling better, he may be more OK with this. Cats that don't feel well usually aren't the most cooperative. And by the time this happens, this medication thing might be considered be old news and a part of life that he's OK dealing with, hopefully!
Thanks 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 , yes, the diabetes diagnosis was done in end of June and later the vet found issues with pancreatitis and liver inflammation but recent ultrasound shows fatty liver, they suspect could have been there since day 1.

When it first started that i cannot give the pill, i was pretty stress that i couldn't help him if medication is what he needed most and fear of stressing him more that affect his appetite. Now, after going through a few weeks, i try every now and then something to give him the medicine. But if he struggles too much, i will leave him, not wanting to create further issues in his health.

If there is a more stress-free method or alternatives, i will like to try and hopefully he realise the medicine is good for him.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back then, I'd kneel on the floor with my knees out in a V, tuck the cat with it's back to me between my knees, lean over them and do the crack mouth/pop pill.
LOL, that's how I used to do it before I had two hip replacements. Not so limber these days. I use "cat on the counter" method now :)

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear all,
Pilling him with all methods did not manage with much success.
he can even detect the med in the pill pockets.

Vet prescribed Ornipural injections which can be given under the skin.
So at least some medication is given other than the fluids.

We are going back on Monday to review.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats can find the pill in pill pockets. I use pill pockets just to coat the tablet so they don't taste the nasty ones. Have you tried a pill gun? I find I need it less and less as I get better at giving pills, but it can still be useful at times. In the end, you have to have faith that you'll be successful and you have to keep trying. Not getting the meds is not an option, is the attitude you have to project to the cat. :)

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats can find the pill in pill pockets. I use pill pockets just to coat the tablet so they don't taste the nasty ones. Have you tried a pill gun? I find I need it less and less as I get better at giving pills, but it can still be useful at times. In the end, you have to have faith that you'll be successful and you have to keep trying. Not getting the meds is not an option, is the attitude you have to project to the cat. :)
Yes i have tried pill gun or with 2 person and kitty burrito. My cat will scream very loudly and wiggle back and forth to get his way out.

He also split the pill out and then because of the taste, start to salivate a lot. His pupil dilates a lot like in great fear. thus still seeking a way to give him the med. I have been told these liver med i am giving is esp bad in taste and smell. Thus it is difficult if my cat is traumatised by it.

Yes, i am still trying ways...like cream cheese and pill pockets with smaller cut up pill.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To avoid the taste issue, the salivating, I put all pills in a capsule. I administer with a pill gun.

I use a #3 Chicken flavored capsule which I buy from www.Capsuline.com. A pack of 100 costs $7.99, and they ship fast.

I preload medications...you can put one or two or even three meds in one capsule depending upon the size. Sometimes you have to cut the pill in half to fit it in, but it works well. Much less stress for you and the cat.

It's down the hatch...then follow with a treat!

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To avoid the taste issue, the salivating, I put all pills in a capsule. I administer with a pill gun.

I use a #3 Chicken flavored capsule which I buy from www.Capsuline.com. A pack of 100 costs $7.99, and they ship fast.

I preload medications...you can put one or two or even three meds in one capsule depending upon the size. Sometimes you have to cut the pill in half to fit it in, but it works well. Much less stress for you and the cat.

It's down the hatch...then follow with a treat!
Thanks B babiesmom5 i m also trying to find empty capsules and giving it this way. Thanks for the link, I am asking if they can ship to where I am in Asia.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They ship worldwide as they are the #1 supplier of capsules. Read under "shipping policy"
They ship to China, Japan, South Korea and other Asian countries listed. Meantime, you could try to locate some #3 plain gelatin capsules in your country. Maybe a pharmacy would let you buy some? Anyway, ask for a #3 capsule.

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They ship worldwide as they are the #1 supplier of capsules. Read under "shipping policy"
They ship to China, Japan, South Korea and other Asian countries listed. Meantime, you could try to locate some #3 plain gelatin capsules in your country. Maybe a pharmacy would let you buy some? Anyway, ask for a #3 capsule.
Yes, thanks I was searching for it in my country and found one place selling the size 3. Will be heading to get it. I have asked for over the counters pharmacies here and they do not have it and others only size 0 which is very big.

Yesterday, i managed to hide it in the Orijen treats which are very strong smelling and give it to him.