Any Positive Advice Please

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 17 yr old kitty vet found worms he was skinny but eating and drinking at that time. She gave me Dontrel been about 36 hours now and he is seems interested in food but won't eat a ot licks it about 20 times is drinking water and did devour his treats. Now I know he is old but I'm so upset this is my soul kitty. Any advice would be appreciated I think I just need to get him over this hump.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! 1. Try getting one of the high-calorie gel products available for cats who aren't eating well (or at all). One example is Tomlyn Nutracal for Cats and it, or something similar should be available at most pet stores. You can rub the gel in his mouth or, if that doesn't work, try rubbing it on his paws. He will naturally lick his paws and ingest the nutrients that way.

2. Try giving him KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). It works well for adult cats, in addition to kittens and is packed full of the nutrition he needs.

3. I've found that heating up a bit of ham and/or cheese and crumbling it up sometimes is so enticing to a cat that they'll eat it, especially if I feed them by hand. Heating food until it is slightly warm will release enticing aromas from it so this is worth trying with anything you are offering him.

4. I've only read about this next tip so I don't know how well it works. Place a little bit of warm tuna in his bowl right near his nose as he's sleeping. Supposedly cats will automatically go for the food when they first wake up.

5. You can also try sprinkling Bonito flakes over her food or other tempting toppers like crumbled up cheese or boiled egg.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! 1. Try getting one of the high-calorie gel products available for cats who aren't eating well (or at all). One example is Tomlyn Nutracal for Cats and it, or something similar should be available at most pet stores. You can rub the gel in his mouth or, if that doesn't work, try rubbing it on his paws. He will naturally lick his paws and ingest the nutrients that way.

2. Try giving him KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer). It works well for adult cats, in addition to kittens and is packed full of the nutrition he needs.

3. I've found that heating up a bit of ham and/or cheese and crumbling it up sometimes is so enticing to a cat that they'll eat it, especially if I feed them by hand. Heating food until it is slightly warm will release enticing aromas from it so this is worth trying with anything you are offering him.

4. I've only read about this next tip so I don't know how well it works. Place a little bit of warm tuna in his bowl right near his nose as he's sleeping. Supposedly cats will automatically go for the food when they first wake up.

5. You can also try sprinkling Bonito flakes over her food or other tempting toppers like crumbled up cheese or boiled egg.
Can I use the Whiskas brand milk?

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave him some of that nutracal he didn' really like it but I'm diligent and I will sit up all night to give him a Lil bit on my finger every hour.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck, Trysh. Sending good thoughts your way.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens do you have any thoughts for Trysh regarding Drontal, worms et al?

@MarmaladeMama I saw you had a thread going not to long ago about this product as well as another...

Trysh Trysh , have you had a chance to talk to your vet again regarding your kitty's not eating?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes it takes a few days for the worms to be fully eradicated, and this medication only kills the adults. A second dosage will be needed in a few weeks.

As to his not eating, have you tried baby food. Meat only, no onions, garlic, vegies, etc. My guys prefer ham, but it's hard to find. Also, some cats really like FortiFlora as a topper. One of mine loves it, the only hates it, so you just never know. A bonus of it is it's also a probiotic. You might be able to find it at Petco or Petsmart, but I'm certain your Vet would sell it. You can also just try DIFFERENT foods. You said he ate a bunch of treats, so obviously he's hungry. Maybe right now he just wants something different. Perhaps a different canned food? I don't know what you normally feed him, but maybe just get a few cans of something different. Most cats really like Fancy Feast, so you could try that. Or if you already feed that, maybe try a different version of it. For instance, if you feed the CLASSICS, maybe try the Medleys, or try a completely different brand or something. Plus all of Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestions are great ones

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I slept about a half hour and at one point he got up drinking water and started kicking his paw so I started putting his favorite sheba food on his paw and he was into it for a couple of seconds then tried to run and hide I have bowls all over trying every food I can possibly think of and finally I fed him with a dropper the broths and giving him that gel. He seems a teeny bit better responding when I call his name. I' not liking he wants to go hide that seems not good to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's probably not used to being handled this much?
Do you have stinky tuna and stinky kitten food? It sure sounds positive that he was up and drinking water - hang in there!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hiding is not a good sign if he is normally a social cat. Have you discussed any of this with your Vet. He could actually be having a side effect of the Drontal, or an allergic reaction to it, although I don't know HOW that manifests. Loss of appetite IS one side effect, as is vomiting, diarrhea, loss of coordination. Are you seeing anything other than loss of appetite? Did they do blood work when they discovered the worms? At age 17, thee could be other things going on as well. I would definitely give the Vet a call.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He dies have the coordination side effect but no vomiting or diarrhea and he is way more alert today she said he was in fine health just had worms he has his head up and actually looks at me now. He has never been a super social kitty just kind of a loner and he was only trying to hide after I was messing with him to eat some food. He had been going up and laying on the couch back and things until yesterday.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

My furry baby passed away today but not without my great efforts

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry to hear this. You were there for him.

Trysh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was with him until the very end I stayed strong for him because it was about him and I broke down after the fact.