Any of you old folks remember these?

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Wow Susie they look like they date from the fiftys or sixtys

Oh Yeah Susie,I remember my parents and my aunty(not a reall aunty,more like a granny really!
)collecting stamps,They were called Green Shield Stamps over here though.

You have a great memory don't you Susie

jdpesz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I remember those things. My folks used to save them. Maybe you should hang on to them, in case the Antiques Roadshow comes to your town.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember green stamps. My mom got them at grocery stores and gas stations passed them out.My grandmother had a shoe store and she passed them out at her store when I was a kid. I remember my mom waiting till she had alot of them and then would use a big sponge to wet them and stick them in the books. I also recall going to the green stamp store to redeem them. What we got that I can't remember!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not those particular ones, Sooz, and I don't now remember the name of the ones we had, but I sure do remember them! Stamps in books, oh yes, save 'em and you'll get [you name it]. Interesting how we've been through every other kind of promotion you can think of and we're back to the same deal, except now you present your card and they tot up the points, and then you choose your merchandise from the catalogue. "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose" (the more things change, the more they stay the same).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is this mystical "green stamp store" everyone's speaking of??? I want in on the fun too!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What is this mystical "green stamp store" everyone's speaking of??? I want in on the fun too!
Aww they don't do them anymore Sweet,As far as i know they stopped doing them in the '70's.
Probably before you or I were even old enough to collect them.

But I'm just talking about in the United Kingdom.I don't know about in the U.S.A

All I remember is you could get some really decent stuff with the stamps,Not the cheap crap made in China

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Aww they don't do them anymore Sweet,As far as i know they stopped doing them in the '70's.
Probably before you or I were even old enough to collect them.

But I'm just talking about in the United Kingdom.I don't know about in the U.S.A

All I remember is you could get some really decent stuff with the stamps,Not the cheap crap made in China
I was born in 85'. So i guess it was before i was born. I'm really sad i missed out
. Oh well, at least i have Dollar Tree
That place makes me extremely happy!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

Oh Yeah Susie,I remember my parents and my aunty(not a reall aunty,more like a granny really!
)collecting stamps,They were called Green Shield Stamps over here though.
Ahem, Green Shield Stamps were still available in the 80's, my dear!

My family used to collect them and my sister and I would have the job of sticking them into the little books!

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! Green shield stamps! I'm only 25 and I used to collect those too, my Dad used to bring them home for me

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

You mean they're still worth something?
I don't think the ones that you have are worth something, but if you'd like to start a new green stamp collection you can sign in there.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my parent used to collect those
There may still be a page or 2 of them around here somewhere.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
During the '70s, one could exchange a full book of Gold Bond Stamps, for $3.50 CASH. My grandfather had several full books and a bunch, to be stuck in the books. As I was young and broke, he gave them to me and I got enough money to buy a tank of gas (gas was about .50 per gallon then).

I also remember "Double Stamp Wednesdays", at Lucky Supermarkets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alot more old folks on here than I thought!