Any Luck Taming Feral Cats?

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I tamed two adult feral cats on my street and eventually adopted them into my house. They were total ferals. They were born on my street and lived in the storm drains. I didn't even try to tame them exactly, but I fed them and called to them every day, I talked to them softly, and one day after several months, Nite's curiosity overcame him and he ley me pet him. After that, he was hooked. He would meow at the door for me to come out and sit with him on the porch. Several more months and Fright Nite decided to let me pet him, as well. Fright Nite just melted after I first pet him, and spending time on the porch wasn't enough for him. He would pound on my door with all his weight and demand to come in. Long story later, they both became my most wonderful house cats for four years. And there were no feral cats on my street the whole time. My boys both died suddenly due to some congenital issues and FIV complications (September and January).

At the end of February, I had a dream that I tamed two tabby mix ferals that showed up to my porch and that I loved them and wanted them. And then, in March, the same cats I dreamed of appeared in real life out of nowhere. So I've been feeding them and talking to them every day. They are total ferals. I'm holding off on adopting kittens because I would rather give these boys homes. But I keep reading stories about people that feed feral cats for ten years and the cats never approach them.

Were my boys Nite and Fright Nite unusual cases, or has anyone else had luck domesticating feral cats? I want to do it on their terms like before. I would never bring them into my house until they want a life with humans, on other words. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I am working up to trapping them for neutering; apt with TCAP scheduled and keeping trap propped open on porch with food dish so they get used to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing these articles. These cats, like my previous boys, are definitely feral and not stray. I don't think it's a good idea to just kidnap a cat and try to force friendship. I've heard of bad results with this. With my other two, I was gentle and they warmed up to me on their own. When they moved in, they wanted it. That's what I would like for these two guys.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of my cats have been ferals. There have been a few exceptions of an abandoned pet or a stray, but the rest are/were clearly feral. My avatar was born under a house on my street to completely feral parents. There were 4 kittens in the litter; one was killed by a coyote, one is completely feral, TNRed but outside where she eats and has shelter, and the two others are in my house. Both are annoying lap cats now and I had to remove Lily from my lap, to her great upset, so that I could write this.

You seem to have an instinct for ferals given your experience with your two original boys. There seems to be a tipping point where it is clear that a feral is interested in having a human bond or not. I would continue with what you are doing. Maybe eventually offer a toy, see if they will come closer for treats or special food. Yes, it is true that some ferals never "cross over". I did feed one for 10 years on my property who hissed and swatted every time I brought her food, twice a day. Her litter ranged from a completely adoptable boy who was brought inside, a distantly curious girl, and three very feral others. The one remaining girl has been on my property for 17 years now and still runs if she sees me. I would keep working with these boy to see where this takes you, as I don't think that Fright and Fright Nite were as unusual as might be expected.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
fionasmom, I really appreciate this kind feedback. It gives me some hope!! One problem is that I don't remember how long it took to tame Nite and Fright Nite as it just organically happened. I know that it took some months for Nite and closer to a year for Fright Nite.

Here is my progress so far- the tabby with the white socks will stare at me and let me state at him, and we exchange blinky eyes when he is in my bushes. He also makes blinkies and looks pleased when I give him compliments, like talk about how pretty he is. He approached me the other day when I was opening a can of wet food, then he realized his mistake and stepped back into the bushes. I see him mostly during the day. I've never heard him meow.

The solid tabby only comes at night for the most part. He hangs out in my bushes most of the night and comes to porch to eat as he feels like it. He meows at me whenever I'm outside but doesn't approach. He meows at me not only when I talk to him, but even if I'm just refilling food. I'm not sure what the meows mean. If he is saying, please go away, I don't want you, or if he is saying, please give me more food and help me. He has the most pathetic voice that melts my heart.

The brothers don't seem to fight over resources like my previous two did before we brought them into the home. We have seen them both on the porch together only once, but they were chilling.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Blinking is a good sign of affection or trust, at least relaxation. Most ferals don't meow, so the fact that the one boy is not meowing is not really of big concern, but the fact that the other one is probably shows that he is "talking" to you. Cats only meow at people, and if he wanted you to go away he would hiss or simply run away. I had an outdoor feral adult who appeared and meowed and he definitely wanted me to give him food and help him.

Both of these seem to be on some track for consideration as pets. It can take time to sort through this, but I am not seeing the usual true feral, wild and unadoptable behavior, with either of these boys.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
fionasmom and Jcatbird, thank you so much for this feedback!! This definitely gives me some hope that I'm on the right track. These boys are beautiful, by the way, and my dog already loves them. I know she wants them inside.

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will do! The boy with white socks is eating his wet food right now. I'm giving them wet food every time I see them so they associate me with good things.