Any insurance that covers Urinary Tract Infection?

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat just recovered from UTI with crystals presented in his body. It costed 3000 dollars with the emergency vet just for catheter, so I am thinking of insuring him. However, all the insurance that I saw online do not cover such a situation which worries me since there is no way that I can afford another episode without an insurance. I have the following two questions:

1. Is there any insurance that can cover such a situation?

2. My regular vet told me only the emergency vet can treat UTI, I called several vets near me, and they confirmed this. I find this very bizarre, and there is only one emergency vet in my area so I could not even shop around to compare the price. Any chance anyone in the Chicago have experienced similar issue?

3. If there isn't insurance that can help me, what are my options financially against possible future recurrence?

Thank you very much in advance!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt it. Once a cat has a condition, it's considered an ongoing or pre-existing condition if it happens again. Even some conditions are cosidered pre-existing even if the cat never had it before, like diabetes.

Any vet can treat a urinary issue. If the issue is life threatening, like a complete blockage, then yes an emergency vet would be the best person to treat it. Most other common urinary issues can be treated by a "regular" vet. Treatment varies but may include antibiotics and increasing the water intake. Prescription food is often recommended by vets but is usually not needed at all except for maybe bladder stones. There's more info here on urinary issues and how to prevent them here: Cat Urinary Tract Diseases: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

You can set aside money to use for future vet bills. Set aside as much as you can on a schedule that works for you whether that's weekly or monthly. Set up a new bank savings account to use just for emergencies and put the money into that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might be caught in the linguistic cross hairs here and will have to do some research. Some pet insurance companies supposedly cover a preexisting condition if it does not recur for 180 days and is free of those symptoms. Orthopedic conditions are usually excluded on this. However, I would personally call the companies and talk to them about this; at least do an online chat and don't sign up based on just reading a webpage. I have ASPCA and they refused as a preexisting condition to cover my dog's Cushings disease as it clearly will never go away and 180 days has nothing to do with this condition.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trupanion probably would have covered it. But now that it has happened, it will be considered a pre-existing condition. You can look over Trupanion's fine print. Their look-back period to determine pre-existings may be limited in time scope--maybe 18 months? Look it up. You may be able to wait out the look-back. But there may be other vet visit requirements (a "recent" checkup exam within their look-back?) that would need to be satisfied so that you don't appear to be hiding your cat's condition(s).

Otherwise, or in addition to this, create your own insurance plan. Decide on your premium ($25-$50/mo would be typical depending on the age of your cat and the size of your deductible) and contribute that amount, preferably automatic deduction, each month to a separate savings account. Do not touch this account for routine expenses. Save it for the big stuff.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if you can't insure your cat for a UTI now that it has already happened, there are so many other conditions that could run up the costs and present you with a huge bill. If you can afford pet insurance (and you can't wait out the look-back period), you should sign him up anyway. If you wait for the next condition, that's another one they won't be able to cover.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From their FAQ
Trupanion Pet Insurance FAQs - Trupanion

How do you determine what will be a pre-existing condition?

A pre-existing condition is any illness, condition, or injury for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to the policy enrollment date, or during applicable waiting periods. A pre-existing condition can also be an injury or recurrence of an injury that occurred prior to your pet’s coverage effective date.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to second that you need pet insurance regardless of the UTI. My mistake with my dog and Cushings is that I got on my high horse when ASPCA excluded it (and I want to restate that Cushings has no 180 day or 18 months window....once you have it, you have it) and refused to insure him.......right before the melanoma debacle which they would have covered as it was not pre existing. The guy never had a single skin condition right up until that big black lump on his leg.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any chance anyone in the Chicago have experienced similar issue?
I'm from the Chicago area and we have several other active members from the windy city. I'm not sure what area you're located in but there are quite a few emergency vets in and around the city. It might be beneficial to take your cat to a feline only veterinary practice. That way you would not necessarily need to go to an emergency vet.