Any ideas?

gmmarin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Diesel. It doesn't really matter much, but I am a little curious. I figure him for just a DSH, but maybe has another mix in there somewhere, because he's certainly far different from any other car I've owned, and my favorite. I almost thought him part Mau early on because he was mostly spots, but now I don't know.I adopted him last year as a kitten from the Maricopa Animal Shelter. As a 2 month old kitten, he was medium grey with spots and only a few stripes. His coat is now a darker grey with black markings and the spots have connected to make stripes, and about 9 pounds. His hind legs are a bit taller, making him look like he's tip-toeing on the back. He was catching birds in mid-flight and lizards from across the yard by the time he was 4 months old, and has left me at least 40 plus gifts in the first year, as has eaten many more. He left me a dove yesterday. He's the fastest kitty I've ever seen and has a huge primordial pouch. He follows my son when he takes the dog for a walk and seems insulted and gets verbal if he's not allowed to go for a walk if he wants to tag along. He's not much of a wanderer, he might go say hi to the neighbors for a scratch or rub, but has taken his cues from my dog about staying in the yard and sitting for his treats. He's spends 95% of his time at ground level and rarely climbs trees or scales the block wall unless he's going to the front. He's intolerant to cool weather and spends more time indoors during cooler months. Has gooseberry green eyes. He wiggles his tail when he's both happy or angry. I've never had a cat do happy flicking, but he does when he's laying on his back sprawled out and you pet just his chest, head or neck. He loves to chase and be chased. While he likes attention, rubs, scratching, and the occasional brushing, he doesn't care for being held for very long, it's really all on his terms. He's not very verbal. He only meows (hardly call it that) when he's hungry, wants something, or is annoyed by my son. He does chatter at laser pointers on walls, birds in trees and lizards on walls; locating prey . He has no problem with retaliating against my son; chasing, biting, ambushing him when he's being a pest. He loves hide-n-seek..

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

You guessed right; your kitty is a domestic shorthair, appears to be a mackeral tabby pattern. This pattern, is when they have stripes like yours.  His are a bit diffuse it appears from the photo, but there for sure.  

Egyptian Mau's are incredibly rare breeds and it's highly unlikely that Diesel has this in his background.  A huge percentage of cats are mixed breed, only a small amount are purebred and those who breed professionally keep strict control over their cats at all times.  In fact, I did some research and only about 20 states breed the Mau, and Arizona isn't one of them.  Of course someone could have purchased one from another state and brought it to Arizona but the chances then of it getting out and breeding are practically zero.

Diesel looks to be quite the handful and an incredibly good hunter.  I love the photo of him and the bird.  Can't wait to see more of him!

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First welcome to TCS. :wavey:

Wow Diesel is a gorgeous boy !!

You are right he is a domestic shorthair. His colour is a blue classic tabby.
Blue cats are my favourite ;)

All tabby patterns have spots on belly, whether a classic, mackerel or ticked pattern

He certainly is one good looking boy and it sounds like he has a great personality and character.
I love the third picture with the bird and feathers everywhere. :crackup: