Any Ideas What My Fluffy Foster Is?

tolclci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have recently took in this beautiful boy as his current foster is unable to keep him for a while. Ramón was stuck in a tree for 12 days before being rescued and we found out today he is FeLV+. He has had such a hard start and is only 10 months, poor thing.
I'd be very grateful if anyone has any indication to what breed of cat he is. You can probably see by the photos he has very long fur and lots of it!
20170710_201354.png
20170710_201505.png
20170710_201331.png
20170710_201533.png

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
With that muzzle he is a nice Maine Coon lookalike. It's impossible to prove for certain (short of a DNA test) if he actually has any Maine Coon influence, so he would be called a black Domestic Longhair. He is gorgeous!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to notice hes is quite slender in the body. All the fill up is because of the fur. If he had a longer muzzle I would compare him to a Javanese, ie a longhaired Oriental. But not with that muzzle. Im stuck.

Re his Felv+ - Till you know better, take some precautions. Be sure he is unstressed, has good food, etc. As Felv, alike many other diseases, tends to be dormant if everything is OK, but may burst out in changed or worsened conditions.

Best is if he doesnt has contact with cats whom arent felv+, or is alone cat - because there ARE some contagion risks, not great but bigger than for example, Fiv+. So you must know what you are doing.

That said, The felv test isnt intirely reliable, especially the standard quick test sometimes show false. So do a second test before you do anything dramatic.
And especially testing kittens may be unreliable...

Another source for false test results, is if he was vaccinated against Felv - the vaccinated cats will always show as Felv+.
For an owned home cat this has no practical consequences, but its dangerous if the cat becomes homeless....

One of the reasons we usually DONT recommend to vaccinate routinely against Felv...