Any Ideas On What Could Be Wrong With Kitten?

bonnie1smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat Friends,

Earl is 13 weeks old, and I've had him for 3 weeks and his appearance seems to be deteriorating. His right ear is losing hair, is red and warm to the touch, and has scabs. He now has a small bump, or lesion, above his lip on the right side. His eyes have watered from day one, he has blocked tear ducts.

He is up to date on all vaccinations and deworming.

I'm using chamomile compresses on his eyes, putting polysporin or coconut oil on his scabs and giving him 500mg of L-lysine / day.
IMG_0040.jpg
He's seen 2 vets for these issues and both said nothing is wrong, but he looks like he has a fungus or something to me. So I'm taking him to a 3rd vet this afternoon, but in the meantime, do these symptoms look familiar to any of you cat experts out there?

Any talking points I can share with my vet would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mel & Earl.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Missing fur can be due to any number of environmental factors, but the two biggest culprits are stress or fleas. My girl cat has a whole bunch of missing fur on her belly and the back of her legs and the vet said this is caused by stress. We used to live in a nice quiet house by ourselves, but now we live in a basement with other people above us and all kinds of noise. She is a high strung kitty who doesn't like loud noises so I'm assuming this is the cause. My other cat Butch was also loosing fur and had scabs but the vet gave him a shot of Depo-Medrol and he cleared right up. However, now after a month, he is showing signs of scabs and such on his face again. I'm learning that this can be a huge guessing game as to what your cat is allergic to or causing the skin reactions. It can be fleas, dust mites, dry air, pollen, their food, etc.

There are such things as cat dermatologists, who can tell what is causing their skin issues, but I hear they can be pricey.

lizamcm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is really cute. Maybe a food allergy? Hope your third vet visit gives you some answers.