Any ideas on making an interactive toy for a very bored cat?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ping pong ball in an empty kleenex box. Rolled up piece of paper in an empty kleenex box. Just make sure you're available to remove kleenex box from cat head. (Not a toy to leave out).

Shipping boxes with holes cut in them and taped together, making large castles - hide treats and toys inside different "rooms."

The main thing? Rotate the toys. Literally put them away, and change up what's out and what you use every few days. Old toys become new toys if they haven't seem them for a couple of weeks. I find this keeps the interest level up.

I also "marinate" the furry mice, etc. in a baggie with catnip when they're out of rotation.

An easy way to entertain while cleaning: tie long strings with toys on the end to your belt while you vacuum, dust, etc. to make interactive toys that don't require your hands.

BTW, for cat TV, we find the stick-on suction up bird feeders by Droll Yankees to be the best - stuck on windows where there are cat perches. The birds flying right into their faces seems to be far more interesting that birds a few feet away from the window. And the squirrels enjoy taunting them. :lol3:

Also, if you have cat trees, try shoving several of them next to each other, rather than having them individually standing around. The larger area of different heights takes their running and leaping around to a whole new level... We also found that moving the cat trees around keeps THEM more interesting. :)

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just picked up a Neckofly toy as well and my cat is also going bonkers. As soon as I unwrapped it from its package he was attacking it. lol

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neko flies are a favorite here too. They don't work well for seeing/hearing impaired cats though - the part that makes the noise is at the end of the wand, not where the toy is located - my only complaint. :lol3:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats Bella & Thunder are always sleeping. I have plenty of cat toys but all they want to do sleep. Sometimes when they are in a good mood,they chase each other and fight. I don't think any toy  I buy they would be happy with.

dejolane

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to find a toy that doesn't make noise for Tiny. He hates beeping, jingling, and such. I think it just annoys him. He likes to get his claws into things, though.

I may simply resort to the old "stuff a sock with newspaper and catnip" trick. The socks never last long, but what else are you going to do with odd socks?

gussy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad the Neko wand toys have been such a hit for the kitties represented on this board. I guess my cat isn't the only crazy one. 
 I don't know about all of them, but the Kragonfly doesn't make any noise beyond normal noise of landing, bouncing, etc. There are no bells or any extra noisemakers.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, none of the toys with Neko flies make noise. But where the toy connects to the wand - the metal parts make noise. In most wand toys, that metal connector is at the end of the string, where the toy is. For my one-eyed, hearing impaired kitty, having that little "rattle" in the wrong places makes it a difficult toy for her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely could! But she's got plenty of other toys. The Neko was instrumental for Billy, who didn't really respond to mice, feathers, "rabbit tails," etc. It's the bugs that really get him moving - the karantula is the absolute favorite bar none here. :D

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its something to see how they both react differently to them...the older one wants to stalk it and pounce..the younger one just wants to chase it...

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LDG,

How did you get your cat to take a picture like that ? My cats just run away from the camera. One day I'll get their picture on here.

dejolane

rosti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stuff a sock with polyester and catnip, and my cats go crazy over it! 

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What drives either of my 2 cats up a wall is if I take a piece of rope, about a 4' long piece and put it under cloth on top of the sofa, often when I watch TV and they are near/next to me. Then I very slowly pull at one end of the rope so that they can feel it move under the cloth, Th9is drives them wild. They will play any time of the day or night if I do thins, and I should do this more often. I need to read this whole thread and hopefully get my guys some more exercise.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep buy mice with cat nip.No interest at all. I roll balls with bells,nothing. I once got a little response with a golf ball and a lazer,. But thats about it.

Last edited: