Any idea what’s going on with my cats paw pads?

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His feet have been getting very dry. We have been balming them daily so they don’t crack, but if we didn’t balm them as much as we do, I can’t imagine how bad they would get.

I included 2 photos. The first with both feet is before balming, the second with one foot is what they look like after balming them. All 4 paws are like this, but his 2 hind paws seem to be dryer than his 2 front. Looking for any and all possibilities. I’ve read about Pododermatitis (pillow foot), but visually this doesn’t look like that to me. We’ve tried different litters with little to no change, he refused to use anything that isn’t clay so he is currently using the unscented dr elseys. He isn’t dehydrated, he gets fish oil added to his wet food daily. I’m just kind of at a loss. We had chalked it up to allergies, for a while he had quite the affinity for chewing and licking at his paws. Since then he’s been put on daily prednisolone which has hands down decreased the overgrooming of his paws by atleast 80% , but yet the dryness persists. We have 3 other cats in the household, and none of them are having issues with dry paws, and the current humidity in the house sits at around 35-40% so it’s not really dry in here. Just confused and looking for input. Thanks

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you considered a food allergy? Magnus's main sign of a food allergy was swelling and discharge in his toe nail beds. You can try a different protein food or LID diet to check.

The second thing I'll ask as it happened to another poster here is if you are using ANY cleaners that contain pine or other ingredients toxic to cats, especially on your floors. For example Pine Sol cleaner is toxic to cats and his pads would have the most contact with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered a food allergy? Magnus's main sign of a food allergy was swelling and discharge in his toe nail beds. You can try a different protein food or LID diet to check.

The second thing I'll ask as it happened to another poster here is if you are using ANY cleaners that contain pine or other ingredients toxic to cats, especially on your floors. For example Pine Sol cleaner is toxic to cats and his pads would have the most contact with it.
We are not using any cleaners on our floors that are toxic to cats. As for the food allergy aspect, we aren’t really able to even test it. He’s a PU cat and has to be on Hills CD and I have searched and searched and nobody makes a hypoallergenic prescription urinary food for cats 😞

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
How are his kidney numbers? I'm a little confused, assuming the surgery was successful and his blood test numbers are good, he shouldn't be needing a prescription food. Although every cat is different, my boy was a PU kitty and did well with no special diet except for his first mama to add wet food.

However, you could look into Weruva and their brands. The WX varieties (no prescription needed) are ultra low phosphorus to the point they need to add a note that it isn't aafco compliant although all the rest of the nutrients in the WX varieties are.

Also, Evengers and Dave's have low phos varieties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
How are his kidney numbers? I'm a little confused, assuming the surgery was successful and his blood test numbers are good, he shouldn't be needing a prescription food. Although every cat is different, my boy was a PU kitty and did well with no special diet except for his first mama to add wet food.

However, you could look into Weruva and their brands. The WX varieties (no prescription needed) are ultra low phosphorus to the point they need to add a note that it isn't aafco compliant although all the rest of the nutrients in the WX varieties are.

Also, Evengers and Dave's have low phos varieties.
His kidney numbers are fine, the urinary diet is sustained because of the chain of events. He had 4 blockages leading up to his first PU surgery, and then needed a revision surgery after that. He is very prone to crystals and my vet deemed the sustained urinary diet necessary

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which variety of the C/D? I assumed the canned multicare stress relief version.

You may want to comparison check the nutritional components, especially the minerals including phosphorus on a dry matter basis of the Hills and the Weruva WX, and Weruva Truluxe et al. Especially if Hills backorders the one you're using.

However, whether the rest of his body actually needs phos etc might be a question to ask a veterinary nutritionist.

Diplomate Directory

For hydration maybe something here would help;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

For actual stress relief, are you using Cat Music for him?

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are not using any cleaners on our floors that are toxic to cats. As for the food allergy aspect, we aren’t really able to even test it. He’s a PU cat and has to be on Hills CD and I have searched and searched and nobody makes a hypoallergenic prescription urinary food for cats 😞
Could be a developed allergy to the floor cleaner in that case? Or if it began after you started using a different 'scent' of the same cleaner or laundry item.

I knew someone who had a severe reaction and developed welts on their arms from a change from Tide to the lavender scent of Tide. She wasn't allergic to lavender but of the combination of Tide's formula with lavender in it.

Could also be that your litter changed formulas and a reaction to that. Or an allergy developed to the litter?

I'm just trying to think of things you can change and account for if diet is not able to be addressed.